惠特曼《草叶集》翻译

  Title: ONE'S-SELF I SING
  题目: 我歌唱的是人






  ONE'S-SELF I sing, a simple separate person,
  我歌唱的是人,歌唱简单而独立存在着的个人,

  Yet utter the word Democratic, the word En-Masse.
  而民主和大众集体,将是我歌中的唱词。






  Of physiology from top to toe I sing,
  我所歌唱的人,是指包括从头到脚的完整形态的人啊,

  Not physiognomy alone nor brain alone is worthy for the
  因为仅仅是外貌,或者头脑,都还不值得诗人把灵感

  Muse, I say the Form complete is worthier far,
  贡献,但是我要说,这完整的形态则远远地更值得歌唱,

  The Female equally with the Male I sing.
  至于女性,我也要平等地把她们与男性一起歌唱。





  Of Life immense in passion, pulse, and power,
  这充满着激情、冲动,以及力量的生命,

  Cheerful, for freest action form'd under the laws divine,
  兴奋雀跃,按着神圣的法则无拘无束地行动,

  The Modern Man I sing.
  当代的人,我歌唱。










  Title: AS I PONDER'D IN SILENCE
  题目:当我在寂静中沉思

  As I ponder'd in silence,
  当我在寂静中沉思,
  Returning upon my poems, considering, lingering long,
  思绪回到我的诗句,长长地思索、徘徊,
  A Phantom arose before me with distrustful aspect,
  一个幽灵般的幻影出现在我的眼前,面带犹疑,
  Terrible in beauty, age, and power,
  这幻影无比美丽,与岁月永恒,充满力量,
  The genius of poets of old lands,
  这是旧大陆诗人们的精魂,
  As to me directing like flame its eyes,
  它用火焰般的眼睛直视着我,
  With finger pointing to many immortal songs,
  它的手指向那无数的不朽诗章,
  And menacing voice, What singest thou? it said,
  用逼人的语调,你歌唱的是什么?它说,
  Know'st thou not there is but one theme for ever-enduring bards?
  难道你不知道不朽的诗人,只吟唱唯一的一个主题?
  And that is the theme of War, the fortune of battles,
  这个主题就是战争,战斗中的命运,
  The making of perfect soldiers.
  完美战士们的成长。

  Be it so, then I answer'd,
  让它们去吧,这是我听完后的回答,
  I too haughty Shade also sing war, and a longer and greater one than any,
  我的魂灵同样高傲,我也歌唱战争,但那是一场比任何其它的战争都更长更伟大的战争,
  Waged in my book with varying fortune, with flight, advance and retreat, victory deferr'd and wavering,
  我在我的书里展示各种各样的命运,有溃逃,前进与后退,胜利在推迟在摇晃,
  (Yet methinks certain, or as good as certain, at the last,) the field the world,
  (但是我想最后的胜利是确定的,或者差不多是确定的,)这场战争啊,将以整个世界作为战场,
  For life and death, for the Body and for the eternal Soul,
  这是为了生命和死亡的战斗,这是为了肉体也为了永恒灵魂的战斗,
  Lo, I too am come, chanting the chant of battles,
  喏,我也会来参加,高唱着战歌,
  I above all promote brave soldiers.
  我最先赞颂的啊,是那勇敢的战士。
  Title: IN CABIN'D SHIPS AT SEA
  题目:在海上那些有舱室的大船上


  IN cabin'd ships at sea,
  在海上那些有舱室的大船上,
  The boundless blue on every side expanding,
  无边蓝色向四方伸展,
  With whistling winds and music of the waves, the large imperious waves,
  伴着风儿吹出的笛哨,和浪儿,那巨大而傲慢的浪啊,奏出的乐声,
  Or some lone bark buoy'd on the dense marine,
  或者在某一条漂泊在厚稠海面的孤独小舟上,
  Where joyous full of faith, spreading white sails,
  在那里她快乐而充满信心,伸展开白色的帆,
  She cleaves the ether mid the sparkle and the foam of day, or under many a star at night,
  在白天闪着亮光泛着泡沫的海水之中,或是在夜晚的繁星点点之下,她劈开了那无边的海疆,
  By sailors young and old haply will I, a reminiscence of the land, be read,
  In full rapport at last.
  在这些地方,那些老老少少的水手,最终都会偶然地,把我,作为一种对陆地的纪念,
  以一种非常亲密的方式读起。

  Here are our thoughts, voyagers' thoughts,
  这里讲的是我们的思想,航海者的思想,
  Here not the land, firm land, alone appears, may then by them be said,
  这里说的不仅仅有大地,那坚实的大地,那时他们或许会这样说。
  The sky o'erarches here, we feel the undulating deck beneath our feet,
  这里的天似穹庐覆盖,我们在脚下感觉着甲板的起伏,
  We feel the long pulsation, ebb and flow of endless motion.
  我们触摸到悠长的律动,潮起潮落无穷的运动,
  The tones of unseen mystery, the vague and vast suggestions of the briny world, the liquid-flowing syllables,
  看不见的神秘物体哼着曲子,咸涩的世界里隐晦宏大的联想,水流一样的音节,
  The perfume, the faint creaking of the cordage, the melancholy rhythm,
  芬芳的气息,缆绳微弱的吱嘎声,悲怆的旋律,
  The boundless vista and the horizon far and dim are all here,
  渺茫无边的视野,遥远暗淡的地平线,所有这些都写在这里,
  And this is ocean's poem.
  这是海洋的诗篇。

  Then falter not O book, fulfil your destiny,
  所以,哦,我的书儿,不必再犹豫,去完成你的使命吧,
  You not a reminiscence of the land alone,
  因为你不仅仅是对大地的纪念,
  You too as a lone bark cleaving the ether, purpos'd I know not whither, yet ever full of faith,
  你也是一只劈浪的孤寂小舟,虽然我不知道你要去往哪里,可是你永远都充满信心,
  Consort to every ship that sails, sail you!
  与海上航行的船儿一起去哟,起航啊,你!
  Bear forth to them folded my love, (dear mariners, for you I fold it here in every leaf;)
  满载我深藏的爱驶向他们,(亲爱的水手啊,我在这每一页里都藏下了对你们的爱,)

  Speed on my book! spread your white sails my little bark athwart the imperious waves,
  我的书儿,快快航行!我的小小的舟儿,横跨那傲视一切的海浪,伸展开你白色的帆,
  Chant on, sail on, bear o'er the boundless blue from me to every sea,
  高歌向前,扬帆向前,从我这儿出发,穿越无边蔚蓝,去往每一片海疆,
  This song for mariners and all their ships.
  把这首歌唱给所有的水手和他们的航船。
  Title: TO FOREIGN LANDS
  题目:致美国以外的国度

  I HEARD that you ask'd for something to prove this puzzle the New World,
  我听说你们在寻找证据来解开新世界这个谜团,
  And to define America, her athletic Democracy,
  想给美利坚下个定义,定义她如运动员般强健的民主,
  Therefore I send you my poems that you behold in them what you wanted.
  因此我把我写的诗送给你们,在里面你们能找到你们想找的东西。

  Title: TO A HISTORIAN
  题目:致一位历史学家

  YOU who celebrate bygones,
  你,赞美过往岁月,
  Who have explored the outward, the surfaces of the races,the life that has exhibited itself,
  探索世界的外在,不同种族的表象,还有生命主动展示给你的那部分内容,
  Who have treated of man as the creature of politics, aggregates, rulers and priests,
  你,把人看成了政治生物,社会群氓,王侯将相和术士巫师,
  I, habitan of the Alleghanies, treating of him as he is in himself in his own rights,
  而我,艾丽盖尼的山民,我只把人当成他自己,当成拥有天赋权力的人的自身,
  Pressing the pulse of the life that has seldom exhibited itself, (the great pride of man in himself),
  我触摸到生命的脉搏,这脉搏很少向人袒露真实的脉象,(这脉象啊,就是他自己心中的伟大尊严),
  Chanter of Personality, outlining what is yet to be, I project the history of the future.
  我是人格的歌颂者,我勾画将会实现的理想,我投射未来将要走过的历程。
  Title: TO THEE OLD CAUSE
  题目:献给你,密如老友的事业


  To thee old cause!
  献给你,密如老友的事业!
  Thou peerless, passionate, good cause,
  你是无以伦比的,充满热情,充满美好的事业,
  Thou stern, remorseless, sweet idea,
  你有坚定、无悔、甜蜜的理念,
  Deathless throughout the ages, races, lands,
  经历无尽岁月,在每个种族心中,在每片土地之上永不熄灭,
  After a strange sad war, great war for thee,
  在一场不同寻常与悲伤的战争,一场为你展开的伟大的战争之后,
  (I think all war through time was really fought, and ever will be really fought, for thee,)
  (我相信,一切已经发生的战争其实是为你展开,一切将要发生的战争其实也是为你展开,)
  These chants for thee, the eternal march of thee.
  请听这些为你而颂的歌声,踏上你那无尽的征程。

  (A war O soldiers not for itself alone,
  (这是一场,哦,战士们啊,并非仅仅为了战争本身而展开的战斗,
  Far, far more stood silently waiting behind, now to advance in this book.)
  这场战斗曾经远远,远远地站在后面默默等待,如今在我的书里向前进发。)

  Thou orb of many orbs!
  你是万物要遵遁的轨道之中的轨道!
  Thou seething principle! thou well-kept, latent germ! thou centre!
  你是让人心血沸腾的信念!你是潜伏着的被精心保护的幼芽!你就是一切的中心!
  Around the idea of thee the war revolving,
  围绕着你的信念,战争在进行,
  With all its angry and vehement play of causes,
  各种愤怒和热情的思想在战争中交锋演绎,
  (With vast results to come for thrice a thousand years,)
  (三千年来这样的交锋产生了多么深远的影响啊,)
  These recitatives for thee, —— my book and the war are one,
  在对你的吟诵中,----我的书和这场战争将唱出同样的曲调,
  Merged in its spirit I and mine, as the contest hinged on thee,
  我和我的书也将融入战斗的精魂,成为对你不舍的追求,
  As a wheel on its axis turns, this book unwitting to itself,
  就像车轮围绕车轴,我的书啊,无法克制地,
  Around the idea of thee.
  围绕着你的思想而转。
  Title: EIDóLONS
  题目:精神之魂


  I MET a seer,
  我遇见了一个能预知未来的人,
  Passing the hues and objects of the world,
  他从有形和无形的世界中穿过,
  The fields of art and learning, pleasure, sense,
  在艺术与知识的田野上,从贪欢享乐中,从理性智识里,
  To glean eidólons.
  像拾捡麦穗,把精神之魂拾捡。


  Put in thy chants said he,
  把它们写进你的赞歌,他说,
  No more the puzzling hour nor day, nor segments, parts, put in,
  不要再写那些令人困惑的时间和日子,或者那些片段与零碎,
  Put first before the rest as light for all and entrance-song of all,
  要把它们置于一切之先啊,就像世界要先有光,合唱要从第一首歌开始,
  That of eidólons.
  这就是那些精神之魂。

  Ever the dim beginning,
  它们总是处在朦胧的初生,
  Ever the growth, the rounding of the circle,
  它们总是在成长之中,总是在变得完满无缺,
  Ever the summit and the merge at last, (to surely start again,)
  它们总是处在高峰的顶点,并最终消逝,(为了毫无疑义地再次重生,)
  Eidólons! eidólons!
  精神之魂啊!精神之魂!

  Ever the mutable,
  总是自那无测的变幻中,
  Ever materials, changing, crumbling, re-cohering,
  总是自那有形的物质,那蜕变,那崩溃,那再一次的结合中,
  Ever the ateliers, the factories divine,
  总是自那艺术家的工作室,那圣洁的工厂车间中,
  Issuing eidólons.
  汩汩地流动出精神之魂。

  Lo, I or you,
  喏,无论是我还是你,
  Or woman, man, or state, known or unknown,
  无论是男人还是女人,无论是尊贵的,知名的还是不知名的,
  We seeming solid wealth, strength, beauty build,
  表面上啊,我们是在生产财富,磨练体格,创造美丽,
  But really build eidólons.
  可是实际上啊,我们是在铸造那些精神之魂。

  The ostent evanescent,
  转瞬即逝的奢华,
  The substance of an artist's mood or savan's studies long,
  艺术家灵感的创造,或者学者长期研究的成果,
  Or warrior's, martyr's, hero's toils,
  或者战士、殉道者、英雄的磨难,
  To fashion his eidólon.
  装饰着各自的精神之魂。

  Of every human life,
  把每一个人的生命,
  (The units gather'd, posted, not a thought, emotion, deed, left out,)
  (把生命中每一个单元聚拢,昭示啊,不遗漏每一片思想,每一段情感,每一次经历,)
  The whole or large or small summ'd, added up,
  把那完整的生命,无论是壮观还是渺小,都累积起来,叠加起来,
  In its eidólon.
  放进各自的精神之魂。

  The old, old urge,
  攸长,古老的呼唤,
  Based on the ancient pinnacles, lo, newer, higher pinnacles,
  来自那些远古高塔的塔尖,喏,一些更新更高的尖塔啊,
  From science and the modern still impell'd,
  又从科学与时代吸取动力,继续推动
  The old, old urge, eidólons.
  这古老,悠长的呼唤,那些精神之魂。

  The present now and here,
  现在,此时此地,
  America's busy, teeming, intricate whirl,
  美利坚啊,无论是你宏观的总体还是微观的细部,
  Of aggregate and segregate for only thence releasing,
  To-day's eidólons.
  你都是那么令人眩晕地忙碌,拥挤,纷繁复杂,
  但唯有如此啊,才能把当代的精神之魂释放。

  (Continue)
  (续)


  These with the past,
  把与过去有关的事物,
  Of vanish'd lands, of all the reigns of kings across the sea,
  那些湮灭的国度,大洋对岸的所有王朝,
  Old conquerors, old campaigns, old sailor's voyages,
  古代的征服者,逝去的战争,前辈水手的航程,
  Joining eidólons.
  都融合进那些精神之魂。

  Densities, growth, fa?ades,
  内涵或深或浅,成长参差不齐,面孔各式各样,
  Strata of mountains, soils, rocks, giant trees,
  在山脉的地层里,在土壤里,在岩石里,在大树里,
  Far-born, far-dying, living long, to leave,
  有的诞生于远逝的过去,有的谢幕在遥远的将来,有的长久活跃,有的行将离去,Eidólons everlasting.
  精神之魂啊,不朽永恒。

  Exaltè, rapt, ecstatic,
  兴奋,狂喜,亢奋,
  The visible but their womb of birth,
  Of orbic tendencies to shape and shape and shape,
  The mighty earth-eidólon.
  满目所见的都是那些非凡的大地之精神魂魄,
  向着那完美的最终形态,在孕育着它们的子宫里,
  形成,形成,继续形成。

  All space, all time,
  在所有的空间里,所有的时间里,
  (The stars, the terrible perturbations of the suns,
  (那些恒星们啊,那些极度地躁动不安的太阳们,
  Swelling, collapsing, ending, serving their longer, shorteruse,)
  膨胀塌陷,终结,正在完成它们长长短短的使命,)
  Fill'd with eidólons only.
  充满着的只有那些精神之魂。

  The noiseless myriads,
  成千累万,无言寂然,
  The infinite oceans where the rivers empty,
  是无穷的洋海能迎纳百河千川,
  The separate countless free identities, like eyesight,
  像视线一样,来自无限万物,彼此无系,彼此无拘,
  The true realities, eidólons.
  它们是真实的存在啊,那些精神之魂。

  Not this the world,
  所谓世界并非世界,
  Nor these the universes, they the universes,
  所谓宇宙也非宇宙,它们才是真的宇宙,
  Purport and end, ever the permanent life of life,
  它们是最终的目标与终点,它们才真正是生命中永恒之生命,
  Eidólons, eidólons.
  精神之魂啊,精神之魂。

  Beyond thy lectures learn'd professor,
  它,博学的教授,并不在你那长篇大论的理论里,
  Beyond thy telescope or spectroscope observer keen, beyond all mathematics,
  它,敏锐的观测者,也不在你的显微镜下和分光镜中,它,全部的数学学科都不能包容,
  Beyond the doctor's surgery, anatomy, beyond the chemist with his chemistry,
  它,医生的外科手术、人体解剖,并不能涵盖,它,化学家的化学知识全不能概括,
  The entities of entities, eidólons.
  它是本质中的本质啊,它是那些精神之魂。

  Unfixed yet fix'd,
  变化不定,却又扎实牢固,
  Ever shall be, ever have been and are,
  无疑呀,它们将会,无疑呀,它们已经并且正在,
  Sweeping the present to the infinite future,
  席卷起现在,冲向无穷的未来,
  Eidólons, eidólons, eidólons.
  精神之魂,精神之魂,精神之魂。

  The prophet and the bard,
  先知和诗人啊,
  Shall yet maintain themselves, in higher stages yet,
  他们自己必须保持在更高更高的高度,
  Shall mediate to the Modern, to Democracy, interpret yet to them,
  他们将成为当代和民主的信使,同时还要向它们,传达和诠释那些,
  God and eidólons.
  来自上帝与精神之魂的声音。

  And thee my soul,
  至于你自己啊,我的灵魂,
  Joys, ceaseless exercises, exaltations,
  多少次欢乐的洗礼,不休的磨练,多少次的升华,
  Thy yearning amply fed at last, prepared to meet,
  你的渴望终于得到了完全的满足啊,你已准备充分要去会合,
  Thy mates, eidólons.
  你的伙伴,那些精神之魂。

  Thy body permanent,
  你那不死的真身,
  The body lurking there within thy body,
  潜藏在你身体内部的那个真身啊,
  The only purport of the form thou art, the real I myself,
  那是有形身体存在的唯一目的,是真正的我的自我,
  An image, an eidólon.
  那是一个影像,是一个精神之魂。

  Thy very songs not in thy songs,
  真正属于你的歌声并不是你所唱的歌声,
  No special strains to sing, none for itself,
  那歌声并不需要特别的曲调,也根本没有属于它自己的曲调,
  But from the whole resulting, rising at last and floating,
  但是从所有这一切之中,将会产生,渐渐升起,并且飘荡飞扬,
  A round full-orb'd eidólon.
  一个像完整的球体那样完美的精神之魂。
  Title: FOR HIM I SING
  题目:我为他歌唱

  FOR him I sing,
  我为他歌唱,
  I raise the present on the past,
  我举起现在,放在过去之上,
  (As some perennial tree out of its roots, the present on the past,)
  (就像历久长青的树木从根上生长,现在在过往之上生长,)
  With time and space I him dilate and fuse the immortal laws,
  我让他,在时间和空间里扩张,我把他,与永恒的法则融合,
  To make himself by them the law unto himself.
  我用这些,使他成为他自己的法则。
  Title: WHEN I READ THE BOOK
  题目:当我读起那本书

  WHEN I read the book, the biography famous,
  当我读起那本书,那本著名的传记,
  And is this then (said I) what the author calls a man's life?
  难道(我说)这就是这位作者记录的一个人的生命?
  And so will some one when I am dead and gone write my life?
  然后,当我死了逝去之后,也会有这么一个家伙来写我的生命?
  (As if any man really knew aught of my life,
  (装模作样好像真地有人了解我生命中所有的零碎,
  Why even I myself I often think know little or nothing of my real life,
  而其实就算是我自己也常常想到,对我的真实的生命我所了解的是那么少甚至是毫不了然,
  Only a few hints, a few diffused faint clews and indirections
  除了这一点点线索,这一点点散乱的爪痕和转弯抹角的暗示,
  I seek for my own use to trace out here.)
  这些我为了自己的需要而勾勒在这里的东西。)
  Title:BEGINNING MY STUDIES
  题目:我的探索刚刚开始

  BEGINNING my studies the first step pleas'd me so much,
  我的探索刚刚开始,这第一步就让我如此欣喜,
  The mere fact consciousness, these forms, the power of motion,
  仅仅是触碰到了精神的存在,看见了这些实在的形态,感受到了运动的动力,
  The least insect or animal, the senses, eyesight, love,
  还有最渺小的昆虫或者动物,还有感觉,还有视线,还有爱,
  The first step I say awed me and pleas'd me so much,
  我要说仅仅这第一步的景象啊,就令我这般敬畏,叫我如此欣喜,
  I have hardly gone and hardly wish'd to go any farther,
  我几乎没法再往前行,也几乎不想走得更远,
  But stop and loiter all the time to sing it in ecstatic songs.
  我只想在此永远停留,用狂喜的歌声把它咏唱。
  Title:BEGINNERS
  题目:先驱者

  HOW they are provided for upon the earth, (appearing at intervals,)
  要怎样啊,世界上才能出现他们这样的人,(零散而萧疏地现出身形,)
  How dear and dreadful they are to the earth,
  多么地可爱而又可畏啊,对于世界,他们是如此的一群,
  How they inure to themselves as much as to any —— what a paradox appears their age,
  他们要怎样勉强地适应着别人甚至适应着自己呀 —— 对他们来说,时代是那么地荒谬,
  How people respond to them, yet know them not,
  为什么人们愿意响应他们啊,可是对他们却毫不了解,
  How there is something relentless in their fate all times,
  为什么总有那些残酷啊,在他们的命运之中,
  How all times mischoose the objects of their adulation and reward,
  为什么总是会错误地选择啊,他们刻意迎合的目标和想要得到的酬答,
  And how the same inexorable price must still be paid for the same great purchase.
  还有,为什么如此伟大的成就啊,总是必须用同样无情的代价才能换取。
  Title: TO THE STATES
  题目:致联邦

  TO the States or any one of them, or any city of the States,
  致联邦,联邦中的每一个州,联邦里的每一个城市,
  Resist much, obey little,
  要竭力抗争啊,决不顺从,
  Once unquestioning obedience, once fully enslaved,
  一旦无条件顺从啊,就会被彻底奴役,
  Once fully enslaved, no nation, state, city, of this earth, ever afterward resumes its liberty.
  一旦被彻底奴役啊,在这地球上,无论是哪个民族,哪个邦国,哪个城市,都再也不能重获它的自由。
  Title: ON JOURNEYS THROUGH THE STATES
  题目:在横跨美国的旅途上

  ON journeys through the States we start,
  我们开始这旅途,去横跨美国,
  (Ay through the world, urged by these songs,
  (哎,在这些歌儿的激励下,我们将横跨世界,
  Sailing henceforth to every land, to every sea,)
  从这儿出发,驶向每一片土地,每一片海洋,)
  We willing learners of all, teachers of all, and lovers of all.
  我们心甘情愿,做所有人的学生,所有人的老师,和所有人的爱侣。

  We have watch'd the seasons dispensing themselves and passing on,
  我们看到了四季如何将自己划分,并且如何地交替相接,
  And have said, Why should not a man or woman do as much as the seasons, and effuse as much?
  我们也曾说,难道人,莫管是男人还是女人,就不能也让自己像四季一样殊异千姿,并且奉献良多?

  We dwell a while in every city and town,
  我们在每个城市和集镇驻足小住,
  We pass through Kanada, the North-east, the vast valley of the Mississippi, and the Southern States,
  我们穿过加拿大,穿过东北边疆,穿过密西西比那广袤的河谷,以及南部的各个州郡,
  We confer on equal terms with each of the States,
  每一个州啊,我们都与它们平等相商,
  We make trial of ourselves and invite men and women to hear,
  我们审问自己,并且邀请男人们和女人们都来旁听,
  We say to ourselves, Remember, fear not, be candid,promulge the body and the soul,
  我们对自己说,记住,不要害怕,要坦白直率,把肉体和灵魂都向四方播散,
  Dwell a while and pass on, be copious, temperate, chaste, magnetic,
  驻足小住啊,然后继续行进,我们要学识过人,我们要稳健节制,我们要高尚纯洁,我们要魅力超凡,
  And what you effuse may then return as the seasons return,
  像四季循环轮回,那些你所播撒奉献的,还将回归你的怀中,
  And may be just as much as the seasons.
  并且你所收回的,也正像四季一样繁茂丰富。
  Title: TO A CERTAIN CANTATRICE
  题目:致某个女歌唱家

  HERE, take this gift,
  来,把这份礼物拿去,
  I was reserving it for some hero, speaker, or general,
  我本想将它留给某个英雄,演说家,或者将军,
  One who should serve the good old cause, the great idea, the progress and freedom of the race,
  留给那将要奉献于那美好而古老的事业,奉献于伟大的思想,奉献于人类的进步和自由的人,
  Some brave confronter of despots, some daring rebel;
  留给那勇敢地面对专制君主的人,留给那大胆的叛逆者;
  But I see that what I was reserving belongs to you just as much as to any.
  但此时我发现你与他们中的任何一个一样,同样值得得到我这份迟迟不肯送出的礼物。
  Title: ME IMPERTURBE
  题目:我沉静地

  ME imperturbe, standing at ease in Nature,
  我沉静地,在天地间悠然直立,
  Master of all or mistress of all, aplomb in the midst of irrational things,
  我是万物的主人,我是万物的主母,于无理性的万物之中,我镇定直立,
  Imbued as they, passive, receptive, silent as they,
  我像它们一样充实,也像它们一样驯服,顺受,无声无息,
  Finding my occupation, poverty, notoriety, foibles, crimes, less important than I thought,
  我的职业,我的贫困,我的昭著臭名,我的怪癖恶习,我所犯的罪恶,其实啊,都没有我曾经以为的那么重要,
  Me toward the Mexican sea, or in the Mannahatta or the Tennessee, or far north or inland,
  无论我面朝墨西哥的大海,还是身在曼纳哈塔,或者是在田纳西,在北方远疆以及内陆深处A river man, or a man of the woods or of any farm-life of these States or of the coast, or the lakes or Kanada,
  ,
  无论我是一个河畔渔夫,还是林中猎手,或者无论是在某一个州,某个海滨,大湖地区或是加拿大度着农庄生涯,
  Me wherever my life is lived, O to be self-balanced for contingencies,
  无论我生活在何地何方啊,哦,面对意外偶然,让我能处变不惊,
  To confront night, storms, hunger, ridicule, accidents, rebuffs, as the trees and animals do.
  勇敢面对黑夜,风暴,饥饿,嘲讽,事故,挫折,像树木和动物们一样地勇敢面对。


  Title: SAVANTISM
  题目:穷源求真的学者精神

  THITHER as I look I see each result and glory retracing itself and nestling close, always obligated,
  朝那儿我看去,我看到,每一个结果,每一种荣耀,都犹如一项必尽的义务,要把自己的源泉追溯到那里,让自己紧紧依偎在那里,
  Thither hours, months, years —— thither trades, compacts, establishments, even the most minute,
  时刻,日月,年岁都发源自那里----贸易,契约,公司机构,最微细的活动和组织都根植在那里,
  Thither every-day life, speech, utensils, politics, persons, estates;
  日常的生活,言谈,用具,政治活动,人,阶级,都依赖于那里,
  Thither we also, I with my leaves and songs, trustful, admirant,
  我带着我的片片草叶和首首歌儿,我们也忠实而景慕地朝向那里啊,
  As a father to his father going takes his children along with him.
  就像一个父亲,带着自己的孩子们一起,向自己的父亲走去。
  Title: THE SHIP STARTING
  题目:船儿正在起航

  LO, the unbounded sea,
  喏,这无边的大海,
  On its breast a ship starting, spreading all sails, carrying even her moonsails,
  在它的胸膛上,有一条船正在起航,所有的帆都在张开,就连月帆也都挂上,
  The pennant is flying aloft as she speeds she speeds so stately
  —— below emulous waves press forward,
  船儿在飞驰,三角旗高高飘扬,船儿飞驰,姿态如此端庄----在她身下激荡的浪头被推向前方,
  They surround the ship with shining curving motions and foam.
  波浪绕着船啊,泛起泡沫,上下起伏翻着闪亮的波光。
  @诸11 2015-02-27 22:52:17
  好贴
  -----------------------------
  谢谢捧场。新年快乐。
  Title: I HEAR AMERICA SINGING
  题目:我听见美利坚在歌唱

  I HEAR America singing, the varied carols I hear,
  我听见美利坚在歌唱,各种各样的颂歌呀,我都听到,
  Those of mechanics, each one singing his as it should be blithe and strong,
  机械工人唱起他们的歌,每人的唱法都不同,因为他要把歌唱得快乐又雄壮,
  The carpenter singing his as he measures his plank or beam,
  木匠师傅唱起他的歌,那是他在把板材和横梁量,
  The mason singing his as he makes ready for work, or leaves off work,
  泥瓦工匠唱起他的歌,那是他在准备上工,或收工,
  The boatman singing what belongs to him in his boat, the deck-hand singing on the steamboat deck,
  船夫在唱歌,在他的小船上,唱着属于他的歌,水手在唱歌,站上了蒸汽船的甲板呀,就是他在歌唱,
  The shoemaker singing as he sits on his bench, the hatter singing as he stands,
  鞋匠在唱歌,坐在他的板凳上呀,就是他在歌唱,帽商在唱歌,站立在那里呀,就是他在歌唱,
  The wood-cutter's song, the ploughboy's on his way in the morning, or at noon intermission or at sundown,
  伐木工人有他的歌,耕田的小伙也有他的歌,清晨出工他们歌唱,午间小憩他们歌唱,夕阳落山呀,他们还歌唱,

  The delicious singing of the mother, or of the young wife at work, or of the girl sewing or washing,
  悦耳的甜歌唱起来,那是母亲在歌唱,那是年轻主妇在劳作,那是还没嫁人的姑娘呀,她在洗洗又缝缝,
  Each singing what belongs to him or her and to none else,
  每一个他或者她呀,都在唱,唱着只属于自己而不属于别人的歌,
  The day what belongs to the day —— at night the party of young fellows, robust, friendly,
  白天唱着属于白天的歌----晚上,在年轻同伴们的聚会上,那强壮而友善的声音,
  Singing with open mouths their strong melodious songs.
  又把他们美妙有力的歌曲大声歌唱。
  Title: WHAT PLACE IS BESIEGED?
  题目:什么地方被围困

  WHAT place is besieged, and vainly tries to raise the siege?
  什么地方被围困,并且一次次的失落掉解围的希望?
  Lo, I send to that place a commander, swift, brave, immortal
  喏,让我来向那儿派一个统帅,他敏捷,英勇,不死长生,
  And with him horse and foot, and parks of artillery,
  和他一起的还有马军步军,成群的大炮,
  And artillery-men, the deadliest that ever fired gun
  加上那些炮兵,和从没见过的最要命的大炮。


  Title: STILL THOUGH THE ONE I SING
  题目:即使是这样,我还是要歌颂这样的人

  STILL though the one I sing,
  即使是这样,我还是要歌颂这样的人,
  (One, yet of contradictions made,) I dedicate to Nationality,
  (肉体是一个整体,精神却充满矛盾,)我把他奉献于我们的民族,
  I leave in him revolt, (O latent right of insurrection! O quenchless, indispensable fire!)
  我把叛逆留存在他的心底,(哦,这是潜伏着的反抗的天性!哦,这是无法熄灭也片刻难离的烈焰!)

  Title: SHUT NOT YOUR DOORS
  题目:不要关上你的大门

  SHUT not your doors to me proud libraries,
  不要朝我关上你的大门,傲气的图书馆们,
  For that which was lacking on all your well-fill'd shelves, yet needed most, I bring,
  因为,有一本书,一本在你所有堆满书的架子上都没法找到,却又最最为你需要的书,是我把它带来,
  Forth from the war emerging, a book I have made,
  这本书经过战斗才得以现身,这本书是我把它写成,

  The words of my book nothing, the drift of it every thing,
  我书中的字句无足轻重,但让我的书儿流传却意义非凡,
  A book separate, not link'd with the rest nor felt by the intellect,
  这本书孤独无伴,旁的书与它略无关联,睿智的学者也对它毫无知觉,
  But you ye untold latencies will thrill to every page.
  但是你们,你们这些数不清的潜在的读者啊,将为每一页而尖声叫喊。
  Title: POETS TO COME
  题目:未来的诗人们

  POETS to come! orators, singers, musicians to come!
  未来的诗人们!未来的演说家、歌手、音乐家们!
  Not to-day is to justify me and answer what I am for,
  为我进行的辩护不会在今天举行,我所追寻的答案也不会在今天得出,
  But you, a new brood, native, athletic, continental, greater than before known,
  但是你们,一群土生土长,健壮活跃,比以住所有的种族都更为伟大的新大陆人啊,
  Arouse! for you must justify me.
  请站起来!因为你们必须为我辩护。

  I myself but write one or two indicative words for the future,
  我自己只不过为未来写下了一两句隐约的文字,
  I but advance a moment only to wheel and hurry back in the darkness.
  我只是在某一瞬间冲上前来,但随即又匆匆折回黑暗。

  I am a man who, sauntering along without fully stopping, turns a casual look upon you and then averts his face,
  我是这样的一个人,他沿路闲逛漫游,但也未曾完全停下,他转头向你们投来随意的一眼然后又转脸它顾,
  Leaving it to you to prove and define it,
  留下这一切让你们来求证与解释,
  Expecting the main things from you.
  期待着那最重要的工作能由你们来完成。



  Title: TO YOU
  题目:致你

  STRANGER, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me?
  陌生人啊,如果在你我擦肩而过的时候有话要对我倾诉,那为什么你不开口对我倾吐?
  And why should I not speak to you?
  如果在你我擦肩而过的时候有话想对你倾诉,难道我就不应当开口对你倾吐?
  Title: THOU READER
  题目:你啊,我的读者

  THOU reader throbbest life and pride and love the same as I,
  你啊,我的读者,你像我一样,有着让人最血脉喷张的生活、尊严和爱情,
  Therefore for thee the following chants.
  所以啊,让我把下面的赞歌献给你。
  Title: Starting from Paumanok (1)
  题目:从鲍马诺克出发(1)

  STARTING from fish-shape Paumanok where I was born,
  从鱼形的鲍马诺克出发,那是我诞生的地方,
  Well-begotten, and rais'd by a perfect mother,
  在那里我继承了父亲的优点,还受到了一个完美的母亲的抚育,
  After roaming many lands, lover of populous pavements,
  此后我曾漫步浪游了许多的地方,我曾热爱着那挤满了人的街道,
  Dweller in Mannahatta my city, or on southern savannas,
  我也曾居住在我的城市曼纳哈塔,以及南方的稀树草原,
  Or a soldier camp'd or carrying my knapsack and gun, or a miner in California,
  我曾做过兵士宿营在野外啊,我曾身背着背囊肩扛枪,也还曾是一个矿工在那加利福尼亚,
  Or rude in my home in Dakota's woods, my diet meat, my drink from the spring,
  我曾经茹毛饮血啊,在达科他林地我的家,把兽肉当做食物,清泉做我的琼浆,
  Or withdrawn to muse and meditate in some deep recess,
  我亦曾隐退到僻土幽乡,在那里冥思苦想,
  Far from the clank of crowds intervals passing rapt and happy,
  远离人群的纷乱喧嚣,在亢奋快乐中消磨数度时光,
  Aware of the fresh free giver the flowing Missouri, aware of mighty Niagara,
  我了解了流动着的密苏里,这清新自由的施舍者,我也懂得了强大的尼亚加拉,
  Aware of the buffalo herds grazing the plains, the hirsute and strong-breasted bull,
  我知道水牛群觅食的平原,也知道毛发粗长胸脯壮健的大公牛,
  Of earth, rocks, Fifth-month flowers experienced, stars, rain, snow, my amaze,
  我曾欣赏过大地,岩石,五月的鲜花,我也惊愕于星星,雨水和雪,
  Having studied the mocking-bird's tones and the flight of the mountain-hawk,
  我研究过模仿鸟的音调,我观察过高山鹰隼的猎翔,

  And heard at dawn the unrivall'd one, the hermit thrush from the swamp-cedars,
  我听到过破晓时北美隐居鸫在沼泽雪松林中那超逸绝伦的叫声,
  Solitary, singing in the West, I strike up for a New World.
  如今我独自地在西方歌唱,为一个新的世界唱响我的歌声。

  Title: Starting from Paumanok (2)
  题目:从鲍马诺克出发(2)

  Victory, union, faith, identity, time,
  胜利,联盟,信仰,身份,时间,
  The indissoluble compacts, riches, mystery,
  牢不可破的契约,财富,奥秘,
  Eternal progress, the kosmos, and the modern reports.
  永不停止的进步,宇宙,以及现代的通讯报道。

  This then is life,
  这就是生命,
  Here is what has come to the surface after so many throes and convulsions.
  这就是那些,要经过无数次颤动与震荡才能出现的东西。
  How curious! how real!
  多么奇妙!又如此真实!
  Underfoot the divine soil, overhead the sun.
  脚下是神圣的土地,头顶是那太阳!

  See revolving the globe,
  看哪,这旋转的地球,
  The ancestor-continents away group'd together,
  远方是我们祖先居住的大陆,它们成团地抱在一起,
  The present and future continents north and south, with the isthmus between.
  而代表着现在和未来的这南北两块大陆啊,中间由一条地峡隔开。

  See, vast trackless spaces,
  看哪,这里有广阔的荒无人迹的空间,
  As in a dream they change, they swiftly fill,
  犹如在梦境中,它们的面貌改变了,它们被迅速地填满了,
  Countless masses debouch upon them,
  无数的人群流向它们,
  They are now cover'd with the foremost people, arts, institutions, known.
  如今啊,它们有了第一流的人,第一流的艺术,第一流的制度,第一流的名声。

  See, projected through time,
  看哪,它在时间的流逝中投射出来,
  For me an audience interminable.
  为我搭建了一个永不谢幕的讲坛。

  With firm and regular step they wend, they never stop,
  迈着坚定而整齐的步伐他们来了,他们永不停步,
  Successions of men, Americanos, a hundred millions,
  连绵不断的人啊,亚美利加人,千千万万,
  One generation playing its part and passing on,
  一代人完成着他们的使命并且走过去,
  Another generation playing its part and passing on in its turn,
  又轮到另一代人完成着他们的使命并且走过去,
  With faces turn'd sideways or backward towards me to listen,
  他们的脸向旁边向后面转了过来,朝着我他们倾听,
  With eyes retrospective towards me.
  他们的眼睛朝向着我,充满追思与回顾。
  Title: Starting from Paumanok (4)
  题目:从鲍马诺克出发(4)

  Take my leaves America, take them South and take them North,
  亚美利加啊,请接受我的片片草叶,请接受它们,南方,请接受它们,北方,
  Make welcome for them everywhere, for they are your own offspring,
  让每个地方都向它们做出欢迎的表示吧,因为它们是你们自己的子孙,
  Surround them East and West, for they would surround you,
  东部和西部环绕起它们吧,因为它们也将把你们环绕,
  And you precedents, connect lovingly with them, for they connect lovingly with you.
  还有你们,那些唱响在昔日的颂歌,与它们深情相连吧,因为它们与你们深情相连。

  I conn'd old times,
  我细读过以往的岁月,
  I sat studying at the feet of the great masters,
  我曾蹲坐在大师们脚下研习,
  Now if eligible O that the great masters might return and study me.
  如今如果我的蕴积已够,哦,或许那些大师们将回转身来把我研读。

  In the name of these States shall I scorn the antique?
  难道以联邦各州的名义,我就可以对那古代的遗产表示不屑?
  Why these are the children of the antique to justify it.
  决不,联邦各州本是这古老遗产的孩子,它们要给这古老的遗产正名。
  Title: Starting from Paumanok (5)
  题目:从鲍马诺克出发(5)

  Dead poets, philosophs, priests,
  Martyrs, artists, inventors, governments long since,
  Language-shapers on other shores,
  大洋彼岸诸邦那已逝的诗人,哲学家,
  祭司神父,殉道者,艺术家,发明家,
  悠远古时的统治者和语言的创制者们,
  Nations once powerful, now reduced, withdrawn, or desolate,
  那些曾经强盛,如今也衰落,隐退,甚至被冷落的民族们,
  I dare not proceed till I respectfully credit what you have left wafted hither,
  我不敢迈步向前啊,除非我先把你们飘流到这里的遗产恭敬地颂扬歌唱,
  I have perused it, own it is admirable, (moving awhile among it,)
  我曾仔细察看这份遗产,我确认这份遗产值得敬仰,(因为我曾一度在这遗产中四处流连,)
  Think nothing can ever be greater, nothing can ever deserve more than it deserves,
  我看哪,没有任何东西能比它更伟大,也再没有任何东西能够超越它的价值,
  Regarding it all intently a long while, then dismissing it,
  我长久地全神贯注地注视了它啊,然后将它放下,
  I stand in my place with my own day here.
  我站在了我自己的位置上,在这里我与我自己的时代在一起。

  Here lands female and male,
  这里有片片土地,女性和男性共同拥有,
  Here the heir-ship and heiress-ship of the world, here the flame of materials,
  这里是一个世界,男人和女人都有权继承,这里是物质之火,
  Here spirituality the translatress, the openly-avow'd,
  在这里,诠释这一切的精神灵性,那个被公开地承认了的她呀,
  The ever-tending, the finalè of visible forms,
  那实体形态的最终追求和最后归宿,
  The satisfier, after due long-waiting now advancing,
  那个使人得到满足的东西,在经过预定的长时间的等待后,现在向前走来,
  Yes here comes my mistress the soul.
  是的,这是我的主人,我的灵魂,她走来。

  Title: Starting from Paumanok (6)
  题目:从鲍马诺克出发(6)

  The soul,
  这灵魂,
  Forever and forever —— longer than soil is brown and solid ——longer than water ebbs and flows.
  将永远永远存在----她比坚硬的褐色土地还要长久----她比涨落的潮水还要长久。
  I will make the poems of materials, for I think they are to be the most spiritual poems,
  我要为实在的物质写诗,因为我认为它们将成为最具精神灵性的诗篇,
  And I will make the poems of my body and of mortality,
  我还要为我的肉体和必死的尘世生命写诗,
  For I think I shall then supply myself with the poems of my soul and of immortality.
  因为我认为这样才能把我的灵魂和不朽的永生谱成诗篇献给自己。


  I will make a song for these States that no one State may under any circumstances be subjected to another State,
  我要给这些州邦写一首歌,告诉它们在任何情况下一个州邦都不要臣服于另一个州邦,
  And I will make a song that there shall be comity by day and by night between all the States, and between any two of them,
  我还要再写一首歌,呼唤在所有的州邦之间,在任意两个州邦之间,每天每夜啊,都能做到互敬互让,
  And I will make a song for the ears of the President, full of weapons with menacing points,
  我还要写一首唱给总统听的歌,歌中排满武器,矛头尖锐刀口锋利,
  And behind the weapons countless dissatisfied faces;
  而在那武器的后面啊,有无数写着不满的脸庞,
  And a song make I of the One form'd out of all,
  我还要写一首歌啊,一首用所有的歌写成的歌,
  The fang'd and glittering One including and over all,
  这首歌牙齿尖利,华丽眩目,它蕴含一切歌调超越一切歌调,
  (However high the head of any else that head is over all.)
  (其它任何的歌啊,任你的头颅如何高昂,我这首歌的头颅仍昂得最高。)

  I will acknowledge contemporary lands,
  我要向同时代的国家致意,
  I will trail the whole geography of the globe and salute courteously every city large and small,
  我要跟着整个地球的地势起伏,去向每一个城市,无论它是大是小啊,我都彬彬有礼地致敬,
  And employments! I will put in my poems that with you is heroism upon land and sea,
  还有各行各业啊!在我的诗里我将让,那陆地和海洋上的英雄业绩和你们排列在一起,
  And I will report all heroism from an American point of view.
  我还会从一个美国人的观点出发,来报道这所有的英雄业绩。

  I will sing the song of companionship,
  我要唱一首同伴友爱之歌,
  I will show what alone must finally compact these,
  我要告诉大家只有靠什么才能把这些友爱最终紧密地契合,
  I believe these are to found their own ideal of manly love, indicating it in me,
  我相信同伴友爱就是去寻找属于他们自己的理想的男性之爱啊,这种爱,在我身上写下标记,
  I will therefore let flame from me the burning fires that were threatening to consume me,
  因此我将让火焰从我身上升腾,这燃烧的火焰啊,正要可怕地把我燃尽,
  I will lift what has too long kept down those smouldering fires,
  我要把这层压抑揭开,那层对那郁积着的火焰太久太久的压抑,
  I will give them complete abandonment,
  我要让这火焰得到彻底的放纵,
  I will write the evangel-poem of comrades and of love,
  我要为同志和爱写下宣道的诗篇,
  For who but I should understand love with all its sorrow and joy?
  因为除了我还有谁会理解这爱,这爱中所有的悲哀和欢喜?
  And who but I should be the poet of comrades?
  除了我还能有谁应当成为同志们的诗人?

  Title: Starting from Paumanok (7)
  题目:从鲍马诺克出发(7)

  I am the credulous man of qualities, ages, races,
  我是这样的一个人啊,我毫无保留地相信人,不管他的禀赋,年纪与族群,
  I advance from the people in their own spirit,
  我从人群中,在他们的精神里向前挺进,
  Here is what sings unrestricted faith.
  在这里歌唱着这无边无际的信任。

  Omnes! omnes! let others ignore what they may,
  所有的人啊!所有的人啊!让别人去无视那些他们打算视而不见的东西吧,
  I make the poem of evil also, I commemorate that part also,
  而我就连邪恶也要谱成诗篇,为这样的东西我也留下纪念,
  I am myself just as much evil as good, and my nation is —— and I say there is in fact no evil,
  我自己就是正邪参半的人啊,而我的国家也是如此----但是我说啊,其实邪恶并不存在,
  (Or if there is I say it is just as important to you, to the land or to me, as any thing else.)
  (或者说,假使真的有邪恶存在,我说啊,对你,对这片土地,或者对我来说,它与其它的任何东西都一样重要。)

  I too, following many and follow'd by many, inaugurate a religion, I descend into the arena,
  跟随着许多人的足迹,很多人也跟随着我的足迹,我也让那宗教般的信仰升起,我走下了竞技场,
  (It may be I am destin'd to utter the loudest cries there, the winner's pealing shouts,
  (也许这就是我的命运,要在这里放出最大的吼声,这胜利者的轰然大叫,
  Who knows? they may rise from me yet, and soar above every thing.)
  谁知道呢?也许这些吼叫已经从我口里升起,并且在万物之上翱翔。)

  Each is not for its own sake,
  每个事物的存在都不是为了它自己,
  I say the whole earth and all the stars in the sky are for religion's sake.
  我说啊,这整个的地球,这天空中的所有星星都是为了信仰而存在。

  I say no man has ever yet been half devout enough,
  我要说啊,还没有人付出了哪怕是一半的虔诚,
  None has ever yet adored or worship'd half enough,
  还没有人表达了哪怕是一半的尊敬或崇拜,
  None has begun to think how divine he himself is, and how certain the future is.
  没有人开始思考啊,他自己有多么的神圣,而未来是多么的确定。

  I say that the real and permanent grandeur of these States must be their religion,
  我要说啊,这些州邦真正而永远的光荣必须在于它的信仰,
  Otherwise there is no real and permanent grandeur;
  除此之外再没有什么真正和永久的荣光,
  (Nor character nor life worthy the name without religion,
  (如果没有了信仰,任何品格任何生活,都不值得有自己的名字,
  Nor land nor man or woman without religion.)
  如果没有信仰,也就没有什么土地,没有什么男人和女人。)
  Title: Starting from Paumanok (8)
  题目:从鲍马诺克出发(8)

  8

  What are you doing young man?
  年轻的人啊,你现在在做什么?
  Are you so earnest, so given up to literature, science, art, amours?
  你是在非常真诚地,非常投入地献身于文学,科学,艺术,私情吗?
  These ostensible realities, politics, points?
  沉醉于这些浅表的现实生活,政治活动和观点看法?
  Your ambition or business whatever it may be?
  还是献身于你的雄心大志,或者不管是什么样的职业和生意?

  It is well —— against such I say not a word, I am their poet also,
  这很好----我对此不置一词,因为我的诗也献给它们,
  But behold! such swiftly subside, burnt up for religion's sake,
  但是看哪!在信仰面前这些东西都将迅速消逝,如被火焚尽,
  For not all matter is fuel to heat, impalpable flame, the essential life of the earth,
  因为并不是所有的东西都能用来当作燃料,发出热量,燃烧那无形的火焰,维持这大地的生命之本,
  Any more than such are to religion.
  而对于信仰来说啊,它的要求至少也是如此。
  Title: Starting from Paumanok (9)
  题目:从鲍马诺克出发(9)

  What do you seek so pensive and silent?
  你如此忧郁如此沉默是在寻找什么?
  What do you need camerado?
  同志伙伴啊你需要的是什么?
  Dear son do you think it is love?
  亲爱的孩子你认为这就是爱情吗?

  Listen dear son —— listen America, daughter or son,
  听啊,亲爱的孩子----听啊,亚美利加的女孩和男孩,
  It is a painful thing to love a man or woman to excess, and yet it satisfies, it is great,
  虽然过于深情地爱着一个男人或者一个女人是痛苦的,但这却令人满足,这是伟大之物,
  But there is something else very great, it makes the whole coincide,
  不过还有另外一种非常伟大之物啊,它会使一切都和谐一致,
  It, magnificent, beyond materials, with continuous hands sweeps and provides for all.
  它,宏伟庄严,超越于物质之上,用不停息的手,席卷一切而又抚育一切。


  Title: Starting from Paumanok (10)
  题目:从鲍马诺克出发(10)

  Know you, solely to drop in the earth the germs of a greater religion,
  你要知道啊,完全是为了在这大地上播撒一种更为伟大的信仰的种子,
  The following chants each for its kind I sing.
  我才要唱出后面的那些颂歌,为每一颗种子,都配上属于它的歌。

  My comrade!
  我的同志啊!
  For you to share with me two greatnesses, and a third one rising inclusive and more resplendent,
  与你,我要分享,两种形式的伟大,以及那第三种,一种正在成长的包罗一切而且更加辉煌的伟大,
  The greatness of Love and Democracy, and the greatness of Religion.
  这就是爱的伟大和民主的伟大,还有信仰的伟大。

  Melange mine own, the unseen and the seen,
  这是一个五花八门的拼盘,属于我自己,包括有形和无形的事物,
  Mysterious ocean where the streams empty,
  这是一片神秘的海洋,百川千流都向这里汇入,
  Prophetic spirit of material shifting and flickering around me,
  这是能够预言未来的物质的精灵,在我的前后左右跳动闪烁,
  Living beings, identities now doubtless near us in the air that we know not of,
  这是有生命的物体,是毫无疑义地存在于我们近旁的实体,在我们毫无察觉的空气中,
  Contact daily and hourly that will not release me,
  他们每日每时紧挨着我,不会把我放开,
  These selecting, these in hints demanded of me.
  这些遴选出的精粹,这些藏身于隐喻的东西,对我强烈地提出了要求。

  Not he with a daily kiss onward from childhood kissing me,
  Has winded and twisted around me that which holds me to him,
  他亲吻着我,从我的孩提时代起就每日亲吻着我,
  但并不是因为他对我的纠缠环绕才让我投入他的怀抱,
  Any more than I am held to the heavens and all the spiritual world,
  After what they have done to me, suggesting themes.
  而是如同天堂和所有的精神世界一样,只有在用这些满含暗示的旋律,
  对我施加了影响之后,才能把我拥入他的怀抱。

  O such themes —— equalities! O divine average!
  哦,这样的旋律——处处平等!哦,圣洁的尘世凡人!
  Warblings under the sun, usher'd as now, or at noon, or setting,
  在阳光下的婉啭着,就在此刻,在正午,在日落时分,被引领着过来了,
  Strains musical flowing through ages, now reaching hither,
  这音乐的旋律流过了多少岁月,如今来到了这里,
  I take to your reckless and composite chords, add to them,and cheerfully pass them forward.
  而我捡起你们那鲁莽大胆的复合的弦声,为它们添加新的内容,然后再欢乐地把它们向前传去。



  Title: Starting from Paumanok (11)
  题目:从鲍马诺克出发(11)

  As I have walk'd in Alabama my morning walk,
  当我在阿拉巴马的清晨沿着散步的路线行走,
  I have seen where the she-bird the mocking-bird sat on her nest in the briers hatching her brood.
  我曾看到了那只雌嘲鸟蹲伏在荆棘丛中,在鸟巢中孵育着后代。

  I have seen the he-bird also,
  我也看到了那只雄鸟,
  I have paus'd to hear him near at hand inflating his throat and joyfully singing.
  我曾暂且停下步子,听他在我的近旁鼓荡着喉咙快乐歌唱。

  And while I paus'd it came to me that what he really sang for was not there only,
  就在我停步的那刻,我突然意识到他真正歌咏的对象,并非仅在彼地彼方,
  Nor for his mate nor himself only, nor all sent back by the echoes,
  他并非仅仅为他的伴侣和自己而唱啊,他所唱的也不会仅仅变成回声返还,
  But subtle, clandestine, away beyond,
  他的歌声以一种无法描述的方式,悄无声息地飞向了远方,
  A charge transmitted and gift occult for those being born.
  对于那些正在出生的生命,这歌声是被传递的责任和看不见的赠礼。
  Title: Starting from Paumanok (12)
  题目:从鲍马诺克出发(12)

  Democracy! near at hand to you a throat is now inflating itself and joyfully singing.
  民主啊!你的近旁有一条喉咙,正在鼓荡着快乐地歌唱。

  Ma femme! for the brood beyond us and of us,
  吾妻!为了我们的前辈族人和我们现在的族人,
  For those who belong here and those to come,
  为了那些属于今天的人们和未来的人们,
  I exultant to be ready for them will now shake out carols stronger and haughtier than have ever yet been heard upon earth.
  为了他们我狂喜地作好准备,现在我将要让这些颂歌播洒,这些颂歌啊,要比这地球上曾经听过的任何颂歌都要更加强劲和高傲,
  I will make the songs of passion to give them their way,
  我要创作那充满热情的歌,为他们指出他们的道路,
  And your songs outlaw'd offenders, for I scan you with kindred eyes, and carry you with me the same as any.
  我还要为你们啊,那些被定罪的罪人作歌,因为我把你们视为同胞骨肉,我挽着你们,如同挽着其他人一样。

  I will make the true poem of riches,
  我将写下真正的财富之诗,
  To earn for the body and the mind whatever adheres and goes forward and is not dropt by death;
  来为肉体和思想赢取一切,赢取那一切与它们相连,并且向前走去,不会因为死亡而失落的东西,
  I will effuse egotism and show it underlying all, and I will be the bard of personality,
  我要把自我向外张扬,我要指出自我是一切之本,我将是一个人格的吟唱者,
  And I will show of male and female that either is but the equal of the other,
  我还要让男人和女人都知道啊,不论是男还是女,彼此都必定平等无差,
  And sexual organs and acts! do you concentrate in me, for am determin'd to tell you with courageous clear voice to prove you illustrious,
  性的器官和性的活动!请你们浓聚于我吧,因为我注定必须要用充满勇气而且清晰的声音来讲述你们,证明你们的辉煌与卓越。
  And I will show that there is no imperfection in the present, and can be none in the future,
  而且我将告诉大家现在是完美无暇的,将来也只会是完美无暇的,
  And I will show that whatever happens to anybody it may be turn'd to beautiful results,
  我还要说不管在一个人的身上发生了什么啊,它们都有可能转化出美丽的结果,
  And I will show that nothing can happen more beautiful than death,
  我还要说,任何事物的出现,都不如死亡更加美丽,
  And I will thread a thread through my poems that time and events are compact,
  我要在我的诗歌间穿上一根线头,让时间和事件浓缩在一起,
  And that all the things of the universe are perfect miracles, each as profound as any.
  还要让宇宙间的一切事物都变成完美的奇迹,每一件都同样地意义深长。

  I will not make poems with reference to parts,
  我不会写下诗篇,去咏赋那零杂碎片,
  But I will make poems, songs, thoughts, with reference to ensemble,
  但我要吟颂这集合在一起的整体,用诗,用歌,用思想,
  And I will not sing with reference to a day, but with reference to all days,
  我也不会把歌唱献给某一个日子,但我将为所有的日子歌唱,
  And I will not make a poem nor the least part of a poem but has reference to the soul,
  如果不是为了歌咏灵魂,我将不会写下诗篇,哪怕只是诗的片语孤行,
  Because having look'd at the objects of the universe, I find there is no one nor any particle of one but has reference to the soul.
  因为在查看过这宇宙万物之后啊,我发现没有任何东西,没有任何东西上的任何一点碎屑,能与灵魂无关。
  @喵喵爱狐狸 2016-05-13 16:34:00
  厉害,都是楼主自己翻译的么?
  -----------------------------
  谢谢。是我自己翻的,但主要参考的前辈译作是赵萝蕤老教授的译本。
  Title: Starting from Paumanok (13)
  题目:从鲍马诺克出发(13)

  Was somebody asking to see the soul?
  有没有人曾经要求,想要看看灵魂?
  See, your own shape and countenance, persons, substances, beasts, the trees, the running rivers, the rocks and sands.
  看吧,看你自己的形体和面孔,看这些人,这些实在的物质,这些走兽,这些树,这些奔流的河,这些岩石和沙子。

  All hold spiritual joys and afterwards loosen them;
  所有这些都曾拥有过精神的欢乐,然后把它们放开,
  How can the real body ever die and be buried?
  一个真正的肉体,怎么可能竟然死去并被埋葬?

  Of your real body and any man's or woman's real body,
  其实你的真正身体,任何男人任何女人的真正身体,
  Item for item it will elude the hands of the corpse-cleaners and pass to fitting spheres,
  将一个元素接一个元素地躲闪开那些沐洗尸体的人们的双手,去往最适合它的地方,
  Carrying what has accrued to it from the moment of birth to the moment of death.
  带着从出生那一刻起,到死亡的那一刻止,它所积累的一切。

  Not the types set up by the printer return their impression, the meaning, the main concern,
  印刷工人排好了铅字,它们的效果,意义和主旨就不再改变,,
  Any more than a man's substance and life or a woman's substance and life return in the body and the soul,
  同样,构成一个男人的物质和生活,或者,构成一个女人的物质和生活,也决不会在身体和灵魂里发生改变,
  Indifferently before death and after death.
  无论是在生前还是死后。

  Behold, the body includes and is the meaning, the main concern, and includes and is the soul;
  瞧啊,身体就涵盖了意义和主旨,就是这意义和主旨,身体也包括了灵魂,就是这灵魂,
  Whoever you are, how superb and how divine is your body, or any part of it!
  无论你是谁,你的身体,你的身体中的每一个部分,都是那么的壮丽和那么的神圣!
  Title: Starting from Paumanok (14)
  题目:从鲍马诺克出发(14)

  Whoever you are, to you endless announcements!
  不管你是谁,我都要对你喋喋不休地布道!

  Daughter of the lands did you wait for your poet?
  这片大地的女儿呀,你是在等为你吟颂的诗人吗?

  Did you wait for one with a flowing mouth and indicative hand?
  你是在等这样的一个诗人吗?这个诗人他口若悬河这个诗人他指手划脚,
  Toward the male of the States, and toward the female of the States,
  向着联邦里的男人们,向着联邦里的女人们,
  Exulting words, words to Democracy's lands.
  让字句狂喜跃动,让献给民主之地的字句狂喜跃动。

  Interlink'd, food-yielding lands!
  这片互相连结着的,生产着食物的土地啊!
  Land of coal and iron! land of gold! land of cotton, sugar, rice!
  这里有生产煤和铁的土地!这里有生产黄金的土地!这里有生产棉花,糖和大米的土地!
  Land of wheat, beef, pork! land of wool and hemp! land of the apple and the grape!
  这里有生产小麦,牛肉和猪肉的土地!这里有生产羊毛和大麻纤维的土地!这里有生产苹果和葡萄的土地!
  Land of the pastoral plains, the grass-fields of the world! land of those sweet-air'd interminable plateaus!
  这片土地有平整的牧场,它们是属于世界的绿草青原!这片土地有那些空气甜蜜的无边无际的高原!
  Land of the herd, the garden, the healthy house of adobie!
  牧群的土地,花园的土地,益人身心的砖房坯舍啊,建在这片土地的上面!
  Lands where the north-west Columbia winds, and where the south-west Colorado winds!
  这片土地西北蜿蜒着哥伦比亚,这片土地西南蜿蜒着科罗拉多!
  Land of the eastern Chesapeake! land of the Delaware!
  这是东部切萨皮克湾的土地啊!这是特拉华河的土地!
  Land of Ontario, Erie, Huron, Michigan!
  这是安大略湖,伊利湖,休伦湖,密歇根湖的土地!
  Land of the Old Thirteen! Massachusetts land! land of Vermont and Connecticut!
  这是老十三州之地啊!马萨诸塞的土地!佛蒙特的土地和康涅狄格的土地!

  Land of the ocean shores! land of sierras and peaks!
  海岸线上的土地!峰岭绵绵的土地!
  Land of boatmen and sailors! fishermen's land!
  舟夫和水手的土地!渔人的土地!
  Inextricable lands! the clutch'd together! the passionate ones!
  这是不能分割的土地!这是咬合在一起的土地!这是充满热情的片片大地!
  The side by side! the elder and younger brothers! the bony-limb'd!
  肩并着肩的土地!是年长的阿哥和年轻的阿弟!是有着筯强骨壮的四肢的大地!
  The great women's land! the feminine! the experienced sisters and the inexperienced sisters!
  这是伟大妇人的大地!这是女人般娇美的土地!是饱历人事的姐姐和不谙人事的妹妹!
  Far breath'd land! Arctic braced! Mexican breez'd! the diverse! the compact!
  那在远方低语的土地!那北极拥抱的土地!那墨西哥的微风吹拂的土地!那面貌多彩的土地!那紧凑简洁的土地!
  The Pennsylvanian! the Virginian! the double Carolinian!
  宾夕法尼亚人!弗吉尼亚人!南北卡罗来纳的人!
  O all and each well-loved by me! my intrepid nations!
  哦,所有的你们,每一个的你们,都被我深深地爱着!我的坚韧不拔的族群们啊!
  O I at any rate include you all with perfect love!
  哦,至少,我能用无暇的爱地把你们全部包拥!
  I cannot be discharged from you! not from one any sooner than another!
  不可能把我和你们分开啊!不可能把我与你们中的任何一个分开!
  O death! O for all that, I am yet of you unseen this hour with irrepressible love,
  哦,死亡啊!哦,因为这一切,我还不肯在此刻带着不可压抑的爱与你相见,
  Walking New England, a friend, a traveler,
  我要走遍新英格兰,如同一个朋友,一个旅行者,
  Splashing my bare feet in the edge of the summer ripples on Paumanok's sands,
  我要在鲍马诺克的沙滩上,让夏季的微波轻拍我赤着的双足,
  Crossing the prairies, dwelling again in Chicago, dwelling in every town,
  我要从大草原上穿行而过,我要再一次居留在芝加哥,我要在每一个市镇居留,
  Observing shows, births, improvements, structures, arts,
  我要观察展览演出,观察出生,观察进步,观察建筑,观察艺术,
  Listening to orators and oratresses in public halls,
  倾听男女演说家们在公众会堂里的演说,
  Of and through the States as during life, each man and woman my neighbor,
  在我一生中啊,在这些州邦之内,在这些州邦之间,每一个男人每一个女人都是我的邻人,
  The Louisianian, the Georgian, as near to me, and I as near to him and her,
  路易斯安那人,佐治亚人,和我相距一样近,而我也和他或是她啊,相距一样近,
  The Mississippian and Arkansian yet with me, and I yet with any of them,
  密西西比人和阿肯色人,依然与我在一起,我也和他们中的每一个人在一起,
  Yet upon the plains west of the spinal river, yet in my house of adobie,
  因为我就在那脊柱之河西边的平原上啊,也已然身在我的砖房坯舍,
  Yet returning eastward, yet in the Seaside State or in Maryland,
  因为我就在东归的途中啊,我也已经到了这滨海之州,已经来到了马里兰,
  Yet Kanadian cheerily braving the winter, the snow and ice welcome to me,
  我已经看见加拿大人欢乐地面对严冬啊,冰和雪正在对我表示欢迎,
  Yet a true son either of Maine or of the Granite State, or the Narragansett Bay State, or the Empire State,
  我依旧是它们真正的儿子啊,是缅因州和大理石之州的儿子,也是纳拉甘西特海湾之州的儿子,也是帝国之州的儿子,
  Yet sailing to other shores to annex the same, yet welcoming every new brother,
  我也正在向其它的海岸航行啊,我要用同样的信念把它们征服,并且迎接每一个新来的弟兄,

  Hereby applying these leaves to the new ones from the hour they unite with the old ones,
  因此,让这些草叶飘向这些新来的人吧,从他们与旧的居民融合的那一刻起,
  Coming among the new ones myself to be their companion and equal, coming personally to you now,
  我自己也夹在这些新来者之间走来了,我是他们的伙伴,我与他们一样,我现在亲自朝你走来,
  Enjoining you to acts, characters, spectacles, with me.
  逼迫你和我一起去参加演出,去扮演角色,去创造那壮观的场面。

  Title: Starting from Paumanok (15)
  题目:从鲍马诺克出发(15)

  With me with firm holding, yet haste, haste on.
  和我一起,牢牢抓紧我,但是要快呀,不停地加快速度。

  For your life adhere to me,
  因为你的生命附着在我的身上,
  (I may have to be persuaded many times before I consent to give myself really to you, but what of that?
  (也许在我同意把自己真正地交给你之前,你还要说服我很多次,但这又有什么呢?
  Must not Nature be persuaded many times?)
  大自然在把自己交给我们之前,不也要我们反复地说服很多次吗?)

  No dainty dolce affettuoso I,
  我不要那种温柔而热情的优雅,
  Bearded, sun-burnt, gray-neck'd, forbidding, I have arrived,
  胡须连鬂,皮肤黝黑,脖项灰暗,严峻可怕,我就这样地来了,
  To be wrestled with as I pass for the solid prizes of the universe,
  我经过你的面前,来让你与我搏斗,去赢取属于这宇宙的那些实实在在的奖赏,
  For such I afford whoever can persevere to win them.
  把这些奖赏啊,我赠给那能不屈不挠地去赢取它们的人。




  Title: Starting from Paumanok (16)
  题目:从鲍马诺克出发(16)

  On my way a moment I pause,
  在我的路上,我要在此停留片刻,
  Here for you! and here for America!
  为了你!也为了亚美利加!
  Still the present I raise aloft, still the future of the States I harbinge glad and sublime,
  我依然要把现在高高地举起,我依然要为这些州邦预言一个欢乐而崇高的未来,
  And for the past I pronounce what the air holds of the red aborigines.
  但是为了过去啊,且让我读响红皮肤的土著人留在这清氛怀抱中的余响。

  The red aborigines,
  红皮肤的土著人啊,
  Leaving natural breaths, sounds of rain and winds, calls as of birds and animals in the woods, syllabled, to us for names,
  把自然的气息,把风声雨响,把林中的鸟兽鸣叫,转换成音节,变成各种名字,留给了我们,
  Okonee, Koosa, Ottawa, Monongahela, Sauk, Natchez, Chattahoochee, Kaqueta, Oronoco,
  奥科尼,库萨,渥太华,莫农加希拉,索克,纳齐兹,恰塔胡支,卡坎塔,奥罗诺科,
  Wabash, Miami, Saginaw, Chippewa, Oshkosh, WallaWalla,
  沃巴什,迈阿密,萨吉诺,奇珀瓦,奥什科什,沃拉沃拉,
  Leaving such to the States they melt, they depart, charging the water and the land with names.
  把它们留给这些州邦啊,他们消融了,他们去了,但川流河海,但大地承载起了这些名字。
  Title: Starting from Paumanok (17)
  题目:从鲍马诺克出发(17)

  Expanding and swift, henceforth,
  从此以后就迅捷地扩张着,
  Elements, breeds, adjustments, turbulent, quick and audacious,
  各种元素,各个种族,各项改良,骚动地,快速而放肆地扩张,
  A world primal again, vistas of glory incessant and branching,
  这又是一个尚待开发的世界,前景光明,并且不断地生发出新的光明前景,
  A new race dominating previous ones and grander far, with new contests,
  一个高居于以前的种族之上的,而且远为伟大的种族来了,带着新的竞争方式,
  New politics, new literatures and religions, new inventions and arts.
  新的政治,新的文学和宗教,新的发明和新的艺术。

  These, my voice announcing —— I will sleep no more but arise,
  我用我的声音宣告这一切----我将不再沉睡,我要站起来啊,
  You oceans that have been calm within me! how I feel you, fathomless, stirring, preparing unprecedented waves and storms.
  你这曾经在我心中平静无澜的海洋哟!我感到了你,你如此深不可测,如此骚动不安,为着前所未有的波涛和风暴,如此地准备着。


  Title: Starting from Paumanok (18)
  题目:从鲍马诺克出发(18)

  See, steamers steaming through my poems,
  看哪,蒸汽船喷着蒸汽穿过我的诗篇,
  See, in my poems immigrants continually coming and landing,
  看哪,在我的诗里,移民们不停地赶来登上陆地,
  See, in arriere, the wigwam, the trail, the hunter's hut, the flatboat, the maize-leaf, the claim, the rude fence, and the backwoods village,
  看哪,在那后面有印第安人的棚屋,山中的小径,猎人的茅舍,平底的小船,玉米的叶子,新开发的土地,简陋的围栏,还有荒凉森林里的小村庄,
  See, on the one side the Western Sea and on the other the Eastern Sea, how they advance and retreat upon my poems as upon their own shores,
  看哪,这西边是大海,这东边也是大海,看它们如何在我的诗里起伏涨落,就像在它们自己的岸边一样,
  See, pastures and forests in my poems —— see, animals wild and tame —— see, beyond the Kaw, countless herds of buffalo feeding on short curly grass,
  看哪,我诗中的牧场和森林----看哪,我诗中的野兽和家畜----看哪,在考河的那一边,数不清的水牛群依靠着那低矮卷曲的青草的喂养而生,
  See, in my poems, cities, solid, vast, inland, with paved streets, with iron and stone edifices, ceaseless vehicles, and commerce,
  看哪,看我诗里那些坚固而宽大的内陆的城市,它们有铺好的街道,有铁与石头建成的大厦,有川流不息的车辆,还有生意买卖,
  See, the many-cylinder'd steam printing-press —— see, the electric telegraph stretching across the continent,
  看哪,装上了很多滚筒的蒸气印刷机----看哪,覆盖了整个大陆的电报机,
  See, through Atlantica's depths pulses American Europe reaching, pulses of Europe duly return'd,
  看哪,穿越大西洋的深处,亚美利加把自己的脉博传给了欧罗巴,而欧罗巴也同样地把自己的脉搏传了回来,
  See, the strong and quick locomotive as it departs, panting, blowing the steam-whistle,
  看哪,那强健而快速的火车头啊,它喘息着起动了,用蒸汽吹出了它的笛声,
  See, ploughmen ploughing farms —— see, miners digging mines —— see, the numberless factories,
  看哪,农夫耕耘着农场----看哪,矿工开采着矿藏----看哪,这无数的工厂,

  See, mechanics busy at their benches with tools —— see from among them superior judges, philosophs, Presidents,emerge, drest in working dresses,
  看哪,机械工人拿着工具坐在他们的工作凳上忙碌着----看哪,从他们之中,出现了还穿着工作服的高级法官,哲学家,和总统,
  See, lounging through the shops and fields of the States, me well-belov'd, close-held by day and night,
  看哪,我徜徉在各州的商店和田野,我被深深地热爱,被紧紧地拥抱,日日夜夜,
  Hear the loud echoes of my songs there —— read the hints come at last.
  到那儿去听听我歌声的响亮回音吧----去读懂那最终出现的隐秘的含义。
  Title: Starting from Paumanok (19)
  题目:从鲍马诺克出发(19)

  O camerado close! O you and me at last, and us two only.
  哦,亲密的同志啊!哦,最后轮到你和我,并且只有我们两个。
  O a word to clear one's path ahead endlessly!
  哦,用一个字来扫清前面那绵绵无尽的小径!
  O something ecstatic and undemonstrable! O music wild!
  哦,用一些让人狂喜却又难以言表的东西!哦,用这狂野的音乐!
  O now I triumph —— and you shall also;
  哦,现在我得到了胜利----而你也必将得到胜利;
  O hand in hand —— O wholesome pleasure —— O one more desirer and lover!
  哦,手挽着手吧----哦,这是健康的欢乐----哦,又是一个欲求者和爱恋者!
  O to haste firm holding —— to haste, haste on with me.
  哦,快呀,紧紧地抱在一起----和我一起,快呀,快呀。
  Title: Song of Myself (1)
  题目:歌唱自我(1)

  I CELEBRATE myself, and sing myself,
  我庆祝我自己,我歌颂我自己,
  And what I assume you shall assume,
  我展示的形象,也将是你的形象,
  For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
  因为构成我的每一个原子,同样也可构成你。

  I loafe and invite my soul,
  我漫步闲游啊,邀请了我的灵魂,
  I lean and loafe at my ease observing a spear of summer grass.
  我俯身观察夏日那片小草的草叶啊,闲适而悠然。

  My tongue, every atom of my blood, form'd from this soil, this air,
  我的舌头,我血液里的每一个原子,都在这片土壤中成形,在这空气中成长,
  Born here of parents born here from parents the same, and their parents the same,
  我出生在这里啊,来自出生于这里的父母,他们来自同样出生在这里的父母啊,而他们的父母还是同样在这里出生,
  I, now thirty-seven years old in perfect health begin,
  现在三十七岁而且无比健康的我呀,开始歌唱,
  Hoping to cease not till death.
  希望永不停息地歌唱直到死亡。

  Creeds and schools in abeyance,
  让那些教义和学说暂时退到一边,
  Retiring back a while sufficed at what they are, but never forgotten,
  让它们在当前的状态中满足地退下休憩片刻吧,不过它们永远也不会被遗忘,
  I harbor for good or bad, I permit to speak at every hazard,
  我要把善恶都包容在心中,我要不顾一切地发出声音,
  Nature without check with original energy.
  让本性带着最原始的活力不受抑制地发出声音。

  Title: Song of Myself (2)
  题目:歌唱自我(2)

  Houses and rooms are full of perfumes, the shelves are crowded with perfumes,
  屋子和房间里装满了芳香,架子上也挤满了芳香,
  I breathe the fragrance myself and know it and like it,
  我亲身呼吸这芬芳啊,我了解它也喜爱它,
  The distillation would intoxicate me also, but I shall not let it.
  这香气中的精华也将使我陶醉啊,但我不容许自己陶醉。

  The atmosphere is not a perfume, it has no taste of the distillation, it is odorless,
  空气不是一种香料,它没有这种香之精华的味道,它没有味道,
  It is for my mouth forever, I am in love with it,
  但空气永远供养我的口鼻啊,我爱着这空气,
  I will go to the bank by the wood and become undisguised and naked,
  我要去到那林边的河岸,剥去伪装全身赤裸,
  I am mad for it to be in contact with me.
  我陷入疯狂啊,要让这空气与我相依无间。

  The smoke of my own breath,
  这是我自己的呼吸化成的轻烟,
  Echoes, ripples, buzz'd whispers, love-root, silk-thread, crotch and vine,
  这是那回声,那轻波,那嗡嗡的悄语,是爱根草,是丝线树,是枝桠和藤蔓,
  My respiration and inspiration, the beating of my heart, the passing of blood and air through my lungs,
  是我吐出的气息,是我吸入的气息,是我心的跳动,是血在流过,是穿过我肺腑的空气,
  The sniff of green leaves and dry leaves, and of the shore and dark-color'd sea-rocks, and of hay in the barn,
  这气息,来自青的叶子和枯干的叶子,来自海岸水滨,来自黑色的海边岩石,来自堆放在谷仓的干草,
  The sound of the belch'd words of my voice loos'd to the eddies of the wind,
  这是从我嗓中喷出的词句的声响啊,释放于盘旋的风中,
  A few light kisses, a few embraces, a reaching around of arms,
  这是几下轻吻,几个拥抱,是伸出的双手对身旁的一次探索,
  The play of shine and shade on the trees as the supple boughs wag,
  是柔韧的枝干摇曳时,光和影在树丛中的扑闪与跳动,
  The delight alone or in the rush of the streets, or along the fields and hill-sides,
  是独自一人时的愉悦,也是熙攘街道上的兴奋,又是与田园和山脚相伴的快乐,
  The feeling of health, the full-noon trill, the song of me rising from bed and meeting the sun.
  这是对健康的感受,这是正午时的颤音,这是我的歌啊,它从睡床上升起,去迎接太阳。

  Have you reckon'd a thousand acres much? have you reckon'd the earth much?
  你认为千顷百亩已经够多?你认为地球寰宇已经够大?
  Have you practis'd so long to learn to read?
  你以为你练习得够久,已经学会了怎样去阅读?
  Have you felt so proud to get at the meaning of poems?
  你以为你足以感到自豪,因为你能明白诗的真意?

  Stop this day and night with me and you shall possess the origin of all poems,
  今天今夜请停步和我在一起,你将会理解一切诗歌的本源,
  You shall possess the good of the earth and sun, (there are millions of suns left,)
  你将会理解大地和太阳中的美好,(在这宇宙中还有成千上万颗太阳,)
  You shall no longer take things at second or third hand, nor look through the eyes of the dead, nor feed on the spectres in books,
  万事万物将不再需要通过二手和三手的方式让你接受,你也不再需要借助那已逝前人的眼睛去到处观瞧,更不需要依靠那些在书中游荡的幽灵来吸取营养,
  You shall not look through my eyes either, nor take things from me,
  你不应当借助我的眼睛去审看世界,更不应当通过我来接受这万物千灵,
  You shall listen to all sides and filter them from your self.
  你应当去耳听八方啊,通过自己来筛滤选挑。
  Title: Song of Myself (3)
  题目:歌唱自我(3)

  I have heard what the talkers were talking, the talk of the beginning and the end,
  我听见了清谈家的议论,探讨着什么是始什么是终,
  But I do not talk of the beginning or the end.
  但我不谈论始也不谈论终。

  There was never any more inception than there is now,
  因为与以往的任何时候相比,现在才更像是一个起点,
  Nor any more youth or age than there is now,
  与以往的任何时候相比,现在更为年青也更为年老,
  And will never be any more perfection than there is now,
  但与将来的任何时候相比啊,现在又更像是一个完美的顶点,
  Nor any more heaven or hell than there is now.
  与将来的任何时候相比,现在更像天堂也更像地狱。

  Urge and urge and urge,
  强烈的冲动,强烈的冲动,仍然是这强烈的冲动,
  Always the procreant urge of the world.
  到处是来自这世界的生殖的强烈冲动。
  Out of the dimness opposite equals advance, always substance and increase, always sex,
  从朦胧中走出来,同等而又相对的他们啊,走上前来,永远是物质的和增殖的,永远是性的,
  Always a knit of identity, always distinction, always a breed of life.
  永远是编织在一起的共性,永远是各有区别的特性,永远是生命的型态之一。

  To elaborate is no avail, learn'd and unlearn'd feel that it is so.
  没必要再精心阐释,因为无论你博学还是无知,你必定感到事实就是如此。
  Sure as the most certain sure, plumb in the uprights, well entretied, braced in the beams,
  但我肯定,最百分之百地肯定,那笔直地向上挺立着,像木制构件一样互相钩紧,牢牢地咬合在梁柱之上,
  Stout as a horse, affectionate, haughty, electrical,
  像马一样壮硕,但也柔情切切,可又目中无人,同时又有电流一般的热情,
  I and this mystery here we stand.
  就这样地站在这里的,是我们,是我和这神秘之物。

  Clear and sweet is my soul, and clear and sweet is all that is not my soul.
  我的灵魂清洁而甜美,但是我灵魂之外的部分也一样清洁而甜美,

  Lack one lacks both, and the unseen is proved by the seen,
  两者缺一,则两者俱失,因为无形的那部分啊,只有通过有形的这部分才能得到验证,
  Till that becomes unseen and receives proof in its turn.
  而一旦有形的这部分转变成了无形的那部分,那时又该轮到它来经受验证。

  Showing the best and dividing it from the worst age vexes age,
  一代又一代的人痛苦着,思考如何把最美好的事物展示出来,并让它与最丑恶的事物分开,
  Knowing the perfect fitness and equanimity of things, while they discuss I am silent, and go bathe and admire myself.
  但我却知道,这些东西是完美而平静地彼此结合在一起的啊,所以当他们讨论着这个问题时我沉默着,我走去沐浴,去欣赏我自己。

  Welcome is every organ and attribute of me, and of any man hearty and clean,
  我对我的每一件器官和每一种特质都表示欢迎,同时对任何一个热诚而洁净的人我也这样,
  Not an inch nor a particle of an inch is vile, and none shall be less familiar than the rest.
  因为在它们身上,没有一分一厘是邪恶的,而每一分每一厘都应当被同样地熟悉和了解。

  I am satisfied —— I see, dance, laugh, sing;
  我已经满足---- 我看,我舞,我笑,我歌;
  As the hugging and loving bed-fellow sleeps at my side through the night, and withdraws at the peep of the day with stealthy tread,
  紧抱着我的那位亲爱的同床伙伴呀,他通夜睡在我的身旁,在天光微现时抽身退去,步履悄悄,
  Leaving me baskets cover'd with white towels swelling the house with their plenty,
  给我留下许多覆盖着白色毛巾的篮筐,它们如此丰盛啊,撑满了房屋,
  Shall I postpone my acceptation and realization and scream at my eyes,
  难道此刻我不应当立即接受立即感悟,却要尖声呵斥我的双眼,
  That they turn from gazing after and down the road,
  不让它们沿着那条道路的上下凝视张望,
  And forthwith cipher and show me to a cent,
  而要它们立即为我推算,分毫不差地推算,
  Exactly the value of one and exactly the value of two, and which is ahead?
  第一件的精确价码,第二件的准确估值,还有哪一个要放得靠前?
  Title: Song of Myself (4)
  题目:歌唱自我(4)

  4

  Trippers and askers surround me,
  短途观光的人和问着问题的人围绕在我的身边,
  People I meet, the effect upon me of my early life or the ward and city I live in, or the nation,
  我遇见的那些人,我的早年生活,还有我居住的选区和城市,以及我的国家留给我的印迹,
  The latest dates, discoveries, inventions, societies, authors old and new,
  最近的几次约会,发现,发明,社会团体,新老作家,
  My dinner, dress, associates, looks, compliments, dues,
  我的主餐,服饰,社交,相貌,对人的恭维,所尽的义务,
  The real or fancied indifference of some man or woman I love,
  我爱着的一些男人或女人对我表现冷漠,无论是真的还是我臆想的,
  The sickness of one of my folks or of myself, or ill-doing or loss or lack of money, or depressions or exaltations,
  我的家人或者我自己有了病痛,或是行为不当,或是破财了,缺钱了,抑郁了,得意了,
  Battles, the horrors of fratricidal war, the fever of doubtful news, the fitful events;
  战斗,手足相残的战争的恐怖,传闻引起的狂热,不时出现的大事要闻;
  These come to me days and nights and go from me again,
  这些东西啊,每日每夜都与我腆面相迎,而后又离我而去,
  But they are not the Me myself.
  但是它们都不构成属于我自己的那个“我”,
  Apart from the pulling and hauling stands what I am,
  真正的我啊,离开这些纷纷扰扰站立着,
  Stands amused, complacent, compassionating, idle, unitary,
  我站着,被逗笑了,沾沾自喜,充满怜悯,慵懒无为,自成一体,
  Looks down, is erect, or bends an arm on an impalpable certain rest,
  我目光下垂,我笔直挺立,或者弯起一只胳膊,把它靠在一个无形却又确实存在的支架上,
  Looking with side-curved head curious what will come next,
  我歪着头好奇地看着,看着下面将要发生的是什么,
  Both in and out of the game and watching and wondering at it.
  我既置身于这场游戏之中,又置身这场游戏之外,观察着并为这场游戏惊叹。

  Backward I see in my own days where I sweated through fog with linguists and contenders,
  向回望去,我看见我自己的那些日子,在那里我与语言学家和雄辩高才们在迷雾中挥汗穿越,
  I have no mockings or arguments, I witness and wait.
  我既不嘲讽也不给出论据,我只见证和等待。
  Title: Song of Myself (5)
  题目:歌唱自我(5)

  5

  I believe in you my soul, the other I am must not abase itself to you,
  我相信你啊,我的灵魂,但作为另一个我的我,决不能让自己向你俯首屈膝,
  And you must not be abased to the other.
  而你也决不可向这另一个我屈膝俯首。

  Loafe with me on the grass, loose the stop from your throat,
  请与我一起闲游于这片青草,把你堵住的喉咙放开,
  Not words, not music or rhyme I want, not custom or lecture, not even the best,
  我不想听用词语,音乐或韵律组成的声音,也不想听家常闲谈或严肃的演讲,即使是最最高明的那种,
  Only the lull I like, the hum of your valved voice.
  唯独让我欢喜的只有那宁神的安抚,和你压低声音的轻哼。

  I mind how once we lay such a transparent summer morning,
  我所珍爱的啊,是我们曾经躺在,一个如此清亮的夏日清晨,
  How you settled your head athwart my hips and gently turn'd over upon me,
  你是怎样地把你的头横枕在我的臀部,然后在我身上温柔轻缓地转过身体,
  And parted the shirt from my bosom-bone, and plunged your tongue to my bare-stript heart,
  解开我遮掩着胸骨的衬衣,让你的舌尖探入我赤裎的心脏,
  And reach'd till you felt my beard, and reach'd till you held my feet.
  你伸展双手,直到你触摸到了我的胡须,你伸展双手,直到你抱住了我的双脚。

  Swiftly arose and spread around me the peace and knowledge that pass all the argument of the earth,
  那超越了世界上所有争执的安宁与智识,猛然地升腾,笼罩在我的周围,
  And I know that the hand of God is the promise of my own,
  于是我知道上帝的手就是我自己的许诺,
  And I know that the spirit of God is the brother of my own,
  于是我知道上帝的精神就是我自己的兄弟,
  And that all the men ever born are also my brothers, and the women my sisters and lovers,
  那曾经被诞下的每一个男人都是我的兄弟,而每一个女人都是我的姐妹和爱人,

  And that a kelson of the creation is love,
  我知道爱是内在的龙骨,支撑着被创造的万物,
  And limitless are leaves stiff or drooping in the fields,
  我知道那僵硬枯萎垂落在田野上的叶子无穷无尽,
  And brown ants in the little wells beneath them,
  叶片下面那些细小孔洞里住着的褐色的蚂蚁无穷无尽,
  And mossy scabs of the worm fence, heap'd stones, elder, mullein and poke-weed.
  弯曲的围栏上苔藓的瘢痕,堆在一起的石头,还有接骨木,毛蕊花和美洲商陆草都无穷无尽。

  Title: Song of Myself (6)
  题目:歌唱自我(6)

  6

  A child said What is the grass? fetching it to me with full hands,
  这是什么草呀?一个孩子说着,用手满满地捧了一捧交给了我,
  How could I answer the child? I do not know what it is any more than he.
  可我又怎能给这个孩子答案?对于这些草我知道的并不比他更多。

  I guess it must be the flag of my disposition, out of hopeful green stuff woven.
  我想它应该是用充满希望的绿色材料编织的代表我气质的一面旗帜。

  Or I guess it is the handkerchief of the Lord,
  我又想它应该是上帝的一块手帕,
  A scented gift and remembrancer designedly dropt,
  是一件有意丢下的喷香的礼物和纪念品,
  Bearing the owner's name someway in the corners, that we may see and remark, and say Whose?
  在每个角上用某种方式留下了主人的名字,让我们能够看到并发表见解,而且要问这是谁的?

  Or I guess the grass is itself a child, the produced babe of the vegetation.
  我又想这草它自己或许就是一个孩子,是按草木的生长过程所孕育的幼婴。

  Or I guess it is a uniform hieroglyphic,
  我也猜想它是一种统一的象形文字,
  And it means, Sprouting alike in broad zones and narrow zones,
  它表示的是,无论是在宽敞的地域还是在狭窄的地带它们都会长出同样的嫩芽,
  Growing among black folks as among white,
  无论是在黑人伙计们之中还是在白人兄弟之中,它们都同样生长,
  Kanuck, Tuckahoe, Congressman, Cuff, I give them the same, I receive them the same.
  凯纳克人,特卡荷人,国会议员和柯甫人啊,我用同样的文字向他们灌输,我也用的同样的文字将它们接受。

  And now it seems to me the beautiful uncut hair of graves.
  而现在对我而言,它又像是坟墓上长出的未经修剪的美丽毛发。

  Tenderly will I use you curling grass,
  我要温柔体贴地使用你,卷曲的草啊,
  It may be you transpire from the breasts of young men,
  因为你也许像从叶片上蒸发出来的汁液一样,从年轻人的胸膛里蒸发出来,
  It may be if I had known them I would have loved them,
  那些年轻的人啊,如果我有幸那时就认识他们,或许我早已把他们爱上,
  It may be you are from old people, or from offspring taken soon out of their mothers' laps,
  你也或许来自那些年老的人们,或者是那些刚刚出生就从母亲的膝上抱走的幼儿,
  And here you are the mothers' laps.
  但在这里你自己要成为母亲的膝头。

  This grass is very dark to be from the white heads of old mothers,
  假如来自母亲们的老迈的白头,这草的颜色不会如此之深,
  Darker than the colourless beards of old men,
  假如来自老迈男人们失去了颜色的胡须,它的颜色应当更为苍白,
  Dark to come from under the faint red roofs of mouths.
  它的深浅啊,正好说明它们来自口腔那淡红色屋顶之下。

  O I perceive after all so many uttering tongues,
  哦,我终于认出来了,这是许多正在发出声音的舌头,
  And I perceive they do not come from the roofs of mouths for nothing.
  我也明白了它们之所以会生长在口腔的顶棚之下,并非出于无心的安排。

  I wish I could translate the hints about the dead young men and women,
  我希望我能诠释有关那些死去的年轻的男人和女人的隐喻,
  And the hints about old men and mothers, and the offspring taken soon out of their laps.
  还有有关那些老人和母亲的隐喻,以及那些刚出生就从她们的膝上抱走了的婴儿的隐喻。

  What do you think has become of the young and old men?
  你说那些年轻人和老人变成了什么?
  And what do you think has become of the women and children?
  你再说说那些女人和孩子变成了什么?

  They are alive and well somewhere,
  他们还活着,并且活得很好,在某一个地方,
  The smallest sprout shows there is really no death,
  那颗最小的嫩芽就说明了实际上死亡是不存在的,
  And if ever there was it led forward life, and does not wait at the end to arrest it,
  就算即便死亡存在,死亡也只是生命的先导,它并不会等待在生命的终点去攫取生命,
  And ceas'd the moment life appear'd.
  而一旦生命出现,死亡便不再存在。

  All goes onward and outward, nothing collapses,
  万物都在不断不断地前进,它们不会衰退崩溃,
  And to die is different from what any one supposed, and luckier.
  死亡与所有人设想的都不一样,它比人们所设想的要更加幸运。
  Title: Song of Myself (7)
  题目:歌唱自我(7)

  7

  Has any one supposed it lucky to be born?
  有没有人认为诞生到这世上是幸运的?
  I hasten to inform him or her it is just as lucky to die, and I know it.
  我要急迫地告诉他或者她,死亡也恰恰同样地幸运,而我懂得这一点。

  I pass death with the dying and birth with the new-wash'd babe, and am not contain'd between my hat and boots,
  我与将死的人一同经历死亡,与新生的婴儿一起经历出生,我并非仅仅是容身于我靴帽之间的这一个我,
  And peruse manifold objects, no two alike and every one good,
  我仔细地观察了多种多样的事物,它们没有两个是一样的,也没有一个是不好的,
  The earth good and the stars good, and their adjuncts all good.
  大地美好,星星美好,附于它们之上的一切啊,也都美好。

  I am not an earth nor an adjunct of an earth,
  我并非仅仅是一具肉骨凡胎,也不是这肉骨凡胎的附属之物,
  I am the mate and companion of people, all just as immortal and fathomless as myself,
  我是人的兄弟与同伴,这些人每一个都与我自己一样,如同神明一样不朽,不可尽言地复杂,
  (They do not know how immortal, but I know.)
  (他们不知道自己能有多么地不朽啊,而我是知道的。)

  Every kind for itself and its own, for me mine male and female,
  每种东西都有自己独特的代表和象征,而代表我的就是我的那些男人和女人,
  For me those that have been boys and that love women,
  代表我的就是那些人啊,他们曾经是小小男孩,他们爱着女人,
  For me the man that is proud and feels how it stings to be slighted,
  代表我的就是这样的男人啊,他高傲,受到藐视便会感到针刺般痛苦,

  For me the sweet-heart and the old maid, for me mothers and the mothers of mothers,
  代表我的是可爱的甜心少女和终老闺中的未嫁处女,代表我的啊,是母亲以及母亲们的母亲,
  For me lips that have smiled, eyes that have shed tears,
  代表我的是那曾经微笑的嘴唇,也是那曾泪下涟涟的眼睛,
  For me children and the begetters of children.
  代表我的是孩子们啊,还有生下孩子们的父辈。

  Undrape! you are not guilty to me, nor stale nor discarded,
  除去服饰吧!在我面前你并无罪恶,我不会对你日久生厌,也不会把你遗弃,
  I see through the broadcloth and gingham whether or no,
  不管你是不是穿上了平纹细布和方格花布的衣裳,都挡不住我穿透一切的目光,
  And am around, tenacious, acquisitive, tireless, and cannot be shaken away.
  我会充满韧性地,贪婪地,不知疲倦地围绕着你,决不会被你摆脱。
  Title: Song of Myself (8)
  题目:歌唱自我(8)

  8

  The little one sleeps in its cradle,
  小家伙沉睡在在摇篮里,
  I lift the gauze and look a long time, and silently brush away flies with my hand.
  我撩起纱帐,久久的看着,轻轻地用手赶走飞蝇。

  The youngster and the red-faced girl turn aside up the bushy hill,
  小伙和脸蛋红红的姑娘,钻进了灌木丛生的小山包,
  I peeringly view them from the top.
  在他们的头顶,我凝神地窥探。

  The suicide sprawls on the bloody floor of the bedroom,
  沾满血的卧室地板,自杀者躺在那里,四肢张开,
  I witness the corpse with its dabbled hair, I note where the pistol has fallen.
  我是这具头发湿漉的尸体的见证啊,我记下了那支手枪跌落的地方。

  The blab of the pave, tires of carts, sluff of boot-soles, talk of the promenaders,
  街石泄露出的秘密,马车的轮胎,靴底的泥巴,散步时的交谈,
  The heavy omnibus, the driver with his interrogating thumb, the clank of the shod horses on the granite floor,
  又沉又重的公共马车,举起拇指揽客人的车夫,马蹄在花岗岩路面发出的得得的声响,
  The snow-sleighs, clinking, shouted jokes, pelts of snow-balls,
  叮当地响着的雪橇,大声开着的玩笑,来回飞掷的雪球,
  The hurrahs for popular favorites, the fury of rous'd mobs,
  献给大众偶像们的欢呼,暴民们被激怒的火气,
  The flap of the curtain'd litter, a sick man inside borne to the hospital,
  遮盖担架的帘布的忽闪,躺在里面被运往医院的一个病人,
  The meeting of enemies, the sudden oath, the blows and fall,
  仇人的相遇,脱口而出的咒骂,拳头的飞舞和身体的倒地,
  The excited crowd, the policeman with his star quickly working his passage to the centre of the crowd,
  感到兴奋的人群,迅速地挤过人群来到中间的佩着星徽的警察,
  The impassive stones that receive and return so many echoes,
  漠然无知的街石啊,它们接受了这些并转化出这么多的回声,
  What groans of over-fed or half-starv'd who fall sunstruck or in fits,
  那些吃得过饱或者饿得要死的人发出了怎样的呻吟,他们摔倒在地,因为中暑或者突然地晕眩,
  What exclamations of women taken suddenly who hurry home and give birth to babes,
  那些女人突然地发出了怎样的惊叫,她们正匆匆地赶回家中去生下她们的幼儿。

  What living and buried speech is always vibrating here, what howls restrain'd by decorum,
  还在这里不停颤动着的,是什么样的鲜活的和已经埋葬的语言,压制在礼俗规矩之下的,是什么样的哀鸣,
  Arrests of criminals, slights, adulterous offers made, acceptances, rejections with convex lips,
  对罪犯的拘捕,轻蔑傲慢的表现,为勾搭成奸开好的价码,有人接受,有人噘嘴拒绝,
  I mind them or the show or resonance of them —— I come and I depart.
  我关注着他们,我关注着这样的演出,我关注着这些东西引起的反响----我来了,然后我又离开。
  Title: Song of Myself (9)
  题目:歌唱自我(9)

  9


  The big doors of the country barn stand open and ready,
  乡间谷仓的大门敞开着作好了准备,
  The dried grass of the harvest-time loads the slow-drawn wagon,
  慢行的大车装满了收获季节的干草,
  The clear light plays on the brown gray and green intertinged,
  清亮的光线在这错杂交替的青绿与棕灰上嬉戏,
  The armfuls are pack'd to the sagging mow.
  一束束干草堆积着,堆成了松松垂下的草堆。

  I am there, I help, I came stretch'd atop of the load,
  我就在那里,我来帮忙,我伸展开身体躺在草堆的顶上,
  I felt its soft jolts, one leg reclined on the other,
  我感受它轻柔的颤动,把一条腿搭在另一条腿上,
  I jump from the cross-beams and seize the clover and timothy,
  我从横梁上跳下,把三叶草和梯牧草抓在手中,
  And roll head over heels and tangle my hair full of wisps.
  我倒立翻滚啊,让干草杂乱地插满我的发间。
  Title: Song of Myself (10)
  题目:歌唱自我(10)

  9

  Alone far in the wilds and mountains I hunt,
  我独自狩猎在遥远的荒野和山间,
  Wandering amazed at my own lightness and glee,
  四处游走,我惊讶于自己的轻盈与快乐,
  In the late afternoon choosing a safe spot to pass the night,
  黄昏时挑选一块安全之所度过夜晚,
  Kindling a fire and broiling the fresh-kill'd game,
  点起火堆烤炙新狩的猎物,
  Falling asleep on the gather'd leaves with my dog and gun by my side.
  在收集来的一堆树叶上,伴着我的狗与枪我进入了梦乡。

  The Yankee clipper is under her sky-sails, she cuts the sparkle and scud,
  扬基式快帆船撑开了她的天帆,她劈开闪亮的波光疾行快驶,
  My eyes settle the land, I bend at her prow or shout joyously from the deck.
  我双眼紧盯着陆地,弯着身子站在船头或者从在甲板上发出快乐的叫喊。

  The boatmen and clam-diggers arose early and stopt for me,
  船夫和采蛤者早早起来却为我停留,
  I tuck'd my trowser-ends in my boots and went and had a good time;
  我把裤脚塞进靴子,走去享受一段快乐时光,
  You should have been with us that day round the chowder-kettle.
  那天你真应该和我们在一起啊,围着那海鲜杂陈的煮锅。

  I saw the marriage of the trapper in the open air in the far west, the bride was a red girl,
  我看见了遥远西部一个设陷猎手在露天举行婚礼,他娶了一个红种女孩做他的新娘,
  Her father and his friends sat near cross-legged and dumbly smoking, they had moccasins to their feet and large thick blankets hanging from their shoulders,
  她的父亲和他的朋友们盘着腿相依而坐,默默地抽着烟草,鹿皮靴套在他们的脚上,肩上披着大大的厚毯,
  On a bank lounged the trapper, he was drest mostly in skins, his luxuriant beard and curls protected his neck, he held his bride by the hand,
  河堤上悠闲地站着那个设陷猎手,他全身穿满兽皮,茂密的腮须和浓浓的发卷护卫着他的颈项,他用手把他的新娘拥在了怀里,
  She had long eyelashes, her head was bare, her coarse straight locks descended upon her voluptuous limbs and reach'd to her feet.
  她有长长的眼睫,她的头上没有饰物,她又粗又直的发绺垂过她撩人欲望的肢体,垂到了她的脚旁。

  The runaway slave came to my house and stopt outside,
  一个逃亡的奴隶来到我的屋旁,停在了屋外,
  I heard his motions crackling the twigs of the woodpile,
  柴堆上细枝的噼啪声响让我听见了他的动静,
  Through the swung half-door of the kitchen I saw him limpsy and weak,
  透过厨房里摇晃着的半边门扇,我看到他筋疲力尽。
  And went where he sat on a log and led him in and assured him,
  我朝坐在一根圆木上的他走去,把他领进屋子并让他安心,
  And brought water and fill'd a tub for his sweated body and bruis'd feet,
  我把水拿来注满浴盆,让他清洗汗湿的身体和青肿的双脚,
  And gave him a room that enter'd from my own, and gave him some coarse clean clothes,
  我给了他一个房间,想进去得经过我的这间,我送给他几件衣裳,虽然粗糙但却干净,
  And remember perfectly well his revolving eyes and his awkwardness,
  我清楚地记得他转动不定的双眼和局促不安的神态,
  And remember putting plasters on the galls of his neck and ankles;
  我还记得我为他脖颈和脚踝的伤口敷上了药膏,
  He staid with me a week before he was recuperated and pass'd north,
  他在我这里呆了一个星期啊,直到他元气重生去往北方,
  I had him sit next me at table, my fire-lock lean'd in the corner.
  我让他挨着我坐在桌旁,桌角倚靠着我的火枪。
  Title: Song of Myself (11)
  题目:歌唱自我(11)

  11

  Twenty-eight young men bathe by the shore,
  二十八个青年浴于此岸,
  Twenty-eight young men and all so friendly;
  二十八个青年都如此友善,
  Twenty-eight years of womanly life and all so lonesome.
  可二十八年女人般的生命啊,竟都如此地寂寞孤单。

  She owns the fine house by the rise of the bank,
  她有一套精美房舍,在峭立的堤岸之畔,
  She hides handsome and richly drest aft the blinds of the window.
  俊美秀俏穿着盛装华服啊,她藏在窗帘的后方。

  Which of the young men does she like the best?
  那一群小伙之中哪一个是她的最爱?
  Ah the homeliest of them is beautiful to her.
  哦那最平常的一个也是她眼中的俊男。

  Where are you off to, lady? for I see you,
  小姐女士啊,你要移步何方?因为我看见了你啊,
  You splash in the water there, yet stay stock still in your room.
  在那方水中你踏波溅浪,可在你的房中你又静若枯干。

  Dancing and laughing along the beach came the twenty-ninth bather,
  边舞边笑啊,这第二十九个浴者沿着滩涂走来,
  The rest did not see her, but she saw them and loved them.
  其他的浴者没看见她呀,可是她已把他们看见并且爱上。

  The beards of the young men glisten'd with wet, it ran from their long hair,
  水在青年小伙的腮须里闪闪发光,水从他们的长发中流下,
  Little streams pass'd all over their bodies.
  在他们的身上啊,流成了小溪条条。

  An unseen hand also pass'd over their bodies,
  一张无形手掌,也抚过了他们的身躯,
  It descended tremblingly from their temples and ribs.
  它战栗着向下抚去啊,从鬓角也从胸肋。

  The young men float on their backs, their white bellies bulge to the sun, they do not ask who seizes fast to them,
  年青的小伙仰浮在水面,白色的肚皮隆起朝向太阳,他们不去问啊,那抓紧他们的是谁,
  They do not know who puffs and declines with pendant and bending arch,
  他们不知道啊,那喘着气儿弯下腰身俯垂着靠近过来的是谁,
  They do not think whom they souse with spray.
  他们不去想啊,他们拍起水花湿透了谁。
  Title: Song of Myself (12)
  题目:歌唱自我(12)

  12

  The butcher-boy puts off his killing-clothes, or sharpens his knife at the stall in the market,
  屠夫的小伙计还没穿好屠宰服,他或许要在市场的摊位上磨快他的刀,
  I loiter enjoying his repartee and his shuffle and break-down.
  我欣赏着他流连不去哟,因为他机智善辩,还有他的曳步和跺脚。

  Blacksmiths with grimed and hairy chests environ the anvil,
  长满毛的胸膛沾满了灰尘,铁匠们围聚在铁砧四周,
  Each has his main-sledge, they are all out, there is a great heat in the fire.
  大锤抡在每个人的手中,他们全都使出了全力,炉火里迸发出巨大的热量。

  From the cinder-strew'd threshold I follow their movements,
  在洒满炉渣的门槛上我追随着他们的运动,
  The lithe sheer of their waists plays even with their massive arms,
  他们的腰身多么柔软呀,却与那粗壮的手臂配合协调,
  Overhand the hammers swing, overhand so slow, overhand so sure,
  锤子挥过头顶,慢慢地挥过了头顶,稳稳地挥过了头顶,
  They do not hasten, each man hits in his place.
  他们不急不忙,每个人都把锤子准确地砸在自己的位置上。
  Title: Song of Myself (13)
  题目:歌唱自我(13)

  13

  The negro holds firmly the reins of his four horses, the block swags underneath on its tied-over chain,
  那个驾着四匹马的黑人稳稳地抓着马缰,铁链缠裹的大块石料在他身下晃荡,
  The negro that drives the long dray of the stone-yard, steady and tall he stands pois'd on one leg on the string-piece,
  那个驾着运石料的长马车的黑人站得又稳又高,只靠一条腿支撑着啊,他立在纵梁之上,
  His blue shirt exposes his ample neck and breast and loosens over his hip-band,
  蓝色的衬衫松松地罩住了他的腰带,衬衫下露出他宽厚的脖子和胸膛,
  His glance is calm and commanding, he tosses the slouch of his hat away from his forehead,
  他的眼神平静又威严啊,他用手把耷拉下来的帽檐从前额推开,
  The sun falls on his crispy hair and mustache, falls on the black of his polish'd and perfect limbs.
  他卷曲的头发和胡须上落满了阳光,他那光洁完美的黑色肢体上啊,也落满了阳光。

  I behold the picturesque giant and love him, and I do not stop there,
  我注视着这个如画般的巨人并且爱上了他,并且我不停止在那里,
  I go with the team also.
  我还要与这队伍同行。

  In me the caresser of life wherever moving, backward as well as forward sluing,
  在我心里无论走到哪里都有一片对生命的关爱,它到处前寻后觅,
  To niches aside and junior bending, not a person or object missing,
  无论是一旁细小的角落,还是那稚嫩的新芽,它都要俯身查看,不遗漏任何人啊,也不放过任何物件。
  Absorbing all to myself and for this song.
  它把这一切都吸收进我的身体啊,为了能唱出这一首歌。

  Oxen that rattle the yoke and chain or halt in the leafy shade, what is that you express in your eyes?
  拉着轭牵着索嘎嘎行进的牛群,还有在茂叶的树荫下歇息的牛群,你们的眼神里表达的是什么?
  It seems to me more than all the print I have read in my life.
  我好像觉得,你们表达的比我一生中读过的所有书籍啊,都要丰富。

  My tread scares the wood-drake and wood-duck on my distant and day-long ramble,
  我用整天的时间漫游很远很远的地方,我的脚步惊动了林中的公鸭母鸭,
  They rise together, they slowly circle around.
  它们一齐飞起来啊,它们缓缓地盘旋。

  I believe in those wing'd purposes,
  我相信这些有翅膀的生命,它们的生命必有意义,
  And acknowledge red, yellow, white, playing within me,
  我也承认,这红的、黄的、白的万物啊,在我心中奏鸣,
  And consider green and violet and the tufted crown intentional,
  我细细地想到,这绿的、这紫的和这簇状的花冠,都有自己的意识,
  And do not call the tortoise unworthy because she is not something else,
  我不会因为那乌龟仅仅是一只乌龟,就认为她不值一文,
  And the jay in the woods never studied the gamut, yet trills pretty well to me,
  那林中的鹣鸟虽然从没有研究过音律,可那婉啭鸣叫却让我觉得非常美妙,
  And the look of the bay mare shames silliness out of me.
  而那栗色的母马的目光,就能使我羞愧于我的愚蠢无知。
  Title: Song of Myself (14)
  题目:歌唱自我(14)

  14

  The wild gander leads his flock through the cool night,
  公野鹅领着鹅群穿越在清凉夜空,

  Ya-honk he says, and sounds it down to me like an invitation,
  他说,呀嗬,这声音落向我如同一份邀约,
  The pert may suppose it meaningless, but I listening close,
  爱出风头的漂亮人儿或许认为它全无意义,但我仔细谛听,
  Find its purpose and place up there toward the wintry sky.
  发现了它的目标,我把这目标高置于那儿呀,朝向冬日的天空。

  The sharp-hoof'd moose of the north, the cat on the housesill, the chickadee, the prairie-dog,
  四蹄敏捷的北方驼鹿,蹲伏在屋基上的猫,还有山雀,草原犬鼠,
  The litter of the grunting sow as they tug at her teats,
  使劲叼着奶头让母猪哼哼不已的那窝小猪,
  The brood of the turkey-hen and she with her half-spread wings,
  火鸡的一窝幼雏和半张着翅膀的火鸡妈妈,
  I see in them and myself the same old law.
  在他们和我自己身上啊,我看到了那同样的永恒法则。

  The press of my foot to the earth springs a hundred affections,
  我的脚踩压着大地,千百种情感如泉喷涌,
  They scorn the best I can do to relate them.
  这些情感轻蔑地看着我啊,看着我用尽了全力对它们的描述。

  I am enamour'd of growing out-doors,
  我痴迷于在户外成长的生活,
  Of men that live among cattle or taste of the ocean or woods,
  我痴迷与牛群生活在一起的人,我痴迷海洋和森林的味道,
  Of the builders and steerers of ships and the wielders of axes and mauls, and the drivers of horses,
  我痴迷造船的人,掌舵的人,我痴迷挥舞斧头挥舞木槌的人啊,我痴迷驾驶马车的人,
  I can eat and sleep with them week in and week out.
  我可以与他们同食共眠啊,一个星期接着一星期。

  What is commonest, cheapest, nearest, easiest, is Me,
  什么最普通,最卑微,最亲密,最容易接近,什么就是我,
  Me going in for my chances, spending for vast returns,
  我走来,为了属于自己的机会,我付出,为了巨大的回报,
  Adorning myself to bestow myself on the first that will take me,
  我让自己容光焕发啊,为了把自己奉献给第一个接受我的人,
  Not asking the sky to come down to my good will,
  我展示善意啊,不是为了祈求苍天的垂青俯就,
  Scattering it freely forever.
  而是要把它不求回报地无休无止地播散。

  Title: Song of Myself (15)
  题目:歌唱自我(15)

  15

  The pure contralto sings in the organ loft,
  声音纯净的女低音歌手在风琴楼廊上唱起了歌儿,
  The carpenter dresses his plank, the tongue of his foreplane whistles its wild ascending lisp,
  木匠师傅修整手中的板材,粗刨的刨舌发出了粗糙涩口渐渐升高的啸鸣,
  The married and unmarried children ride home to their Thanksgiving dinner,
  成了家的和还没成家的孩子们,都骑着马儿赶回家里,去参加感恩节晚餐,
  The pilot seizes the king-pin, he heaves down with a strong arm,
  舵手抓紧了转向梢,他用一只有力的臂膀,让船倾斜着转了过来,
  The mate stands braced in the whale-boat, lance and harpoon are ready,
  大副站在捕鲸的小划船上,鼓足起力量,长矛和鱼叉都准备好了。

  The duck-shooter walks by silent and cautious stretches,
  打野鸭的射手偷偷而小心地一段一段的走着,
  The deacons are ordain'd with cross'd hands at the altar,
  教会执事叉起双手,到祭坛前领受圣职,
  The spinning-girl retreats and advances to the hum of the big wheel,
  纺纱的姑娘在大纺轮的嗡嗡声中一会儿走上前,一会儿又退回去,
  The farmer stops by the bars as he walks on a First-day loafe and looks at the oats and rye,
  农夫在礼拜天里闲了下来到处走走,他在栅栏面前把步子停下,把目光投向了燕麦和黑麦,
  The lunatic is carried at last to the asylum a confirm'd case,
  那个疯子终于被确诊了,被送进了疯人院,
  (He will never sleep any more as he did in the cot in hismother's bedroom;)
  (他再也不能像从前那样,睡在他母亲卧室里的那张小床上了,)
  The jour printer with gray head and gaunt jaws works at his case,
  头发花白下巴尖瘦的印刷报刊杂志的工人,在他的排字盘前工作着,
  He turns his quid of tobacco while his eyes blurr with the manuscript;
  当盯着原稿的眼睛变得迷矇模糊的时候,他嚼起了他的烟草;
  The malform'd limbs are tied to the surgeon's table,
  变形了的肢体被绑在了外科医生的工作台上,
  What is removed drops horribly in a pail;
  割下来的东西扔进了一只桶里,恶心又可怕;
  The quadroon girl is sold at the auction-stand, the drunkard nods by the bar-room stove,
  一个有四分之一混血的女孩在拍卖台上被卖掉了,醉鬼在酒吧间的炉子边打起了瞌睡,
  The machinist rolls up his sleeves, the policeman travels his beat, the gate-keeper marks who pass,
  机械工人卷起衣袖,警察沿着路线巡逻,看门人记下走过的每一个人,
  The young fellow drives the express-wagon, (I love him, though I do not know him;)
  一个年轻的小伙子赶着快递马车,(我爱上了他,虽然我并不认识他,)
  The half-breed straps on his light boots to compete in the race,
  印第安人和白人生下的混血儿绑好了他的轻便靴,准备参加一场跑步比赛,
  The western turkey-shooting draws old and young, some lean on their rifles, some sit on logs,
  在西部进行的火鸡射击赛吸引了老老和少少的人们,有些人斜倚在来复枪上,有些人坐在圆木上,
  Out from the crowd steps the marksman, takes his position, levels his piece;
  人群里走出了一个神枪手,站到他的位置上,平平地端起了枪,
  The groups of newly-come immigrants cover the wharf or levee,
  一群群新来的移民站满了码头和大堤,
  As the woolly-pates hoe in the sugar-field, the overseer views them from his saddle,
  头发像羊毛一样卷曲的那些人在甘蔗地里锄着草,监工跨坐在马鞍上巡视着他们,
  The bugle calls in the ball-room, the gentlemen run for their partners, the dancers bow to each other,
  舞厅里舞曲的开始号声响了起来,绅士们争着去邀请自己的舞伴,走进舞池的人相互鞠着躬,
  The youth lies awake in the cedar-roof'd garret and harks to the musical rain,
  铺着雪松木屋顶的阁楼里,睡不着的青年躺在那里,听着那音乐一般的雨声,
  The Wolverine sets traps on the creek that helps fill the Huron,
  密执安的狼獾族人在一条流向休伦湖的小溪边设下了陷阱,
  The squaw wrapt in her yellow-hemm'd cloth is offering moccasins and bead-bags for sale,
  裹着镶黄边布巾的印第安女人在出售鹿皮鞋和串珠包,
  The connoisseur peers along the exhibition-gallery with half-shut eyes bent sideways,
  鉴赏家半闭着眼睛沿着展示长廊凝神观瞧,他侧着身子弯下腰来,

  As the deck-hands make fast the steamboat the plank is thrown for the shore-going passengers,
  舱面上的水手把蒸汽船停靠稳当,供乘客上岸的木板扔了过来,
  The young sister holds out the skein while the elder sister winds it off in a ball, and stops now and then for the knots,
  妹妹撑开了一绞纱线,姐姐把它绕成一个圆球,并且不时地停下来把疙瘩解开,
  The one-year wife is recovering and happy having a week ago borne her first child,
  结婚刚满一年的少妇正在高高兴兴地恢复身体,一周以前她生下了她的第一个孩子,
  The clean-hair'd Yankee girl works with her sewing-machine or in the factory or mill,
  头发干净的扬基女孩正在工作,有的在缝纫机上,有的在工厂里或作坊中,
  The paving-man leans on his two-handed rammer, the reporter's lead flies swiftly over the note-book, the signpainter is lettering with blue and gold,
  铺路工人斜靠在双柄槌上,记者的铅笔在笔记本上敏捷地飞舞,画广告招牌的人
  正在用蓝色和金色描着字母,
  The canal boy trots on the tow-path, the book-keeper counts at his desk, the shoemaker waxes his thread,
  运河上的小纤夫沿着纤道小步跑着,会计在他的书桌上算着帐,鞋匠在给他的线打着蜡,
  The conductor beats time for the band and all the performers follow him,
  乐队指挥为乐团打起节拍,所有的演出者都听从着他的指挥,
  The child is baptized, the convert is making his first professions,
  小孩子在接受洗礼,改换教派的在做他的第一次忏悔,
  The regatta is spread on the bay, the race is begun, (how the white sails sparkle!)
  赛艇比赛在海湾里召开了,比赛已经开始,(那些白色的帆儿是多么地闪亮啊!)
  The drover watching his drove sings out to them that would stray,
  贩牲口的看管着他的畜群,用唱歌一般的声音吆喝着要离群的牲口,
  The pedler sweats with his pack on his back, (the purchaser higgling about the odd cent;)
  背上背着包的小贩淌着汗水,(买货的在为蝇头小利和他讨价还价;)
  The bride unrumples her white dress, the minute-hand of the clock moves slowly,
  新娘把白婚纱的绉褶一道道抚平,那钟上的指针慢慢地走着,
  The opium-eater reclines with rigid head and just-open'd lips,
  吸鸦片的人斜斜地躺着,头儿僵硬嘴唇微微张开,
  The prostitute draggles her shawl, her bonnet bobs on her tipsy and pimpled neck,
  妓女把披巾拖在身后,她的无边女帽跟随着她那微带醉意长着疮疹的脖子微微地颤动,
  The crowd laugh at her blackguard oaths, the men jeer and wink to each other,
  挤成一团的人们为她那粗鄙的咒骂而发出笑声,挤眉弄眼的男人们互相嘲弄起哄,
  (Miserable! I do not laugh at your oaths nor jeer you;)
  (可怜的人啊!我不会对你的咒骂发出笑声,我也不会为你而嘲讽起哄;)
  The President holding a cabinet council is surrounded by the great Secretaries,
  总统在召开一个内阁会议,各部门的首长都围在他的身边,
  On the piazza walk three matrons stately and friendly with twined arms,
  三个仪态端庄又友善的妇人挽起了手臂,在广场上行走着,
  The crew of the fish-smack pack repeated layers of halibut in the hold,
  小渔船的船员们在舱里一层一层地码着比目鱼,
  The Missourian crosses the plains toting his wares and his cattle,
  密苏里人带着他的家当和牲畜从一个又一个平原上穿过,

  As the fare-collector goes through the train he gives notice by the jingling of loose change,
  售票员从车厢里穿过,他把零钱弄得叮当响,来引起大家的注意,
  The floor-men are laying the floor, the tinners are tinning the roof, the masons are calling for mortar,
  铺地板的在铺着地板,铁皮工人在给屋顶铺上铁皮,泥水匠在喊着要灰泥,
  In single file each shouldering his hod pass onward the laborers;
  工人们则排成一行,挑着灰浆桶走了上来;
  Seasons pursuing each other the indescribable crowd is gather'd, it is the fourth of Seventh-month, (what salutes of cannon and small arms!)
  一个季节接替着一个季节,多到数不清的群众开始集会了,七月四号到了,(加农炮和轻武器行了多么尊重的致礼呀!)
  Seasons pursuing each other the plougher ploughs, the mower mows, and the winter-grain falls in the ground;
  一个季节接替着一个季节,耕田的耕好了田,收割的做好了收割,冬播的种子也撒进了田地;
  Off on the lakes the pike-fisher watches and waits by the hole in the frozen surface,
  捕狗鱼的渔夫来在湖面上,在冰冻湖面的洞口边他观察并等待着,
  The stumps stand thick round the clearing, the squatter strikes deep with his axe,
  林中空地的四周树桩密密地排列着,新到的定居者举起斧头用力地砍着,
  Flatboatmen make fast towards dusk near the cotton-wood or pecan-trees,
  黄昏到来时船员在三叶杨或者美洲山核桃旁牢牢地拴好了平底船,
  Coon-seekers go through the regions of the Red river or through those drain'd by the Tennessee, or through those of the Arkansas,
  搜索逃跑黑鬼的人搜遍了红河地区,搜遍了田纳西的整个流域,也搜遍了阿肯色河的两岸,
  Torches shine in the dark that hangs on the Chattahooche or Altamahaw,
  火炬闪耀在高悬在恰塔胡支和阿尔塔马哈河上空的黒暗之中,
  Patriarchs sit at supper with sons and grandsons and great-grandsons around them,
  家族里的长者们在晚餐桌旁坐下,儿子孙子和重孙子们围绕在他们身边,
  In walls of adobie, in canvas tents, rest hunters and trappers after their day's sport,
  砖坯屋的墙里,帆布帐蓬里,在一天的狩猎活动后,打猎的和埋陷阱的人都歇息了,
  The city sleeps and the country sleeps,
  城市睡下了,村庄也睡下了,
  The living sleep for their time, the dead sleep for their time,
  活着的人按照他们的时间睡下了,死了的也按照他们的时间睡下了,
  The old husband sleeps by his wife and the young husband sleeps by his wife;
  妻子的身旁睡着老去的丈夫,妻子的身边睡着年轻的丈夫,
  And these tend inward to me, and I tend outward to them,
  而这些都朝我心里走来,我也从自己心里走向他们,
  And such as it is to be of these more or less I am,
  他们现在的这个样子,也就或多或少是我的样子,
  And of these one and all I weave the song of myself.
  用他们每一个人,用他们所有的人,我编织了这首歌颂自我的歌。
  Title: Song of Myself (16)
  题目:歌唱自我(16)

  16

  I am of old and young, of the foolish as much as the wise,
  我既年老,我也年轻,我聪明,但我也同样愚蠢,
  Regardless of others, ever regardful of others,
  我对别人漠不关心啊,但又永远对别人关心备至,
  Maternal as well as paternal, a child as well as a man,
  我身上有母性也有父性,我是孩子又是成人,
  Stuff'd with the stuff that is coarse and stuff'd with the stuff that is fine,
  构成我的材料粗糙低劣,构成我的材料精巧细致。

  One of the Nation of many nations, the smallest the same and the largest the same,
  我是许多民族中的这个民族中的一员,而在这许多的民族之中啊,无论最小还是最大的,都同样只是其中的一员,
  A Southerner soon as a Northerner, a planter nonchalant and hospitable down by the Oconee I live,
  我时而是一个南方人啊,时而又是一个北方人,我是一个居住在奥柯尼河畔的种植园主啊,我冷血可又热情好客,
  A Yankee bound my own way ready for trade, my joints the limberest joints on earth and the sternest joints on earth,
  我也是一个生来就有生意头脑的固执的扬基佬,我的关节是世界上最柔软的,我的关节也是世界上最僵硬的,
  A Kentuckian walking the vale of the Elkhorn in my deer-skin leggings, a Louisianian or Georgian,
  我是一个肯塔基人,裹着鹿皮绑腿走在艾尔克洪溪谷,我也是一个路易斯安那人,或一个佐治亚人,
  A boatman over lakes or bays or along coasts, a Hoosier, Badger, Buck-eye;
  我是一个船夫,在湖上,在海湾,或者沿着海岸航行,我也是一个印第安纳人,威斯康星人和俄亥俄人,
  At home on Kanadian snow-shoes or up in the bush, or with fishermen off Newfoundland,
  穿上加拿大雪地鞋啊,我自在惬意,爬进丛林啊,我自在惬意,远行到纽芬兰与渔人们在一起,我自在惬意,
  At home in the fleet of ice-boats, sailing with the rest and tacking,
  乘上一队冰上滑行船啊,我自在惬意,我与大家一起航行啊,抢着风头转变航向,
  At home on the hills of Vermont or in the woods of Maine, or the Texan ranch,
  在佛蒙特的山丘上啊,我自在惬意,在缅因的林中啊,我自在惬意,在德克萨斯的大牧场里啊,我自在惬意,
  Comrade of Californians, comrade of free North-Westerners, (loving their big proportions,)
  我是加利福尼亚人的同志,我也是那自由的西北部人的同志,(我热爱着他们魁伟的体格,)
  Comrade of raftsmen and coalmen, comrade of all who shake hands and welcome to drink and meat,
  我是撑筏人的同志和煤矿工人的同志,我是所有人的同志啊,只要他们肯把臂言欢,肯热情地留客饮宴,
  A learner with the simplest, a teacher of the thoughtfullest,
  我是一个最单纯的学习者,我也是思想最深邃的老师,
  A novice beginning yet experient of myriads of seasons,
  我是刚刚起步的新手啊,我也阅尽岁月饱经风霜,
  Of every hue and caste am I, of every rank and religion,
  我身上有每一种肤色,也有每一个种姓,属于每一个等级,也属于每一种宗教,
  A farmer, mechanic, artist, gentleman, sailor, quaker,
  我是一个农夫,一个机械工人,一个艺术家,一个绅士,一个水手,一个教友派信徒,
  Prisoner, fancy-man, rowdy, lawyer, physician, priest.
  一个囚徒,一个吃软饭的,一个无赖,一个律师,一个医生,一个牧师。

  I resist any thing better than my own diversity,
  我可以抗拒一切,却无法避开我自身的千面百变,
  Breathe the air but leave plenty after me,
  我要呼吸这空气,但也在我身后留下丰富的剩余,
  And am not stuck up, and am in my place.
  我绝不高傲啊,但我占据着我的位置。

  (The moth and the fish-eggs are in their place,
  (飞蛾和鱼卵占据着自己的位置,
  The bright suns I see and the dark suns I cannot see are in their place,
  那些我看得见的明亮的太阳和那些我看不见的黑暗中的太阳占据着自己的位置,
  The palpable is in its place and the impalpable is in its place.)
  可以感触的东西占据着自己的位置,而感触不到的东西也占据着自己的位置。)
  Title: Song of Myself (17)
  题目:歌唱自我(17)

  17


  These are really the thoughts of all men in all ages and lands, they are not original with me,
  这的确是属于全体人类的思想,属于每一个年龄,每一个国家的人民,它们并非我的独创,
  If they are not yours as much as mine they are nothing, or next to nothing,
  如果它们不是像属于我一样地属于你们,它们将一文不值,或者近乎一文不值,

  If they are not the riddle and the untying of the riddle they are nothing,
  如果它们不是一个谜团,不是对谜团的解析,它们将一文不值,
  If they are not just as close as they are distant they are nothing.
  如果它们不是像近在手边一样地遥不可及,它们还是一文不值,

  This is the grass that grows wherever the land is and the water is,
  这是有土有水就能生长的青草,
  This the common air that bathes the globe.
  这是沐浴大地的平凡空气。
  Title: Song of Myself (18)
  题目:歌唱自我(18)

  18

  With music strong I come, with my cornets and my drums,
  带着强劲的音乐,我来了,带着我的短号和鼓,
  I play not marches for accepted victors only, I play marches for conquer'd and slain persons.
  我不仅仅为公认的胜利者演奏进行曲,我的进行曲也为被征服者和被屠戮者而奏。

  Have you heard that it was good to gain the day?
  你听人说过,赢得一场胜利是美好的吗?
  I also say it is good to fall, battles are lost in the same spirit in which they are won.
  可我也要说啊,输了也是好的,在输掉的战斗中体现的精神,与在赢得的战斗中体现的精神,是一样的。

  I beat and pound for the dead,
  我为死去的人敲敲打打,
  I blow through my embouchures my loudest and gayest for them.
  我要从吹孔中为他们吹出最高亢和最欢乐的乐音。

  Vivas to those who have fail'd!
  万岁,失败的人们!
  And to those whose war-vessels sank in the sea!
  万岁,战舰被击沉在海中的人们!
  And to those themselves who sank in the sea!
  万岁,自身都已沉溺于海中的人们!
  And to all generals that lost engagements, and all overcome heroes!
  万岁,每一个输掉战斗的将军,每一个被征服的英雄!
  And the numberless unknown heroes equal to the greatest heroes known!
  万岁,无数的无名英雄,他们决不次于那些知名的最伟大的英雄!
  Title: Song of Myself (19)
  题目:歌唱自我(19)

  19

  This is the meal equally set, this the meat for natural hunger,
  这是一餐饭,所有人平等分配,这是一块肉,留给真正饿了的人,
  It is for the wicked just the same as the righteous, I make appointments with all,
  它既为正直的人准备,也同样为邪恶的人预备,我和每一个人都订下了一场约会,
  I will not have a single person slighted or left away,
  我将不轻慢任何一位,或者遗漏任何一个,
  The kept-woman, sponger, thief, are hereby invited,
  那做人姘妇的,寄生为业的,偷窃为生的,都将被特地邀请,
  The heavy-lipp'd slave is invited, the venerealee is invited;
  我邀请厚嘴唇的黑奴,我邀请花柳脏病的患者;
  There shall be no difference between them and the rest.
  他们和其他的人啊,将不会被区别对待。

  This is the press of a bashful hand, this the float and odor of hair,
  这是一只羞怯的手的触压,这是发丝的轻拂和芬香,

  This the touch of my lips to yours, this the murmur of yearning,
  这是我的嘴唇与你的嘴唇的触碰,这是渴望思慕的喃喃的轻语,
  This the far-off depth and height reflecting my own face,
  这是映射着我自己的面孔的遥远深处和无极绝顶,,
  This the thoughtful merge of myself, and the outlet again.
  这是我自己在深思熟虑中的融合,然后又再一次地释放。

  Do you guess I have some intricate purpose?
  你在猜想我有一些难以揣测的图谋?
  Well I have, for the Fourth-month showers have, and the mica on the side of a rock has.
  好吧,我是有的,因为四月的阵雨有难以揣测的图谋,那块岩石侧面的云母也有难以揣测的图谋。

  Do you take it I would astonish?
  难道你以为我会让你感到惊愕?
  Does the daylight astonish? does the early redstart twittering through the woods?
  黎明会使你惊愕?那在林中嘁喳鸣啭的早起的红尾鸲会使你惊愕?
  Do I astonish more than they?
  我会比它们还要让你惊愕?

  This hour I tell things in confidence,
  知心的话儿呀,我在此刻吐露,
  I might not tell everybody, but I will tell you.
  我不打算讲给每一个人听,但我要讲给你听。
  Title: Song of Myself (20)
  题目:歌唱自我(20)

  Who goes there? hankering, gross, mystical, nude;
  走向那里的是谁?渴望追求着,粗俗无礼,神秘难懂,赤体袒呈,
  How is it I extract strength from the beef I eat?
  为什么从咽下的牛肉中,我能够汲取力量?

  What is a man anyhow? what am I? what are you?
  人到底是什么?我是什么?你又是什么?

  All I mark as my own you shall offset it with your own,
  所有我立下的代表着我自己的标志,你也应当对应地立下代表你的标志,

  Else it were time lost listening to me.
  否则对我的倾听就是浪费时间。

  I do not snivel that snivel the world over,
  我不哭泣抽搐,不满世界哭泣抽搐,
  That months are vacuums and the ground but wallow and filth.
  说岁月苍白空虚,大地只有一片泥塘污垢。

  Whimpering and truckling fold with powders for invalids, conformity goes to the fourth-remov'd,
  把哀嚎与谄谀裹在药末儿里去给病弱的人吧,让正统的仪规去找我们远出五服的兄弟,
  I wear my hat as I please indoors or out.
  不管屋里屋外,只要我不高兴,我就不把我的帽子摘下。

  Why should I pray? why should I venerate and be ceremonious?
  凭什么我必须祝告祈祷?凭什么我必须恭谦礼让恪守仪俗?

  Having pried through the strata, analyzed to a hair, counsel'd with doctors and calculated close,
  我好奇地查考了每一个阶层,分析了每一根毛发,咨询了很多的医生,通过精细的计算,
  I find no sweeter fat than sticks to my own bones.
  然后我发现附着在我自己骨头上的膏油才散发着最甜美的味道。

  In all people I see myself, none more and not one a barley-corn less,
  在每个人身上我都能找到我自己,每一个都不多出麦粒大的一点,也不少掉出麦粒大的一点,
  And the good or bad I say of myself I say of them.
  在我在自己身上所指出的善与恶,在他们的身上我也同样能够指出。

  I know I am solid and sound,
  我知道我壮实而又健全,
  To me the converging objects of the universe perpetually flow,
  宇宙中那些将聚为一体的物质不停地朝我流动,
  All are written to me, and I must get what the writing means.
  所有的一切都写在了我的面前,而我必须明白这写下的是什么含义。

  I know I am deathless,
  我知道我将不死,
  I know this orbit of mine cannot be swept by a carpenter's compass,
  我知道我的这道轨迹,绝非木匠的画规能够描出,
  I know I shall not pass like a child's carlacue cut with a burnt stick at night.
  我知道我将不会转瞬即逝,像孩子用燃烧的木棍在夜色中画出的漂亮图案那样。

  I know I am august,
  我知道我会让人敬畏,
  I do not trouble my spirit to vindicate itself or be understood,
  但我不会费神去辩白自己,让自己得到理解,
  I see that the elementary laws never apologize,
  在我眼中,最基本的法则永远不需要向谁道歉,
  (I reckon I behave no prouder than the level I plant my house by, after all.)
  (在我看来,不管怎样,我的高傲,不会超过我为建造自己的房子而打下的地基的高度。)

  I exist as I am, that is enough,
  我以我本身之相存在着,这已经够了,
  If no other in the world be aware I sit content,
  我满足地坐着,即使这世上没有人知道,
  And if each and all be aware I sit content.
  我也满足地坐着,即使每一个人和所有的人都知道。

  One world is aware and by far the largest to me, and that is myself,
  但是有一个世界是知道,那是目前对我来说最大的世界,那个世界就是我的自身,
  And whether I come to my own to-day or in ten thousand or ten million years,
  我不在乎是今天还是要等到千百或亿万年之后我才能进入我自己的世界,
  I can cheerfully take it now, or with equal cheerfulness I can wait.
  因为我能愉快地接受于此刻,我也能同样愉快地去等待。

  My foothold is tenon'd and mortis'd in granite,
  我的立脚之处牢固地榫合在花岗岩上,
  I laugh at what you call dissolution,
  我大笑于你们所说的消逝,
  And I know the amplitude of time.
  而且我懂得时间的广阔与充盈。
  Title: Song of Myself (21)
  题目:歌唱自我(21)

  I am the poet of the Body and I am the poet of the Soul,
  我是肉体的诗人,我也是灵魂的诗人,
  The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me,
  天堂的快乐与我相伴,地狱的痛苦也与我相伴,
  The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.
  前者我嫁接在自己的身上让它增长,后者我用一种新的声音诠释。

  I am the poet of the woman the same as the man,
  我是歌颂那与男人同等的女人的诗人,,
  And I say it is as great to be a woman as to be a man,
  而且我要说成为一个女人与成为一个男人一样伟大,
  And I say there is nothing greater than the mother of men.
  我还要说没有什么能比生育男人的母亲更加伟大。

  I chant the chant of dilation or pride,
  我高歌那歌颂扩张与骄傲的颂歌,
  We have had ducking and deprecating about enough,
  我们曾经有过太多的逃避和推卸,
  I show that size is only development.
  但我指出只有发展才能够规模巨大。

  Have you outstript the rest? are you the President?
  你已超越了他人?你已经当上了总统?
  It is a trifle, they will more than arrive there every one, and still pass on.
  但这算不了什么,每个人啊,都将走得比这还远,并且要从这里继续向前。

  I am he that walks with the tender and growing night,
  我是那个他呀,他伴着温柔的成长着的夜晚而行,
  I call to the earth and sea half-held by the night.
  我朝着那被夜晚覆盖了一半的大地和海洋呼唤。

  Press close bare-bosom'd night —— press close magnetic nourishing night!
  贴紧点啊,敞露出胸膛的夜晚----贴紧点啊,富有魅力给人滋养的夜晚!
  Night of south winds —— night of the large few stars!
  刮着南风的夜晚----有着大大而稀疏的星星的夜晚!
  Still nodding night —— mad naked summer night.
  依旧在打着瞌睡的夜晚----疯狂赤裸着的夏夜。

  Smile O voluptuous cool-breath'd earth!
  微笑啊,哦,情欲撩人的气息凉爽的大地!
  Earth of the slumbering and liquid trees!
  沉睡中的液体般柔滑的树木们所生长的大地!
  Earth of departed sunset —— earth of the mountains misty-topt!
  落日告别后的大地----头顶缭绕着云雾的山脉的大地!
  Earth of the vitreous pour of the full moon just tinged with blue!
  被满月琉璃剔透的光亮浇灌成微微一抹淡蓝的大地!
  Earth of shine and dark mottling the tide of the river!
  河面上的潮水交织了明暗斑驳的光影的大地!
  Earth of the limpid gray of clouds brighter and clearer for my sake!
  飘浮着清凉的浅白色云彩的大地,因为我的缘故,云朵更亮,更洁净了!
  Far-swooping elbow'd earth —— rich apple-blossom'd earth!
  在远方起伏弯折着的大地----盛开着苹果花的大地!
  Smile, for your lover comes.
  微笑吧,因为你的爱人来了。

  Prodigal, you have given me love —— therefore I to you give love!
  过于慷慨地啊,你把爱交给了我----因此我也要给你以爱!
  O unspeakable passionate love.
  哦,给你无法言喻的热切的爱。
  Title: Song of Myself (22)
  题目:歌唱自我(22)

  You sea! I resign myself to you also —— I guess what you mean,
  海,你啊!我也要将自己托付给你----我猜到了你要表达的意思,
  I behold from the beach your crooked inviting fingers,
  我从海滩上看见了你的那弯弯的手指在发着邀请,
  I believe you refuse to go back without feeling of me,
  我相信你一定不肯退回,假若你未曾把我触摸,
  We must have a turn together, I undress, hurry me out of sight of the land,
  我们必须一同舞上一曲啊,我褪去衣衫,催着自己快快地消失在陆地的视线之外,
  Cushion me soft, rock me in billowy drowse,
  请做我柔软的床垫,请摇晃我,让我在波涛汹涌中昏昏欲睡,
  Dash me with amorous wet, I can repay you.
  请把多情的海水泼溅在我的身上,我啊,会给你回报。

  Sea of stretch'd ground-swells,
  有着连绵的起伏的海底的大海,
  Sea breathing broad and convulsive breaths,
  呼吸着的大海,宽广地吞吐着急促不匀的气息,
  Sea of the brine of life and of unshovell'd yet always-ready graves,
  海啊,既是有生命的咸水,又是不需挖掘却永远能随时使用的坟场,
  Howler and scooper of storms, capricious and dainty sea,
  呼号着掠水而去的风暴,任性而又优雅的大海,
  I am integral with you, I too am of one phase and of all phases.
  我与你是一体的啊,我也既可以只以一面示人又具有所有的面目。

  Partaker of influx and efflux, I, extoller of hate and conciliation,
  汇聚着又同时散逸着,我,仇恨与和解的颂扬者,
  Extoller of amies and those that sleep in each others' arms.
  朋友情谊的颂扬者啊,以及那些相拥而眠者的颂扬者。

  I am he attesting sympathy,
  我是那个人啊,他在见证同情怜悯,
  (Shall I make my list of things in the house and skip the house that supports them?)
  (若是我列举了一幢房子里的各种物件,我岂会漏过支撑这些物件的房子本身?)

  I am not the poet of goodness only, I do not decline to be the poet of wickedness also.
  我不仅仅为良行善举写诗,我也不拒绝为恶行邪意写下诗篇。

  What blurt is this about virtue and about vice?
  关于美德关于恶习,那些随口而出的言论又能算得什么?
  Evil propels me and reform of evil propels me, I stand indifferent,
  邪恶驱使着我,对邪恶的改造也驱使着我,我在它们之间站着,不偏不倚,
  My gait is no fault-finder's or rejecter's gait,
  我不踩着挑错的步点,我也不踩着拒绝的步点,
  I moisten the roots of all that has grown.
  所有已经长成的东西,我都给它们的根须以滋润。

  Did you fear some scrofula out of the unflagging pregnancy?
  你害怕过在不懈怠的孕育之后,生长出来的却是一些瘰疠结核吗?
  Did you guess the celestial laws are yet to be work'd over and rectified?
  你猜到过即使是那些神圣的律规也还需要研究以及矫正?

  I find one side a balance and the antipodal side a balance,
  我发现一边构成一种平衡,而相对的那一边啊,也构成一种平衡,
  Soft doctrine as steady help as stable doctrine,
  温和的软性教义和坚固而不能渝越的教规是同样扎实的助手,
  Thoughts and deeds of the present our rouse and early start.
  现在的思想和行为是唤醒我们的召唤和我们最初的起点。

  This minute that comes to me over the past decillions,
  这一时刻穿越了过去的亿亿亿万个时刻向我走来,
  There is no better than it and now.
  再也没有任何一个时刻啊,会比这一时刻,比现在这一时刻,更好。

  What behaved well in the past or behaves well to-day is not such a wonder,
  过去的出色表现,或者今天的出色表现,这都算不上值得怎样去惊叹,
  The wonder is always and always how there can be a mean man or an infidel.
  那值得永远永远惊叹的是啊,人怎么可能卑鄙下流,怎么可能没有信仰。
  Title: Song of Myself (23)
  题目:歌唱自我(23)

  Endless unfolding of words of ages!
  把每个时代的词语都绵绵不断地打开!
  And mine a word of the modern, the word En-Masse.
  属于我的词语来自当代,这个词语就是普罗大众。

  A word of the faith that never balks,
  这是个信仰之词,永远不会畏缩不前,
  Here or henceforward it is all the same to me, I accept Time absolutely.
  现在或者是在此之后,对我来说毫无区分,我以绝对之姿承受时间。

  It alone is without flaw, it alone rounds and completes all,
  这个词本身毫无瑕疵,这个词本身就让一切圆满与完全,
  That mystic baffling wonder alone completes all.
  这个神秘而使人困惑的奇迹啊,它独自使一切完全。

  I accept Reality and dare not question it,
  我接受现实,我不敢质疑现实,
  Materialism first and last imbuing.
  它从头至尾染上了物质主义的色彩。

  Hurrah for positive science! long live exact demonstration!
  欢呼,为了这被事实验证的科学!让这些准确的推演长久永存!

  Fetch stonecrop mixt with cedar and branches of lilac,
  把那混着雪松和丁香枝的景天草取来吧,
  This is the lexicographer, this the chemist, this made a grammar of the old cartouches,
  这一个是编字典的专家,这一个是化学家,这一个啊,发现了古埃及象形文字的一条语法,
  These mariners put the ship through dangerous unknown seas,
  这些水手们让船儿穿过了那些危险的未知海洋,
  This is the geologist, this works with the scalpel, and this is a mathematician.
  这一个是地质学家,这一个用解剖刀进行工作,还有这一个啊,是数学家。

  Gentlemen, to you the first honors always!
  先生们,最初的荣耀总是属于你们的!
  Your facts are useful, and yet they are not my dwelling,
  你们的论据是有用的,可是它们不是我的住所,
  I but enter by them to an area of my dwelling.
  我只是通过它们啊,进入一片有我住所的天地。

  Less the reminders of properties told my words,
  我的词语不太提到具体的性质和特征,
  And more the reminders they of life untold, and of freedom and extrication,
  它们更多提到的是那未被阐明的生命,还有自由和解脱,
  And make short account of neuters and geldings, and favor men and women fully equipt,
  我的词语吝于给予不分雌雄和被阉割的生物,我的词语偏爱那发育完全的男人和女人,
  And beat the gong of revolt, and stop with fugitives and them that plot and conspire.
  我的词语敲起反叛的锣声,我的词语与逃亡者,与密谋策划者,与阴谋制造者停留在一起。
  Title: Song of Myself (24)
  题目:歌唱自我(24)

  Walt Whitman, a kosmos, of Manhattan the son,
  沃尔特·惠特曼,他就是一个宇宙,他就是曼哈顿的儿子,
  Turbulent, fleshy, sensual, eating, drinking and breeding.
  骚动狂躁、膘肥肉厚、耽于色欲,他吃着,喝着而且繁殖着。

  No sentimentalist, no stander above men and women or apart from them,
  一个不会伤感的人,不高居于男人女人们之上,也不远离他们,
  No more modest than immodest.
  既不谦虚,也不倨傲。

  Unscrew the locks from the doors!
  把锁从所有的大门上卸掉!
  Unscrew the doors themselves from their jambs!
  把大门本身啊,都从门框上卸掉!

  Whoever degrades another degrades me,
  谁若鄙视他人,谁就是在鄙视我,
  And whatever is done or said returns at last to me.
  无论人们做过什么,说过什么,最终受报的也必将是我。

  Through me the afflatus surging and surging, through me the current and index.
  澎湃着澎湃着的灵感穿我而过,穿我而过呀,潮流与标志。

  I speak the pass-word primeval, I give the sign of democracy,
  我说出来自远古的密码,我发出民主的信号,
  By God! I will accept nothing which all cannot have their counterpart of on the same terms.
  以上帝为证!我不会接受任何东西,除非每一个人都能在同等的条件下得到他那相应的一份。

  Through me many long dumb voices,
  许多悠长暗哑的声音穿我而过,

  Voices of the interminable generation of prisoners and slaves,
  那是看不到尽头的囚徒和奴隶们的时代的声音,
  Voices of the diseas'd and despairing and of thieves and dwarfs,
  那是病痛者和绝望者,盗贼们和侏儒们的声音,
  Voices of cycles of preparation and accretion,
  那是从预备到增长所连成的循环发出的声音,
  And of the threads that connect the stars, and of wombs and of the father-stuff,
  还有把星星连结在一起的线条所发出的声音,子宫的声音,是父亲贡献的材料发出的声音,
  And of the rights of them the others are down upon,
  是那些被歧视的人们的权利所发出的声音,
  Of the deform'd, trivial, flat, foolish, despised,
  是残疾的、平凡的、无趣的、蠢笨的、被瞧不起的人所发出的声音,
  Fog in the air, beetles rolling balls of dung.
  雾漂在空中,甲虫滚着粪球。

  Through me forbidden voices,
  那些被禁封的声音穿我而过,
  Voices of sexes and lusts, voices veil'd and I remove the veil,
  这是性与情欲的声音,这是蒙着面纱的声音,而我揭开了这层面纱,
  Voices indecent by me clarified and transfigur'd.
  这是鄙陋的声音,我把它们澄清并改变形象。

  I do not press my fingers across my mouth,
  我不用手堵上我的嘴巴,
  I keep as delicate around the bowels as around the head and heart,
  我细心体谅地照顾着我的肉体,就如照顾我的头脑与心脏,
  Copulation is no more rank to me than death is.
  对我来说啊,交媾与死亡一样,并不恶心肮脏。

  I believe in the flesh and the appetites,
  我相信肉体,我相信食欲,
  Seeing, hearing, feeling, are miracles, and each part and tag of me is a miracle.
  视觉、听觉、感觉,是一种奇迹,我的每一个部位、每一点碎屑也都是奇迹。

  Divine am I inside and out, and I make holy whatever I touch or am touch'd from,
  我从内到外都是神圣的,而我触摸到的以及触摸我的一切,都因我而变得圣洁,

  The scent of these arm-pits aroma finer than prayer,
  腋窝下芬芳的味道比那祷告更为纯美,
  This head more than churches, bibles, and all the creeds.
  而这个头颅,也要比教堂、经文和教义更为纯美。

  If I worship one thing more than another it shall be the spread of my own body, or any part of it,
  假如有什么能比别的更值得我崇拜,那就应当是我自己那伸展开的身体,以及它的任何一个部位,
  Translucent mould of me it shall be you!
  这铸成我的近乎透明的材料啊,我所崇拜的,应当是你!
  Shaded ledges and rests it shall be you!
  这铺满荫翳的供我歇息的岩角或者支架啊,我所崇拜的,应当是你!
  Firm masculine colter it shall be you!
  这坚固的散发着雄性气息的犁铧啊,我所崇拜的,应当是你!
  Whatever goes to the tilth of me it shall be you!
  所有归于我这片耕地上的东西啊,我所崇拜的,应当是你!
  You my rich blood! your milky stream pale strippings of my life!
  你,我那浓稠的血液!你那从我的生命之中剥离而来的乳白色的稀薄流体!
  Breast that presses against other breasts it shall be you!
  那紧压在别人胸脯上的胸脯啊,我所崇拜的, 应当是你!
  My brain it shall be your occult convolutions!
  还有我的大脑,我所崇拜的啊,应当是你那隐藏着的沟回!
  Root of wash'd sweet-flag! timorous pond-snipe! nest of guarded duplicate eggs! it shall be you!
  洗净的菖蒲根!羞怯的池鹬!被守卫着的那对一摸一样的蛋卵的巢穴!我所崇拜的,应当是你们!
  Mix'd tussled hay of head, beard, brawn, it shall be you!
  纠缠着干草的头发,连鬓胡须,发达的肌肉,我所崇拜的,应当是你们!
  Trickling sap of maple, fibre of manly wheat, it shall be you!
  滴滴流下的枫树的汁液,小麦强健的纤维,我所崇拜的,应当是你们!
  Sun so generous it shall be you!
  如此慷慨的太阳啊,我所崇拜的,应当是你!
  Vapors lighting and shading my face it shall be you!
  映亮又遮掩我脸庞的水汽啊,我所崇拜的,应当是你!
  You sweaty brooks and dews it shall be you!
  还有你们,汗水流成的小溪和露滴,我所崇拜的,应当是你们!
  Winds whose soft-tickling genitals rub against me it shall be you!
  摩挲着我的风儿,像性器一样柔软而让人酥痒,我崇拜的啊,应当是你们!
  Broad muscular fields, branches of live oak, loving lounger in my winding paths, it shall be you!
  肌肉发达的宽阔大地,生气勃勃的橡树枝条,在我那蜿蜒小道上悠闲漫步的可爱人儿,我所崇拜的,应当是你们!
  Hands I have taken, face I have kiss'd, mortal I have ever touch'd, it shall be you.
  我曾牵过的双手,我曾吻过的脸庞,我曾有幸触摸过的凡人之躯,我所崇拜的,应当是你们。

  I dote on myself, there is that lot of me and all so luscious,
  我溺爱着我自己,这里有这么多的我,每一个都如此地充满性欲色念,
  Each moment and whatever happens thrills me with joy,
  每一个瞬间,所发生的一切,都让我快乐地颤动,
  I cannot tell how my ankles bend, nor whence the cause of my faintest wish,
  我既不能说清我的脚踝如何地转动,也讲不清楚我最微弱的愿望因何而起,
  Nor the cause of the friendship I emit, nor the cause of the friendship I take again.
  也说不清我为何要向外播撒友爱,还有我又把这份友爱接受的缘由。

  That I walk up my stoop, I pause to consider if it really be,
  我不确定我是否真地走上了房前的露台,我要停一停想一想,
  A morning-glory at my window satisfies me more than the metaphysics of books.
  我窗上的一朵牵牛花,它给了我比任何书上形而上的理论还要多的满足。

  To behold the day-break!
  来看看这破晓之时!
  The little light fades the immense and diaphanous shadows,
  那细小的光芒竟退去了那些巨大飘渺的黑影,
  The air tastes good to my palate.
  我感觉到这空气的味道,多么甜美。

  Hefts of the moving world at innocent gambols silently rising, freshly exuding,
  这移动着的世界的主角们在天真的游戏里静静地升起,活泼地渗了出来,
  Scooting obliquely high and low.
  高高低低地倾斜着,飞驰而去。

  Something I cannot see puts upward libidinous prongs,
  有个我看不见的东西向上举起了它的情欲之尖,
  Seas of bright juice suffuse heaven.
  那光明汁液之海弥漫了天空。

  The earth by the sky staid with, the daily close of their junction,
  大地稳重地呆在天边,它们每一天的交合结束了,
  The heav'd challenge from the east that moment over my head,
  此刻在我的头顶,盘旋着一个来自东方的挑战,
  The mocking taunt, See then whether you shall be master!
  它嘲讽地讥笑道,那么就看看你是否能成为主宰!
  Title: Song of Myself (25)
  题目:歌唱自我(25)

  25

  Dazzling and tremendous how quick the sun-rise would kill me,
  日出时的耀眼光芒和可怕力量将多么快地把我杀死,
  If I could not now and always send sun-rise out of me.
  如果我不能现在并且永远地把升起的太阳从心中向外托送。

  We also ascend dazzling and tremendous as the sun,
  我们也像太阳一样,带着耀眼的光芒和可怕的力量向上升起,
  We found our own O my soul in the calm and cool of the day-break.
  在破晓时的平静和凉爽中,哦,我的灵魂,我们找到了我们自己。

  My voice goes after what my eyes cannot reach,
  我的声音跟随着我的目光,去到它无法到达的地方,
  With the twirl of my tongue I encompass worlds and volumes of worlds.
  随着我舌尖的旋动,我包纳了许多的世界和许多世界的浩瀚无边。

  Speech is the twin of my vision, it is unequal to measure itself,
  语言是我视觉的孪生兄弟,它总是高看着自己,
  It provokes me forever, it says sarcastically,
  它不停地刺激着我,它讥讽地说,
  Walt you contain enough, why don't you let it out then?
  沃尔特,你的蓄积已经够多,可你为什么不将它们释放?

  Come now I will not be tantalized, you conceive too much of articulation,
  那就来吧,但我不会因为你的逗引而焦躁不安,你太执迷于那些清晰连贯的发音,
  Do you not know O speech how the buds beneath you are folded?
  你知道吗,哦,语言,那些蓓蕾是如何地在你的身下收敛起花瓣?
  Waiting in gloom, protected by frost,
  在忧郁的等待中,在冰霜的保护下,
  The dirt receding before my prophetical screams,
  那些尘垢在我富含预言的尖叫声中退去,
  I underlying causes to balance them at last,
  我终于啊,为那些目标筑好了基础,把它们稳稳立住,

  My knowledge my live parts, it keeping tally with the meaning of all things,
  我的知识是我生命的一部分,它不停地把万物的内涵一一收集,
  Happiness, (which whoever hears me let him or her set out in search of this day.)
  幸福快乐就是它的内涵,(听见了我的他或者她,从今天起就开始去把它寻找吧。)

  My final merit I refuse you, I refuse putting from me what I really am,
  我不会把最核心的财富交给你,我不会把真正的我从我心中交出,
  Encompass worlds, but never try to encompass me,
  去包纳整个世界吧,但永远不要想包纳我,
  I crowd your sleekest and best by simply looking toward you.
  我随随便便朝你投去的一个眼神,最衣冠楚楚和最完美的你就将被完全塞满。

  Writing and talk do not prove me,
  文字和话语都无法说清真正的我,
  I carry the plenum of proof and every thing else in my face,
  我把充足的证据和其它的一切都戴在脸上,
  With the hush of my lips I wholly confound the skeptic.
  我闭上双唇,让那怀疑者惶恐不安。
  Title: Song of Myself (26)
  题目:歌唱自我(26)

  26

  Now I will do nothing but listen,
  现在我什么都不做,我只倾听,
  To accrue what I hear into this song, to let sounds contribute toward it.
  积攒我之所听于此歌之中,让千声万响为此歌增色。

  I hear bravuras of birds, bustle of growing wheat, gossip of flames, clack of sticks cooking my meals.
  我倾听鸟儿的华丽乐章,小麦生长时的喧嚷打闹,火焰的窃窃私语,还有为我准备餐饮的柴火的噼啪炸响。
  I hear the sound I love, the sound of the human voice,
  我倾听我热爱的声音,人们说话唱歌的声音,
  I hear all sounds running together, combined, fused or following,
  我倾听所有的声音奔跑相汇,它们相连,相融或者彼此相随,
  Sounds of the city and sounds out of the city, sounds of the day and night,
  城市的声音和城市外面的声音,白昼以及黑夜的声音,
  Talkative young ones to those that like them, the loud laugh of work-people at their meals,
  善谈的年轻人和喜欢自己的人们交谈,正在吃饭的工人们大声地发出笑声,
  The angry base of disjointed friendship, the faint tones of the sick,
  绝情断义时愤怒的恶语相加,患了病的身体发出的虚弱声调,
  The judge with hands tight to the desk, his pallid lips pronouncing a death-sentence,
  法官的手紧按在桌上,他苍白的嘴唇宣布了死刑的判决,
  The heave'e'yo of stevedores unlading ships by the wharves, the refrain of the anchor-lifters,
  码头上从船上卸货的装缷工发出起-呀-走的吆喝,起锚机哼着重叠咏唱的副歌,
  The ring of alarm-bells, the cry of fire, the whirr of swift-streaking engines and hose-carts with premonitory tinkles and color'd lights,
  警报铃铃铃的响声,报告失火的叫喊,飞速运动的蒸汽机呼哧呼哧的声音,叮叮铛铛地发着警告、闪烁着彩灯的水龙马车,
  The steam-whistle, the solid roll of the train of approaching cars,
  汽笛呼啸着,结实的车轮转动着,一列列车驶近了。

  The slow march play'd at the head of the association marching two and two,
  亲朋好友两个一排排好了队列,队列的前面响起节奏低缓的送葬曲,
  (They go to guard some corpse, the flag-tops are draped with black muslin.)
  (他们去为某具灵柩守灵,黑色轻纱从旗子的顶端轻轻垂下。)

  I hear the violoncello, ('tis the young man's heart's complaint,)
  我倾听大提琴的声音,(它是发自年轻小伙心中的哀怨,)
  I hear the key'd cornet, it glides quickly in through my ears,
  我倾听带配键的小号,它快速滑动钻进我的耳窟,
  It shakes mad-sweet pangs through my belly and breast.
  它穿透了我的胸腹,荡起阵阵甜蜜欲狂的剧痛。

  I hear the chorus, it is a grand opera,
  我倾听合唱的声音,那是一部宏大的歌剧,
  Ah this indeed is music —— this suits me.
  哦,这是实实在在的音乐啊----与我心意相合的音乐。

  A tenor large and fresh as the creation fills me,
  一个宽广鲜活的男高音,如同创世一样,把我充实,
  The orbic flex of his mouth is pouring and filling me full.
  他的嘴张大成圆满之状,向我倾注,把我注满。

  I hear the train'd soprano (what work with hers is this?)
  我倾听那技巧纯熟的女高音(和她的相比我的这支歌儿又能算什么?)
  The orchestra whirls me wider than Uranus flies,
  乐队带着我飞旋,飞到比天王星还要远地方,
  It wrenches such ardors from me I did not know I possess'd them,
  它从我心中榨取了这么多的热情啊,而我竟没意识到我拥有着它们,
  It sails me, I dab with bare feet, they are lick'd by the indolent waves,
  它载我在水上航行,我轻轻拍打赤裸的双脚,让慵懒的波浪把它们轻舔,
  I am cut by bitter and angry hail, I lose my breath,
  我被苦痛与愤怒的冰雹切割,我失去了自己的呼吸,
  Steep'd amid honey'd morphine, my windpipe throttled in fakes of death,
  我浸没于蜜一般的吗啡,在那假死的状态里,窒住了我的气管,
  At length let up again to feel the puzzle of puzzles, And that we call Being.
  但我又终于松弛如初啊,来感受那迷中之谜,那被我们称为生命的迷团。
  Title: Song of Myself (27)
  题目:歌唱自我(27)

  27

  To be in any form, what is that?
  它可以以任何形状存在,它会是什么呢?
  (Round and round we go, all of us, and ever come back thither,)
  (我们,我们全体,都在走啊走地画着圆圈,然后又总是回到那里,)
  If nothing lay more develop'd the quahaug in its callous shell were enough.
  如果万物都不再进化,那么有了长在没有知觉的硬壳中的圆蛤也就足够。

  Mine is no callous shell,
  但我的生命没有那没有感觉的硬壳,
  I have instant conductors all over me whether I pass or stop,
  我的周身布满灵敏的导体,无论我走过哪里,停留在哪里,
  They seize every object and lead it harmlessly through me.
  它们会抓住每一个物体,引着它,毫无伤害地穿过我的身体。

  I merely stir, press, feel with my fingers, and am happy,
  仅仅是用我的手指去轻拂、触摸和感觉,就能使我感到幸福,
  To touch my person to some one else's is about as much as I can stand.
  而能与其他的某个人发生个人的接触,那就几乎达到了我所能承受的极限。
  Title: Song of Myself (28)
  题目:歌唱自我(28)

  28

  Is this then a touch? quivering me to a new identity,
  那么这就是那种接触吗?它使我颤栗,变成了一个新的个体,
  Flames and ether making a rush for my veins,
  火焰和让人麻痹的乙醚啊,突然涌向我的血管,
  Treacherous tip of me reaching and crowding to help them,
  我身体里那个叛变成性的顶端伸了出去胀满着来帮助他们,
  My flesh and blood playing out lightning to strike what is hardly different from myself,
  我用肉体与鲜血放射出一道闪电,去击中几乎和我难于区别的那一个,
  On all sides prurient provokers stiffening my limbs,
  在我的四周那些充满渴欲的挑逗者僵直了我的四肢,
  Straining the udder of my heart for its withheld drip,
  他们像挤压牛羊的奶水一样,挤压出保存在我心里的乳汁,
  Behaving licentious toward me, taking no denial,
  朝我做出放肆的举动,不容我丝毫地拒绝,
  Depriving me of my best as for a purpose,
  他们蓄意夺取我最美好的东西啊,
  Unbuttoning my clothes, holding me by the bare waist,
  脱去我的衣裳,抱住我赤裸的腰身,
  Deluding my confusion with the calm of the sunlight and pasture-fields,
  使我在恍惚中产生的幻觉里,感到了阳光和青草牧地的宁谧,
  Immodestly sliding the fellow-senses away,
  其他的感官伙伴毫不客气地悄然离去,
  They bribed to swap off with touch and go and graze at the edges of me,
  他们通过贿赂与这触摸交换了位置,躲往我的边缘之处嚼食牧草,
  No consideration, no regard for my draining strength or my anger,
  不考虑,不关心我正在枯竭的力气和我的愤怒气恼,
  Fetching the rest of the herd around to enjoy them a while,
  他们招引周围所有的牧群,让他们享受片刻欢愉,
  Then all uniting to stand on a headland and worry me.
  然后全体联合在一起,站在那岬角之上,让我忧烦。

  The sentries desert every other part of me,
  哨兵们放弃了对我身体的任何其它部位的守卫,
  They have left me helpless to a red marauder,
  他们留下我绝望地面对一个残暴的劫掠者,
  They all come to the headland to witness and assist against me.
  他们全都来到那岬角之上,见证并帮助着与我作对。

  I am given up by traitors,
  叛徒们出卖了我,
  I talk wildly, I have lost my wits, I and nobody else am the greatest traitor,
  我发疯一般地说着,我已经失去了理智,是我自己,而不是其他任何人,才是那个最大的叛徒,
  I went myself first to the headland, my own hands carried me there.
  我自己头一个走到那岬角之上,是我自己的双手啊,把我送到了那儿。

  You villain touch! what are you doing? my breath is tight in its throat,
  你这恶棍,这触摸!你看你干了什么?我的喉管发紧压迫了我的呼吸,
  Unclench your floodgates, you are too much for me.
  打开你那蓄积的闸门吧,我实在无法把你承受。
  Title: Song of Myself (29)
  题目:歌唱自我(29)

  29

  Blind loving wrestling touch, sheath'd hooded sharp-tooth'd touch!
  这盲目的可爱的又如同博斗一般的触摸啊,这藏在鞘中戴着头套长着尖尖牙齿的触摸!
  Did it make you ache so, leaving me?
  离开我,这使你感到了痛苦吗?

  Parting track'd by arriving, perpetual payment of perpetual loan,
  逝者足迹啊,总有后来者追寻,不断地付出啊,总有不停的回报,
  Rich showering rain, and recompense richer afterward.
  慷慨浇洒的雨水啊,将在后面得到更为丰厚的补偿。

  Sprouts take and accumulate, stand by the curb prolific and vital,
  嫩芽初生逐渐成片连绵,它们立于路边丰饶繁茂生机盎然,
  Landscapes projected masculine, full-sized and golden.
  阳刚之气从风光景致里迸发而出,发育完全,色若黄金。
  Title: Song of Myself (30)
  题目:歌唱自我(30)

  30

  All truths wait in all things,
  所有的真,都蛰伏于万物中等待,
  They neither hasten their own delivery nor resist it,
  它们既不匆匆降生,也不抗拒那一刻的到来,
  They do not need the obstetric forceps of the surgeon,
  它们不需要外科医生的产钳,
  The insignificant is as big to me as any,
  那最不起眼的一个,对我来说,也与其它任何一个同样重大,
  (What is less or more than a touch?)
  (有什么能比一次触摸更重要或更不重要?)

  Logic and sermons never convince,
  逻辑与说教永远不能让人信服,
  The damp of the night drives deeper into my soul.
  只有黑夜的潮润才能更深地渗入我的灵魂。

  (Only what proves itself to every man and woman is so,
  (只有能在每一个男人和女人面前证明自己的,才能做到这点,
  Only what nobody denies is so.)
  只有没有人能否认的东西,才能做到这点。)

  A minute and a drop of me settle my brain,
  一分钟和一小滴的我清醒了我的大脑,
  I believe the soggy clods shall become lovers and lamps,
  我确信那些湿软的团块将会变为爱侣和明灯,
  And a compend of compends is the meat of a man or woman,
  而从精要中摘取的精要会构成一个男人或女人的本元,
  And a summit and flower there is the feeling they have for each other,
  到达顶点开放花朵他们就有了对彼此所抱有的感情,
  And they are to branch boundlessly out of that lesson until it becomes omnific,
  他们将从这样的教程中无休止地抽枝发条,直到它成为全能的创造者,
  And until one and all shall delight us, and we them.
  直到所有的一切欣喜我们,我们欣喜它们。
  Title: Song of Myself (31)
  题目:歌唱自我(31)

  31

  I believe a leaf of grass is no less than the journey-work of the stars,
  我相信一片草叶的意义并不逊色于星星们的暮起朝落,

  And the pismire is equally perfect, and a grain of sand, and the egg of the wren,
  我相信一只蚂蚁,一颗沙粒以及鹪鹩所下的蛋也一样完美,
  And the tree-toad is a chef-d'oeuvre for the highest,
  我相信树蛙是一个第一流的杰作,
  And the running blackberry would adorn the parlors of heaven,
  我相信蔓延连绵的黒莓将装饰天堂的廊柱,
  And the narrowest hinge in my hand puts to scorn all machinery,
  我相信我手上最细小的筋节便足以蔑视一切机械器物,

  And the cow crunching with depress'd head surpasses any statue,
  我相信那头低头咀嚼青草的奶牛,它的形象胜于一切人工的造像,
  And a mouse is miracle enough to stagger sextillions of infidels.
  我相信一只老鼠就足以构成奇迹,让亿亿万万个没有信仰的人发生动摇。

  I find I incorporate gneiss, coal, long-threaded moss, fruits, grains, esculent roots,
  我发觉构成我身体的啊,是片麻岩、煤炭、长丝般的苔藓、水果、谷物、可以食用的植物的根,
  And am stucco'd with quadrupeds and birds all over,
  四脚的走兽和会飞的禽鸟粉饰了我的周身,
  And have distanced what is behind me for good reasons,
  那些跟不上我的啊,我已用充足的理由将它们疏远,
  But call any thing back again when I desire it.
  可一旦渴望,我又能把任意一个重新召回。

  In vain the speeding or shyness,
  速度奇快或者害羞腼腆都是徒劳的,
  In vain the plutonic rocks send their old heat against my approach,
  为了抗拒我的到来而把它们从远古蓄积的热量散发出来的火成岩是徒劳的,
  In vain the mastodon retreats beneath its own powder'd bones,
  把自己的骨头化成齑粉躲藏起来的乳齿象是徒劳的,
  In vain objects stand leagues off and assume manifold shapes,
  远远躲开并化成各种形象的物体们是徒劳的,
  In vain the ocean setting in hollows and the great monsters lying low,
  海洋退入谷底,巨大的怪兽低低伏卧是徒劳的,
  In vain the buzzard houses herself with the sky,
  就算秃鹰把天空当作她的家园也是徒劳的,
  In vain the snake slides through the creepers and logs,
  就算蛇能从藤蔓和伐倒的圆木之中滑走也是徒劳的,
  In vain the elk takes to the inner passes of the woods,
  选择了林木深处的通道的麂鹿是徒劳的,
  In vain the razor-bill'd auk sails far north to Labrador,
  远翔到北方的拉布拉多的长着尖喙的海雀是徒劳的,
  I follow quickly, I ascend to the nest in the fissure of the cliff.
  我能快速地跟随着啊,我能攀上悬崖,到达那掩藏在悬崖缝隙中的巢窠。
  Title: Song of Myself (32)
  题目:歌唱自我(32)

  32

  I think I could turn and live with animals, they're so placid and self-contain'd,
  我希望我能转过身去,与动物们相伴生活,他们是如此地沉静安祥自足自满,
  I stand and look at them long and long.
  我停步站立把他们注视,久久久久地。

  They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
  他们不会因为自己的处境而汗下哀鸣,
  They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins,
  他们不会在黑暗中张目难眠而为自己的罪孽抽搐哭泣,
  They do not make me sick discussing their duty to God,
  他们不会讨论自己对上帝的义务而让我恶心难受,
  Not one is dissatisfied, not one is demented with the mania of owning things,
  没有一个会心存不满,没有一个会为了占有的癖好而疯魔欲狂,
  Not one kneels to another, nor to his kind that lived thousands of years ago,
  谁也不会向另一个屈膝下跪,或者向生活在千万年前的同类屈膝下跪,
  Not one is respectable or unhappy over the whole earth.
  没有谁会在整个世界都受到尊宠,也没有谁会在整个世界都感到愁苦悲哀。

  So they show their relations to me and I accept them,
  就这样他们向我展示了他们之间的关系,而我也接受了他们,
  They bring me tokens of myself, they evince them plainly in their possession.
  他们带给我象征我自己的标志,他们坦白地表示,这些标志掌握在他们手中。

  I wonder where they get those tokens,
  我惊奇这些标志他们得于何方,
  Did I pass that way huge times ago and negligently drop them?
  莫非很久很久之前,我曾经由那条路经过,并且粗心地把它们失落?

  Myself moving forward then and now and forever,
  让我自己向前行进啊,从那时到现在直到永远,
  Gathering and showing more always and with velocity,
  收集并且展示越来越多的东西,我永不停息动作快捷,
  Infinite and mnigenous, and the like of these among them,
  我收集的东西无穷无尽无所不包,而所说的这些标志啊就在它们之中,
  Not too exclusive toward the reachers of my remembrancers,
  我不会十分苛刻地挑选那伸手向我索取纪念之物的人,
  Picking out here one that I love, and now go with him on brotherly terms.
  我在这里就挑选了我所爱的一个,并且现在就与他订立兄弟之约,与他同行。

  A gigantic beauty of a stallion, fresh and responsive to my caresses,
  这是一匹硕壮俊美的公马,他朝气勃勃,回应着我的爱抚,
  Head high in the forehead, wide between the ears,
  他头部有高高的前额,双耳间距宽阔,
  Limbs glossy and supple, tail dusting the ground,
  四肢光滑灵活,尾巴扑打着地上的尘土,
  Eyes full of sparkling wickedness, ears finely cut, flexibly moving.
  眼中充满顽劣的火星啊,造型精致的双耳,灵活地转动。

  His nostrils dilate as my heels embrace him,
  他张大了鼻孔,当我用脚跟将他环抱,
  His well-built limbs tremble with pleasure as we race around and return.
  他健美的四肢欢喜地颤动啊,当我们在四周飞奔再回还。
  I but use you a minute, then I resign you, stallion,
  可是,公马,我只借用你片刻,然后我便要辞你而去,
  Why do I need your paces when I myself out-gallop them?
  因为我为何要借助你的步子,当我自己奔驰的步点已经超越它们?
  Even as I stand or sit passing faster than you.
  我行进的速度要快过你啊,就算我只是站着或者坐着。
  Title: Song of Myself (33)
  题目:歌唱自我(33)

  33

  Space and Time! now I see it is true, what I guess'd at,
  时间与空间!如今我认识到,我所猜想的是对的,
  What I guess'd when I loaf'd on the grass,
  我在草地上漫步时所猜想是对的,
  What I guess'd while I lay alone in my bed,
  我独自一人躺在床上所猜想的是对的,
  And again as I walk'd the beach under the paling stars of the morning.
  在清晨淡去的星光下,我走在海滩上时所猜想的也是对的。

  My ties and ballasts leave me, my elbows rest in sea-gaps,
  解开系住我的绳缆缷去我那压舱的重荷,我把双肘支靠在大海的两边,
  I skirt sierras, my palms cover continents,
  我沿着锯齿形的山脊环行闪转,我用手掌覆盖大洲大陆,
  I am afoot with my vision.
  我以视线为足,徒步巡行。

  By the city's quadrangular houses —— in log huts, camping with lumbermen,
  从城市里方方正正的房子边走过---与伐木工人们一起,宿营在小木屋中,
  Along the ruts of the turnpike, along the dry gulch and rivulet bed,
  沿着税卡里的车辙走过,沿着干涸的冲沟和小溪故道走过,
  Weeding my onion-patch or hoeing rows of carrots and parsnips, crossing savannas, trailing in forests,
  到我那块种着洋葱的小小地头里去锄草,在成排的胡萝卜和欧防风间松土挖地,穿过稀树草原,在森林中寻迹追踪,
  Prospecting, gold-digging, girdling the trees of a new purchase,
  勘探,掘金,对刚刚买下的林地里的树木进行树皮环割,
  Scorch'd ankle-deep by the hot sand, hauling my boat down the shallow river,
  被灼伤的脚踝深陷在炙热的沙中,沿着河道很浅的河流拖着我的小船往下游走去,
  Where the panther walks to and fro on a limb overhead, where the buck turns furiously at the hunter,
  我走过的地方黑豹来回逡巡于头顶的枝干,我走过的地方雄鹿暴躁地掉头朝向猎手,
  Where the rattlesnake suns his flabby length on a rock, where the otter is feeding on fish,
  我走过的地方响尾蛇在岩石上晒着绵软细长的身体,我走过的地方水獭在吃着鱼儿,
  Where the alligator in his tough pimples sleeps by the bayou,
  我走过的地方短吻鳄披着疙疙瘩瘩的硬皮眠在河口,
  Where the black bear is searching for roots or honey, where the beaver pats the mud with his paddle-shaped tail;
  我走过的地方黑熊在搜找树根和蜜糖,我走过的地方,海狸用桨状的尾巴拍打烂泥,
  Over the growing sugar, over the yellow-flower'd cotton plant, over the rice in its low moist field,
  我越过正在生长的甘蔗林,我越过开着黄色花朵的棉花地,我越过潮湿低地上的稻米田,
  Over the sharp-peak'd farm house, with its scallop'd scum and slender shoots from the gutters,
  我越过屋顶尖尖的农舍,它的檐沟旁有扇形的污迹,檐沟上还长出了柔弱的枝条,
  Over the western persimmon, over the long-leav'd corn, over the delicate blue-flower flax,
  我越过西部的柿树,我越过叶子长长的玉米,我越过开着雅致纤弱的蓝色花朵的亚麻,
  Over the white and brown buckwheat, a hummer and buzzer there with the rest,
  我越过白褐交错的荞麦,我在那里与其他人一起忙碌匆匆,
  Over the dusky green of the rye as it ripples and shades in the breeze;
  我越过暗绿色的黑麦,在微风里它轻荡微波色彩出现细微的变化,
  Scaling mountains, pulling myself cautiously up, holding on by low scragged limbs,
  我攀登在山峰之上,抓紧低矮枯瘦的枝干,小心翼翼地把身体向上提起,
  Walking the path worn in the grass and beat through the leaves of the brush,
  我走过草地上踏出的小路,拨开灌木的叶片从中间穿过,
  Where the quail is whistling betwixt the woods and the wheatlot,
  我走过的地方鹌鹑在树林和麦田间婉啭鸣叫,
  Where the bat flies in the Seventh-month eve, where the great gold-bug drops through the dark,
  我走过的地方蝙蝠在七月的黄昏里飞翔,我走过的地方大个的金甲虫穿过黑暗落下,
  Where the brook puts out of the roots of the old tree and flows to the meadow,
  我走过的地方溪水从老树的根下涌出,向着河边的草地流去,
  Where cattle stand and shake away flies with the tremulous shuddering of their hides,
  我走过的地方有站立的畜群,它们的皮肤剧烈地颤动着想赶走身上的飞蝇,

  Where the cheese-cloth hangs in the kitchen, where andirons straddle the earth-slab, where cobwebs fall in festoons from the rafters;
  我走过的地方厨房里挂着干酪包布,我走过的地方壁炉的石板炉床上横放着铁制的柴架,我走过的地方屋椽上挂下了蛛网的穗边;
  Where trip-hammers crash, where the press is whirling its cylinders,
  我走过的地方杵锤咣咣落下,我走过的地方印刷机辊筒飞旋,
  Where the human heart beats with terrible throes under its ribs,
  我走过的地方人们的心脏伴着剧列的疼痛在肋骨下跳动,
  Where the pear-shaped balloon is floating aloft, (floating in it myself and looking composedly down,)
  我走过的地方形状像梨子的气球在高空飘浮,(我自己就在气球里漂浮着,镇定自若地朝下看去,)
  Where the life-car is drawn on the slip-noose, where the heat hatches pale-green eggs in the dented sand,
  我走过的地方救生车拖曳在一个活结套上,我走过的地方沙窝里的热气孵化着淡青色的蛋,
  Where the she-whale swims with her calf and never forsakes it,
  我走过的地方母鲸带着幼仔游来,它永远都不会抛弃它的幼儿,
  Where the steam-ship trails hind-ways its long pennant of smoke,
  我走过的地方蒸汽船朝后拖出烟迹,像一面长长的三角旗帜,
  Where the fin of the shark cuts like a black chip out of the water,
  我走过的地方鲨鱼的背鳍如同一艘黑色的薄片切出水面,
  Where the half-burn'd brig is riding on unknown currents,
  我走过的地方烧得半焦的双桅船顺着无人知晓的洋流飘去,
  Where shells grow to her slimy deck, where the dead are corrupting below;
  在那里贝壳长上了她黏滑的甲板,尸体躺在她的舱底渐渐腐烂,
  Where the dense-starr'd flag is borne at the head of the regiments,
  我走过的地方军队的前面擎起了那面缀有许多星星的旗帜,
  Approaching Manhattan up by the long-stretching island,
  顺着狭长的岛往上走去,我来到了曼哈顿,
  Under Niagara, the cataract falling like a veil over my countenance,
  站在尼亚加拉的下面,下落的瀑布像一层轻纱盖住了我的面颜,
  Upon a door-step, upon the horse-block of hard wood outside,
  我站在门阶之上,我站在门外那硬木制成的上马的踏台之上,
  Upon the race-course, or enjoying picnics or jigs or a good game of base-ball,
  我来到了赛马场里,我享受着野餐,开心地跳着吉格舞,美美地打上一场棒球,
  At he-festivals, with blackguard gibes, ironical license, bull-dances, drinking, laughter,
  我来到了男人的狂欢节,这里有低俗的玩笑,荒唐放纵,只对男人开放的舞会,狂饮,大笑,
  At the cider-mill tasting the sweets of the brown mash, sucking the juice through a straw,
  我在苹果酒厂里品尝着那甜蜜的棕色的酒浆,用一根吸管吮吸果汁,
  At apple-peelings wanting kisses for all the red fruit I find,
  我来到给苹果去皮的地方,想为我找到的每一个红红的苹果而得到亲吻,
  At musters, beach-parties, friendly bees, huskings, house-raisings;
  我走进聚集的人群,走进沙滩派对,友情乐聚,乡村碾米会,还有建造房屋的地方,
  Where the mocking-bird sounds his delicious gurgles, cackles, screams, weeps,
  我走过的地方啊,学舌鸟发出美妙有趣的叫声,有汩汩流水,有格格轻笑,有尖声大叫,还有啜泣悲哭,
  Where the hay-rick stands in the barn-yard, where the dry-stalks are scatter'd, where the brood-cow waits in the hovel,
  我走过的地方,谷仓场院堆起了干草的垛子,我走过的地方到处散落着秸秆干茎,我走过的地方,畜棚里拴着等待配种的母牛,

  Where the bull advances to do his masculine work, where the stud to the mare, where the cock is treading the hen,
  我走过的地方,公牛走上前来,去尽一尽自己的雄性义务,我走过的地方,公种马向母马走去,我走过的地方,公鸡正骑在母鸡身上,
  Where the heifers browse, where geese nip their food with short jerks,
  我走过的地方,还没有发育的小母牛啃着青草,我走过的地方,鹅群啄食着食物,猛地伸长了脖子,
  Where sun-down shadows lengthen over the limitless and lonesome prairie,
  我走过的地方,太阳落山时投下的黑影,在那无边无际寂寞无依的草原上渐渐拉长,
  Where herds of buffalo make a crawling spread of the square miles far and near,
  我走过的地方,水牛群慢慢移动,覆盖了远近数英里的区域,
  Where the humming-bird shimmers, where the neck of the long-lived swan is curving and winding,
  我走过的地方,振翅的蜂鸟犹如闪烁的微光,我走过的地方,那长寿的天鹅把他的颈项曲转环回,
  Where the laughing-gull scoots by the shore, where she laughs her near-human laugh,
  我走过的地方,笑鸥沿着岸边疾翔,在那儿她发出笑声,多像人类的大笑,
  Where bee-hives range on a gray bench in the garden half hid by the high weeds,
  我走过的地方,条凳半掩在花园里高高的苇草中,上面排列着个个蜂箱,
  Where band-neck'd partridges roost in a ring on the ground with their heads out,
  我走过的地方,脖子上长着条饰的松鸡栖息在地上,他们头向着外面围成了一圈,
  Where burial coaches enter the arch'd gates of a cemetery,
  我走过的地方,送葬的马车驶进了墓园的拱形大门,
  Where winter wolves bark amid wastes of snow and icicled trees,
  我走过的地方,冬天的狼群在冰雪覆盖的荒原和冰柱悬挂的树林中嗥叫,
  Where the yellow-crown'd heron comes to the edge of the marsh at night and feeds upon small crabs,
  我走过的地方,黄色头冠的苍鹭在夜里来到沼泽边上寻找小蟹饱腹充饥,
  Where the splash of swimmers and divers cools the warm noon,
  我走过的地方,游泳者和跳水者溅起的水花让温热的正午变得凉爽,
  Where the katy-did works her chromatic reed on the walnut-tree over the wall,
  我走过的地方,纺织娘在墙头上的核桃树上拨弄她音色多变的簧片,
  Through patches of citrons and cucumbers with silver-wired leaves,
  我穿过这一小块一小块的土地,那地里种着香橼和叶子上交织着银线的黄瓜,
  Through the salt-lick or orange glade, or under conical firs,
  我穿过盐渍地和橘林间的空地,我站在圆锥形的水杉树下,
  Through the gymnasium, through the curtain'd saloon, through the office or public hall;
  我穿过体育馆,我穿过挂着帘幕的沙龙,我穿过办公室和公众大厅;
  Pleas'd with the native and pleas'd with the foreign, pleas'd with the new and old,
  本地人让我感到愉悦,外国人也让我愉悦,新来的人和以前来的人都使我愉悦,
  Pleas'd with the homely woman as well as the handsome,
  相貌平平与面容姣美的女人让我同样地愉悦,
  Pleas'd with the quakeress as she puts off her bonnet and talks melodiously,
  教友派的女信徒让我愉悦,她摘下了她的无檐女帽,说起话来优美悦耳,
  Pleas'd with the tune of the choir of the whitewash'd church,
  刷得白白的教堂里,合唱队的曲调让我愉悦,
  Pleas'd with the earnest words of the sweating Methodist preacher, impress'd seriously at the camp-meeting;
  那汗津津的卫理公会牧师的恳切言辞让我感到愉悦,在野外布道会上我被深深地打动了,
  Looking in at the shop-windows of Broadway the whole forenoon, flatting the flesh of my nose on the thick plate glass,
  在百老汇大街商店的橱窗前,我看了一整个上午,我的鼻尖在那又厚又平的玻璃上被压平了,
  (Continue/续)

  Wandering the same afternoon with my face turn'd up to the clouds, or down a lane or along the beach,
  在同一个下午我信步漫游,仰脸向着云彩,或者走进一条小巷,或者沿着海滩,
  My right and left arms round the sides of two friends, and I in the middle;
  我的左右臂膊环绕在两个朋友的腰间,而我就在他们中间;
  Coming home with the silent and dark-cheek'd bush-boy, (behind me he rides at the drape of the day,)
  我把这沉默寡言的黑脸颊丛林少年带回了家中,(他骑马跟在我的身后,那时白天正在降下帷幕,)
  Far from the settlements studying the print of animals' feet, or the moccasin print,
  在离开居民点很远的地方,我研究着动物的足蹄,或者鹿皮靴子留下的印迹,
  By the cot in the hospital reaching lemonade to a feverish patient,
  在医院的帆布床边,我把柠檬水递给一个发烧的病人,
  Nigh the coffin'd corpse when all is still, examining with a candle;
  在万籁俱静的时候我凑近棺中的那具尸体,点起一根蜡烛仔细端详;
  Voyaging to every port to dicker and adventure,
  为了小小的生意或者闯荡冒险,我航行在每一个港口,
  Hurrying with the modern crowd as eager and fickle as any,
  和赶新潮的家伙们一起忙前忙后,和他们每一个一样,我充满渴望与浮燥,
  Hot toward one I hate, ready in my madness to knife him,
  面对那个可恨的人我火气上腾,如果失去了理智我会捅他一刀,
  Solitary at midnight in my back yard, my thoughts gone from me a long while,
  午夜在我的后院我寂寞孤单,思绪离开我久久不还,
  Walking the old hills of Judaea with the beautiful gentle God by my side,
  我的思绪在古老的朱迪亚山岗上行走,美丽温柔的上帝相陪在我的身旁,
  Speeding through space, speeding through heaven and the stars,
  我的思绪飞速地穿越太空,飞速地穿越天空和星星,
  Speeding amid the seven satellites and the broad ring, and the diameter of eighty thousand miles,
  我的思绪在七颗卫星和宽宽的圆环之间飞速地穿梭,穿梭于这八万英里的直径之中,
  Speeding with tail'd meteors, throwing fire-balls like the rest,
  我的思绪和那带尾的流星一同飞奔,像它们一样把火球抛射,
  Carrying the crescent child that carries its own full mother in its belly,
  我的思维带着孩儿般的新月一同飞行啊,这孩儿的腹中孕育着它自己那丰盈的母亲,
  Storming, enjoying, planning, loving, cautioning,
  时而狂暴,时而自得其乐,时而深谋远虑,时而热爱依恋,时而谨慎小心,
  Backing and filling, appearing and disappearing,
  时而闪避折进,时而现身或隐去,
  I tread day and night such roads.
  每日每夜啊,我蹴踏于这些道路之上。

  I visit the orchards of spheres and look at the product,
  我去访问每一个天体的果园,去看看其中生长的果物,
  And look at quintillions ripen'd and look at quintillions green.
  我看见了亿亿万万的果实已熟,也看见了亿亿万万的果色尚青。

  I fly those flights of a fluid and swallowing soul,
  我用我那流体般的能吞食一切的灵魂去进行着这些飞行,
  My course runs below the soundings of plummets.
  我的轨迹比测锤的测程还深。

  I help myself to material and immaterial,
  我用物质的东西,也用非物质的东西来喂养我自己,
  No guard can shut me off, no law prevent me.
  任何守卫也不能将我隔绝禁锢,也没有法律可以把我阻止防范。

  I anchor my ship for a little while only,
  我的船儿只会驻锚息桨稍停片刻,
  My messengers continually cruise away or bring their returns to me.
  而我的信使依旧会持续巡航远方,并将他们的信使送返回我的身边。

  I go hunting polar furs and the seal, leaping chasms with a pike-pointed staff, clinging to topples of brittle and blue.
  我去猎取极地的野兽与海狮啊,靠一根带尖头的木杖我跳过裂口,紧紧抓住那摇摇欲坠的脆弱的蓝色冰柱。

  I ascend to the foretruck,
  我爬到了前桅冠上,
  I take my place late at night in the crow's-nest,
  我在桅上的瞭望台里为后半夜值班,
  We sail the arctic sea, it is plenty light enough,
  我们在南极的海上航行,海上的光亮非常充足,
  Through the clear atmosphere I stretch around on the wonderful beauty,
  透过那清澈的空气我伸长了身子观望四周这神奇的美景,
  The enormous masses of ice pass me and I pass them, the scenery is plain in all directions,
  聚集在一起的巨大的冰块从我身边经过,我也从它们身边经过,四方的景物都清晰无碍,
  The white-topt mountains show in the distance, I fling out my fancies toward them,
  白顶的群山在远方出现,我把我的梦幻想象投射于它们身上,
  We are approaching some great battle-field in which we are soon to be engaged,
  我们正在靠近了某一个伟大的战场,在那里我们马上将要投入战斗,
  We pass the colossal outposts of the encampment, we pass with still feet and caution,
  我们绕过了野营地的庞大前哨,我们绕过他们脚步轻轻小心翼翼,
  Or we are entering by the suburbs some vast and ruin'd city,
  又或许,我们正在经过郊区进入一个巨大的变成了废墟的城市,
  The blocks and fallen architecture more than all the living cities of the globe.
  在那儿断墙残壁和倒塌的建筑比地球上所有还有生命的市镇里的加起来还多。

  I am a free companion, I bivouac by invading watchfires,
  我是一个中世纪的雇佣兵,我露营在入侵者点起的营火之侧,
  I turn the bridegroom out of bed and stay with the bride myself,
  我从床上把新郎赶走,让自己和新娘躺在了一起,
  I tighten her all night to my thighs and lips.
  我整夜紧压着她啊,用我的大腿和嘴唇。

  My voice is the wife's voice, the screech by the rail of the stairs,
  那个妻子发出的声音就是我的声音,她在楼梯栏杆边发出凄厉的尖叫,
  They fetch my man's body up dripping and drown'd.
  他们捞起了我那被淹死的男人的水淋淋的尸体。

  I understand the large hearts of heroes,
  我懂得英雄们的伟大心脏,
  The courage of present times and all times,
  我理解当今以及所有的时代里涌现的勇气,
  How the skipper saw the crowded and rudderless wreck of the steamship, and Death chasing it up and down the storm,
  这位船长是怎样才能照管下来这艘挤满人又没了舵的失事蒸汽船的啊,当时死神随着风暴在上上下下地追逐着它,
  How he knuckled tight and gave not back an inch, and was faithful of days and faithful of nights,
  他是怎样坚决地坚持着的啊,一丝一毫也不后退,他忠实可靠地坚持着每一个白天,他忠实可靠地坚持着每一个晚上,
  And chalk'd in large letters on a board, Be of good cheer, we will not desert you;
  在一块板子上,他用粉笔大大地写下,一定要振作啊,我们决不会抛弃你们;

  How he follow'd with them and tack'd with them three days and would not give it up,
  在三天的时间里,他怎样和他们一起顺流漂泊,和他们一起抢风行驶,决不放弃,
  How he saved the drifting company at last,
  他又怎样最后拯救了他飘浮在海上的同伴,
  How the lank loose-gown'd women look'd when boated from the side of their prepared graves,
  那些憔悴的穿着宽松长袍的瘦弱妇女变成了怎样的模样啊,当小船载着她们离开已经为她们备好的坟墓的时候,
  How the silent old-faced infants and the lifted sick, and the sharp-lipp'd unshaved men;
  那些沉默的面容苍老的婴儿,那个被抬着的病人,那些嘴唇尖瘦,髭须不修的男人们啊,变成了怎样的摸样,
  All this I swallow, it tastes good, I like it well, it becomes mine, I am the man, I suffer'd, I was there.
  我吞咽下了所有的这些,它们味道不错,我非常地喜欢,它们成为了我的一部分,我就是那个人,我经受了痛苦,我就在现场。

  The disdain and calmness of martyrs,
  我还看到了殉难者的轻蔑和平静,
  The mother of old, condemn'd for a witch, burnt with dry wood, her children gazing on,
  那个年老的母亲,被判定是一个女巫,被干柴烧死了,她的孩子们在一旁睁着眼睛看着,
  The hounded slave that flags in the race, leans by the fence, blowing, cover'd with sweat,
  那个被猎狗追着的奴隶在这场赛跑中耗尽了力气,他倚靠着围栏,呼吸急促,身上淌满汗水,
  The twinges that sting like needles his legs and neck, the murderous buckshot and the bullets,
  那如同谋杀一般打进他身体的大号铅弹和颗颗散弹,像针一样刺着他的双腿和脖颈,产生着剧痛,
  All these I feel or am.
  我感觉到了这所有的一切,我是这所有的人。

  I am the hounded slave, I wince at the bite of the dogs,
  我是那个被猎狗追逐的奴隶,在狗群的撕咬下我缩成一团,
  Hell and despair are upon me, crack and again crack the marksmen,
  地狱与绝望朝我袭来,枪手们呯的一枪又呯的一枪,
  I clutch the rails of the fence, my gore dribs, thinn'd with the ooze of my skin,
  我抓紧了围栏的横档,我的血点点滴下,皮肤下渗出的汗水让它变得稀薄,
  I fall on the weeds and stones,
  我倒在了杂草和石头上,
  The riders spur their unwilling horses, haul close,
  骑手用马刺踢着不情愿的马匹,逼迫它们靠近我,
  Taunt my dizzy ears and beat me violently over the head with whip-stocks.
  在我嗡嗡的耳边嘲笑着,用马鞭的杆子劈头盖脑对我凶狠地殴打。

  Agonies are one of my changes of garments,
  痛苦是一件我日常替换的衣裳,
  I do not ask the wounded person how he feels, I myself become the wounded person,
  我不需要问那个受伤的人感觉如何,因为我自己就会成为那个受伤的人。
  My hurts turn livid upon me as I lean on a cane and observe.
  我倚靠着一根木杖仔细观察,此时我的伤痛在我身上变成了青黑的印记。

  I am the mash'd fireman with breast-bone broken,
  我是那个被砸得血肉模糊胸骨破碎的消防员啊,
  Tumbling walls buried me in their debris,
  倒坍的墙体把我埋在了它们的碎屑之中,
  Heat and smoke I inspired, I heard the yelling shouts of my comrades,
  热和烟都被我吸入体内,但我能听见我的同志们的叫喊呼唤,
  I heard the distant click of their picks and shovels,
  我听见他们镐锹的撞击声从遥远的地方传来,
  They have clear'd the beams away, they tenderly lift me forth.
  他们已经清走了那些梁柱,他们轻轻地把我抬了出来。

  I lie in the night air in my red shirt, the pervading hush is for my sake,
  在夜晚的空气里,我躺着,穿着我那红色的衬衫,为了我四周鸦雀无声,
  Painless after all I lie exhausted but not so unhappy,
  我完全感觉不到痛苦,虽然我精疲力竭地躺下了,但我并不那么不快活,
  White and beautiful are the faces around me, the heads are bared of their fire-caps,
  围绕着我的面孔苍白而美丽,他们都摘下了消防帽,光着自己的脑袋,
  The kneeling crowd fades with the light of the torches.
  这跪着的人群啊,随着火炬的光亮渐渐隐去。

  Distant and dead resuscitate,
  远去的景象和死者都开始复活,
  They show as the dial or move as the hands of me, I am the clock myself.
  他们现身为我的钟面,或者是我那走动着的指针,而我自己则是那时钟本身。

  I am an old artillerist, I tell of my fort's bombardment,
  我是一个老炮手,我要讲述我要塞上的炮战,
  I am there again.
  我又一次回到那里。

  Again the long roll of the drummers,
  又是鼓手们长长的起伏的鼓点,
  Again the attacking cannon, mortars,
  又是加农炮,迫击炮的攻击,
  Again to my listeing ears the cannon responsive.
  在我聆听着的耳中也又一次响起加农炮的还击。

  I take part, I see and hear the whole,
  我是其中的一份子,我看见和听见了全部的战斗,
  The cries, curses, roar, the plaudits for well-aim'd shots,
  哭喊声,诅咒声,咆哮声,准确击中目标时喝彩声,
  The ambulanza slowly passing trailing its red drip,
  救护车慢慢驶过,驶过的地方留下点点红色印迹,
  Workmen searching after damages, making indispensable repairs,
  维修工找寻着损坏的地方,做着最简单的修理,
  The fall of grenades through the rent roof, the fan-shaped explosion,
  手榴弹从破裂的屋顶落下,呈扇面爆炸,
  The whizz of limbs, heads, stone, wood, iron, high in the air.
  然后肢体、头颅、石头、木块、铁块都嗖嗖地高飞在空中。

  Again gurgles the mouth of my dying general, he furiously waves with his hand,
  然后我的只剩最后一口气的将军嘴里又冒出鲜血,他疯狂地挥舞着手,
  He gasps through the clot Mind not me —— mind —— the entrenchments.
  透过凝结的血块他喘着气说,别管我----注意----堑壕。
  Title: Song of Myself (34)
  题目:歌唱自我(34)

  34

  Now I tell what I knew in Texas in my early youth,
  现在我来讲讲我所知道的,在我少年时代发生在德克萨斯的一个故事,
  (I tell not the fall of Alamo,
  (我讲的不是阿拉莫的陷落,
  Not one escaped to tell the fall of Alamo,
  那一次没有人活着逃出,来告诉大家阿拉莫是怎么陷落的,
  The hundred and fifty are dumb yet at Alamo,)
  阿拉莫的那一百五十个人啊,依然发不出声音。)
  'Tis the tale of the murder in cold blood of four hundred and twelve young men.
  这是一个关于四百一十二个年轻人啊,他们被冷血地谋杀了的故事。

  Retreating they had form'd in a hollow square with their baggage for breastworks,
  正在撤退的他们把自己的行李垒成胸墙围在四周,摆下一个空心的方阵,

  Nine hundred lives out of the surrounding enemy's, nine times their number, was the price they took in advance,
  九倍于他们的敌人,包围着他们,九百条敌人的生命,是他们已经得到的代价,
  Their colonel was wounded and their ammunition gone,
  指挥他们的上校已经负伤,他们的弹药已经用尽,
  They treated for an honorable capitulation, receiv'd writing and seal, gave up their arms and march'd back prisoners of war.
  他们要求在得到尊重的条件下投降,他们得到了盖着印章的书面承诺,他们放下了武器,排着队作为战俘走了回去。

  They were the glory of the race of rangers,
  他们是游骑兵这个兵种的荣光啊,
  Matchless with horse, rifle, song, supper, courtship,
  他们的马术、枪法、唱歌、参加晚宴、向女人献殷勤,这些都举世无双,
  Large, turbulent, generous, handsome, proud, and affectionate,
  他们体格高大、活跃好动、慷慨大方、英俊漂亮、自尊高傲,而且温柔多情,
  Bearded, sunburnt, drest in the free costume of hunters,
  他们留着连鬓胡,皮肤晒得黝黑,穿着轻便舒适的猎装,
  Not a single one over thirty years of age.
  没有一个年纪超过三十。

  The second First-day morning they were brought out in squads and massacred, it was beautiful early summer,
  在第二个星期天的早上啊,他们被一小队一小队地带出来屠杀了,那时是美丽的初夏,
  The work commenced about five o'clock and was over by eight.
  屠杀在大约五点开始,而结束时八点已过。

  None obey'd the command to kneel,
  谁也不肯听命跪下,
  Some made a mad and helpless rush, some stood stark and straight,
  有人疯狂无助朝前冲去,也有人挺起身子,直直地站立,
  A few fell at once, shot in the temple or heart, the living and dead lay together,
  有几个立刻倒下,枪弹射中了他们的太阳穴或者心脏,活着的和死了的混杂着躺在了一起,
  The maim'd and mangled dug in the dirt, the new-comers saw them there,
  血肉模糊的伤重者在泥地里挣扎着啊,他们的境况被新带来的看在了眼里,
  Some half-kill'd attempted to crawl away,
  一些半死的想爬着走开,
  These were despatch'd with bayonets or batter'd with the blunts of muskets.
  他们被刺刀捅死,或者被毛瑟枪的枪托打死。
  A youth not seventeen years old seiz'd his assassin till two more came to release him,
  一个少年啊,他还不到十七岁,他紧紧地抓住了那个在背后暗害他的人,直到又上来两个帮那人解脱,
  The three were all torn and cover'd with the boy's blood.
  这三个人的衣服都被撕破了,沾满了这个孩子的血。

  At eleven o'clock began the burning of the bodies;
  十一点时他们开始焚烧尸体,
  That is the tale of the murder of the four hundred and twelve young men.
  这就是那个四百一十二个年轻人被谋杀的故事。


  Title: Song of Myself (35)
  题目:歌唱自我(35)

  35

  Would you hear of an old-time sea-fight?
  有一场发生在很久以前的海战,你想听听吗?
  Would you learn who won by the light of the moon and stars?
  你想知道在月亮和星光下,是谁获得了胜利吗?
  List to the yarn, as my grandmother's father the sailor told it to me.
  那就且听我道来,我的水手太外公就是这样讲给我听的。


  Our foe was no skulk in his ship I tell you, (said he,)
  我告诉你,我们的对手可没有龟缩在自己的船里,(他是这样说的,)
  His was the surly English pluck, and there is no tougher or truer, and never was, and never will be;
  他的战船就像一个粗鲁的英国猛汉,不会有比这更强硬,更货真价实的了,以前从来没有过,以后也不再会有,
  Along the lower'd eve he came horribly raking us.
  借着黄昏的降临时他凶猛地斜着冲向我们。

  We closed with him, the yards entangled, the cannon touch'd,
  我们与他紧靠着,帆桁缠结在一起,加农炮口贴在了一起,
  My captain lash'd fast with his own hands.
  我的舰长亲手用绳索把对方和我们牢牢地拴在一起。

  We had receiv'd some eighteen pound shots under the water,
  几颗十八磅的炮弹在水线下击中了我们,
  On our lower-gun-deck two large pieces had burst at the first fire, killing all around and blowing up overhead.
  我们的下层炮甲板上的两门大炮在第一轮交火中就炸开了,周围的人都被炸死了,上层被掀开了。

  Fighting at sun-down, fighting at dark,
  战斗在落日下进行着,战斗在黒暗中进行着,
  Ten o'clock at night, the full moon well up, our leaks on the gain, and five feet of water reported,
  夜里十点,满月高高升起,我们的战舰上的漏洞已经堵不住了,得到的报告说水已经五呎深了,
  The master-at-arms loosing the prisoners confined in the after-hold to give them a chance for themselves.
  纠察长放出了关在艉货仓里的囚犯,让他们自己去寻找一线逃生的机会。

  The transit to and from the magazine is now stopt by the sentinels,
  哨兵们不再让人们从弹药舱前经过,
  They see so many strange faces they do not know whom to trust.
  因为他们看到了太多的陌生面孔,他们不知道谁可以相信。

  Our frigate takes fire,
  我们的战舰着了火,
  The other asks if we demand quarter?
  那一方问我们,要不要投降?
  If our colors are struck and the fighting done?
  我们是不是已经降下了旗子,战斗是否已经结束?
  Now I laugh content, for I hear the voice of my little captain,
  这时我宽慰地笑了,因为我听见了我那小个子舰长的声音啊,
  We have not struck, he composedly cries, we have just begun our part of the fighting.
  我们没有降下旗子,他镇定地喊着,我们这一方的战斗这才算刚刚开始。

  Only three guns are in use,
  我们只剩下三门炮还可以用,
  One is directed by the captain himself against the enemy's main-mast,
  一门炮由舰长亲自指挥,对准了敌人的主桅杆,
  Two well serv'd with grape and canister silence his musketry and clear his decks.
  另两门满满填上葡萄弹和霰弹,打哑了敌人的步枪,扫平了敌人的甲板。

  The tops alone second the fire of this little battery, especially the main-top,
  只有桅楼上的人还在跟随着这一小群炮组开火,其中最突出的是那主桅楼上的人,
  They hold out bravely during the whole of the action.
  他们勇敢地坚持着,在整个战斗中不停地坚持着。

  Not a moment's cease,
  一分钟都没有停下,
  The leaks gain fast on the pumps, the fire eats toward the powder-magazine.
  很快,泵就来不及抽掉漏进来的水了,火也快要吞噬弹药库房。

  One of the pumps has been shot away, it is generally thought we are sinking.
  一只泵已经被打坏了,大家都以为我们就要沉了。

  Serene stands the little captain,
  但小个子舰长平静安详地站立着,
  He is not hurried, his voice is neither high nor low,
  他行动不急也不忙,他声音不高也不低,
  His eyes give more light to us than our battle-lanterns.
  他的眼睛投给我们的光明啊,比我们战斗中的照明灯的还要亮。

  Toward twelve there in the beams of the moon they surrender to us.
  快到十二点的时候,在月亮的亮光下,他们向我们投降了。
到顶部